• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,750 posts in this topic

PlanetComics29CGC92_zps2895a69b.jpg

I am very envious of that 29. It is a book I want to upgrade, my cgc 3.0 has some rather bad fading/tanning to it.

Grats! Such a gorgeous book.

I used to own a very decent raw copy and did my usual thing of selling it before I'd upgraded. Cant recall exactly when that was - probably four years at least.

If I remember rightly Kelly also has a nice one - but I think it's a fairly tough book.

I'll look out for you. I'm better at finding books for other people than for myself!

That price was incredible. I didn't think it would break $1000.

The two 71s went for big prices as well. $4000+ for the 9.0 and $1000 for an overgraded fine in the weekly auction. Looks like this issue is finally getting its due as one of the best atomic age covers out there.

Makes me happy. It's the only book from the golden or atomic ages that I have two high grade copies of.

The two 71s went for big prices as well. $4000+ for the 9.0 and $1000 for an overgraded fine in the weekly auction. Looks like this issue is finally getting its due as one of the best atomic age covers out there.

Makes me happy. It's the only book from the golden or atomic ages that I have two high grade copies of.

Happy to have a nice de-slabbed 6.5 as well. I need to post it! It's by far my favourite Planet cover and didn't have to pay 1k for it!! :)

Happy to have a nice de-slabbed 6.5 as well. I need to post it! It's by far my favourite Planet cover and didn't have to pay 1k for it!! :)

Yeah, the price increases on this one seem to be a recent thing (the past year). I think I paid $1000 for my 8.5/9.0 copy a few years back, which was aggressive at the time.

Any idea why the Planet 66 cgc 7.5 went for so high? I am still scratching my head over that one.

It's my fault. I've been after a nice copy for 20 years and passed on any number of lesser copies - several on Heritage in the recent past. It's certainly my favorite of the ones I don't already have, and the only Whitman Planet cover I now need. But overall I think I prefer #71, #72 and Man O' Mars.

So I kept a lot in reserve and didn't bid on a lot of others I might have to make sure of it. I thought it might possibly hit $1500, and I put way more than that on it via proxy.

For a few seconds I was winning at around $850, then it just took off and kept going.

I suppose it's because it's highest graded, but at 7.5 that status is vulnerable.

As for #71, I'd say that one went for about double what I'd've expected. Anyway, here are my Whitmans, sans #66. (I'll get that sucker one day!)

PlanetComics6585_zps901cd002.jpg

PlanetComics67_zps6059aa6e.jpg

Yeah, the price increases on this one seem to be a recent thing (the past year). I think I paid $1000 for my 8.5/9.0 copy a few years back, which was aggressive at the time.

I was surprised at the $1,100 price of the raw 71 last night. Had hopes I'd win it at half that. lol A similar raw copy sold on HA for $155 two years ago.

That Man O' Mars is dreamy Flex, thanks for posting :cloud9:

I have 3 copies, and all have at least 1 major defect :pullhair: , I will post them soon lol

I have an insatiable want for a high grade of this, but it is very likely you have the best copy in existance!

Edited by eman13

That Man O' Mars is dreamy Flex, thanks for posting :cloud9:

I have 3 copies, and all have at least 1 major defect :pullhair: , I will post them soon lol

I have an insatiable want for a high grade of this, but it is very likely you have the best copy in existance!

Calling adamstrange (again).

It's a tough one, but nice copies are out there. Here is mine. It's reasonably higher grade. Will have to take a proper scan soon.

001-18.jpg

Perhaps Whitman is finally getting his due. He's every bit as good as Wood and Baker, and while I don't collect FH, I've long felt his covers were relatively under appreciated - probably due to them being fairly common, late in the run books.

Perhaps Whitman is finally getting his due. He's every bit as good as Wood and Baker, and while I don't collect FH, I've long felt his covers were relatively under appreciated - probably due to them being fairly common, late in the run books.

Some are common, some (like the last issue of Jumbo) are next to impossible.

Some are common, some (like the last issue of Jumbo) are next to impossible.

I had to look that one up - all those horror themed issues of Jumbo have great covers, even with the distracting side bar panels.