• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,812 posts in this topic

Except the comic come out 2-3 months before the movie.

About 3 weeks to a month before.

;)

You would think the insufficiently_thoughtful_person who professes to be so knowledgeable about Star Wars comics would know that? :whistle:

Nice catch. Not sure what I was thinking when I posted that. :facepalm:

Actually 6 weeks to be exact...Star Wars #1 began shipping on March 8th, 1977 with a street date of April 12th 1977. The first two issues of Star Wars were out before the movie opened up.

Jim

Do we have any documentation for that?

;)

You would think the insufficiently_thoughtful_person who professes to be so knowledgeable about Star Wars comics would know that? :whistle:

Actually 6 weeks to be exact...Star Wars #1 began shipping on March 8th, 1977 with a street date of April 12th 1977. The first two issues of Star Wars were out before the movie opened up.

Jim

From the US Copyright Office database, all I can find is this:

http://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?v1=15&ti=1,15&Search_Arg=%22star%20wars%22%20marvel%20comic%201977&Search_Code=FT*&CNT=25&PID=-ilrWPUU_MbSauLjDyyU7d8aJwgfq&SEQ=20141119171658&SID=5

Star Wars 4 was published on 06/14/1977. Assuming a monthly publishing schedule, we would have:

Star Wars 1 03/1977

Star Wars 2 04/1977

Star Wars 3 05/1977

Star Wars came out May 25, 1977. It is probably reasonable to assume both issue 1 and 2 were on the stands when the movie came out and 3 was on its way. But I don't have any hard proof of this.

The information shared by jim came from the wookipedia:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_1

I would love to know where the exact dates came from, but the US Copyright Office information seems to support the months at least.

lollol

It's actually the first published part of From Hell.

Carl Weathers would have made a great Nick Fury.

Edited by MrWeen

;)

Jim

http://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?v1=15&ti=1,15&Search_Arg=%22star%20wars%22%20marvel%20comic%201977&Search_Code=FT*&CNT=25&PID=-ilrWPUU_MbSauLjDyyU7d8aJwgfq&SEQ=20141119171658&SID=5

Star Wars 4 was published on 06/14/1977. Assuming a monthly publishing schedule, we would have:

Star Wars 1 03/1977

Star Wars 2 04/1977

Star Wars 3 05/1977

Star Wars came out May 25, 1977. It is probably reasonable to assume both issue 1 and 2 were on the stands when the movie came out and 3 was on its way. But I don't have any hard proof of this.

I would love to know where the exact dates came from, but the US Copyright Office information seems to support the months at least.

But US Copyright info isn't "on the street", just when it's filed with the office (most likely when the completed OA was sent to the printer, meaning another 2-3 weeks to print.) The most reliable info we have is the cover date: 7/77, at that period, the books were roughly 10-12 weeks ahead of the cover date. The book wasn't on the stands in March, for sure. Marvel has (almost) never been four whole months ahead of cover date, and certainly not at this time period.

April 12th for an on sale date is within reason.

;)

Jim

Star Wars 1 03/1977

Star Wars 2 04/1977

Star Wars 3 05/1977

But US Copyright info isn't "on the street", just when it's filed with the office (most likely when the completed OA was sent to the printer, meaning another 2-3 weeks to print.) The most reliable info we have is the cover date: 7/77, at that period, the books were roughly 10-12 weeks ahead of the cover date. The book wasn't on the stands in March, for sure. Marvel has (almost) never been four whole months ahead of cover date, and certainly not at this time period.

You should re-read my post again. I was supporting the dates supplied by Jim, not refuting them. (thumbs u

I agree there may be some variance, but what all of a sudden distinguishes between "publish date" and "on the street"? Nothing. Publish date = distribution (to public) date. :)

;)

Jim

Star Wars 1 03/1977

Star Wars 2 04/1977

Star Wars 3 05/1977

You should re-read my post again. I was supporting the dates supplied by Jim, not refuting them. (thumbs u

I was neither supporting nor refuting either post, just adding to the discussion. Whatever you saw as a challenge to what you posted isn't there. No need to re-read, I understood it perfectly fine the first time.

Action #521- 1st Vixen of Suicide Squad has been getting some surprising prices lately...

I put up my OO copy and the auction just closed pretty decently:

link

Very nice! :applause: Unfortunately, I had a small gap in my Action run . . . :(

(I still may have a LG copy in a longbox somewhere though.)

I am still amazed this book still pulls a nice amount. I find one about every 2 years and never fails to sell well. Either cover doesn't matter the book doesn't stay around long in any grade. Great $1 book find.

Shadowman 6 V3

Huh? There's only one cover for #6.

My fault I thought there was a second cover for it. Maybe its just issue 1 V3. I haven't looked for a long time.

Edited by Fastballspecial

I am still amazed this book still pulls a nice amount. I find one about every 2 years and never fails to sell well. Either cover doesn't matter the book doesn't stay around long in any grade. Great $1 book find.

Shadowman 6 V3

Huh? There's only one cover for #6.

My fault I thought there was a second cover for it. Maybe its just issue 1 V3. I haven't looked for a long time.

Issue 2 has the limited The Good, the Bad, the Ugly cover.

I can't believe Iggy only got $30 for the full-size, ugh. I would have grabbed that in a heartbeat, very rare, very THF.

Not sure what you're talking about here...?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shadowman-vol-2-1-Special-Edition-Full-Size-Acclaim-Valiant-Akklaim-Shadow-Man-/251665493383?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3a986ead87

The seller's name is Iggy.