• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Value of Restored comics

68 posts in this topic

Not sure if you are unhappy because you own a restored book and "want" it to be worth more or something else, but this is just silly.

No.

I'm looking to buy an AF #15 and as I look I just have never observed any sales that follow the advice you guys are giving (e.g., I have yet to see a restored copy for sale at 20% of the unrestored price) in the lower grades.

So, I am taking your advice as a "I have yet to observe it in the wild" type of thing, in the context of AF #15.

Further, I'm saying give me a heads up if anyone actually sees someone selling a restored AF 15 at 20% of what an unrestored goes for, because at that price I'd actually be interested.

The advice was useful/interesting, I'm now going to need to see how it bears up in the reality of actually buying an AF #15 because the SELLERS I'm seeing are certainly going for the gusto on the prices they're asking on restored books (especially trimmed ones), which is certainly not following this guidance, so thanks for the advice everyone.

I'm really trying to understand (based on data I'm seeing not matching the advice), not argue.

Ok. (shrug)

FYI - I bought a CGC professional extensively restored 9.0 AF15 for 15% of the GPA recorded Blue label price at the time (a little less than two years ago) and sold it recently for 25% of the GPA recorded Blue label price. Book was NOT trimmed, but had plenty of other work done to it.

Restored values have been increasing but not hugely. What have been increasing are unrealistic online and eBay prices that have not typically ended in sales.

AF15s are very common, just expensive. Bide your time and you should be able to get what you want within reason.

lemme see: AF 15 9.0 blue = 200Kish

you sold an ext resto AF 15 9.0 for 25% of that. I.e. 50K (shrug)

Couldn't use the Feb sale, I guess my gauge of recently was a little off. (shrug)

9.0 quote was $150K.

Rounded a bit on the percentage, but yeah. What is your point?

Wow - congrats ... :angel:

Not sure if you are unhappy because you own a restored book and "want" it to be worth more or something else, but this is just silly.

No.

I'm looking to buy an AF #15 and as I look I just have never observed any sales that follow the advice you guys are giving (e.g., I have yet to see a restored copy for sale at 20% of the unrestored price) in the lower grades.

So, I am taking your advice as a "I have yet to observe it in the wild" type of thing, in the context of AF #15.

Further, I'm saying give me a heads up if anyone actually sees someone selling a restored AF 15 at 20% of what an unrestored goes for, because at that price I'd actually be interested.

The advice was useful/interesting, I'm now going to need to see how it bears up in the reality of actually buying an AF #15 because the SELLERS I'm seeing are certainly going for the gusto on the prices they're asking on restored books (especially trimmed ones), which is certainly not following this guidance, so thanks for the advice everyone.

I'm really trying to understand (based on data I'm seeing not matching the advice), not argue.

Ok. (shrug)

FYI - I bought a CGC professional extensively restored 9.0 AF15 for 15% of the GPA recorded Blue label price at the time (a little less than two years ago) and sold it recently for 25% of the GPA recorded Blue label price. Book was NOT trimmed, but had plenty of other work done to it.

Restored values have been increasing but not hugely. What have been increasing are unrealistic online and eBay prices that have not typically ended in sales.

AF15s are very common, just expensive. Bide your time and you should be able to get what you want within reason.

lemme see: AF 15 9.0 blue = 200Kish

you sold an ext resto AF 15 9.0 for 25% of that. I.e. 50K (shrug)

Couldn't use the Feb sale, I guess my gauge of recently was a little off. (shrug)

9.0 quote was $150K.

Rounded a bit on the percentage, but yeah. What is your point?

Wow - congrats ... :angel:

Thanks! It paid for a few other keys and some other bills I needed to take care of.

another resto AF#15 up for auction on sunday 2.0 C1 slight not trimmed ,with prices previous realized ,i think this will go around 3000 -3500.
http://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/amazing-fantasy-15-marvel-1962-cgc-apparent-gd-20-slight-c-1-off-white-pages/a/121445-12146.s?type=bidnotice-tracked-dailystatus

I was watching that one, mostly because of this thread (I already own a copy, bought years ago when I could actually afford one).

Good call on the final price. (thumbs u

Amazing Fantasy #15 (Marvel, 1962) CGC Apparent VG+ 4.5 Slight (C-1) Off-white pages http://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/amazing-fantasy-15-marvel-1962-cgc-apparent-vg-45-slight-c-1-off-white-pages/a/121447-14160.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013 - at ha -Just WOW!!!!! mid to low grade resto copies seem to be in a bubble of there own, easily going for 65% value in grade if not more....

Edited by fat1138

Amazing Fantasy #15 (Marvel, 1962) CGC Apparent VG+ 4.5 Slight (C-1) Off-white pages http://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/amazing-fantasy-15-marvel-1962-cgc-apparent-vg-45-slight-c-1-off-white-pages/a/121447-14160.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013 - at ha -Just WOW!!!!! mid to low grade resto copies seem to be in a bubble of there own, easily going for 65% value in grade if not more....

Very minor resto and no Marvel chipping. Had it been left alone it probably would have been a 3.0/3.5 even with the rusty staple and detached CF

7 hours ago, marciteguy1 said:

I recently purchased a Hulk # 1 CGC 9.2 restored ( slight A) cover trimmed  for  $ 7500 . there are only four total in 9.2 restored grade . am I crazy or what ?

How many edges of the cover were trimmed?  Can you tell if it was a micro trim or if quite a bit was trimmed?  Was there any other resto?  You, my friend may have just gotten a 9.2 for 1/42 of the price. Not bad.

Hulk # 1 small amount of color touch up, spine splits sealed and all three edges  trimmed . I cant tell that its trimmed at all, it must be micro trimmed . CGC graded it  9.2 slight A  off white to white pages. does anybody know what t his book is worth $7500 ?

Edited by marciteguy1

21 hours ago, marciteguy1 said:

Hulk # 1 small amount of color touch up, spine splits sealed and all three edges  trimmed . I cant tell that its trimmed at all, it must be micro trimmed . CGC graded it  9.2 slight A  off white to white pages. does anybody know what t his book is worth $7500 ?

Would you post a pic?  I'd like to see the amount of trim.  All 3 edges trimmed is unfortunate, but there's no doubt about it.... you got a great deal.

For comparison.... a Slight A trimmed 9.0 Hulk 1 sold in 2010 for $6500.  A year earlier an unrestored 9.0 sold for $100,000. so the trimmed copy went for 6.5% of the unrestored copy.  Using that scenario as a means to value yours.... it would put the value of yours at around $21,000.

Here's another comparison... a Slight A trimmed 8.5 Hulk 1 sold for $5000 in 2010.  The next year an unrestored copy sold for $55,000.  So the trimmed copy went for 9%.  Using this scenario to value yours.... it would put the value yours at around $29,000.

I think it's safe to say yours is worth at least $20k

I paid 8300.00 for my AF15 RESTORED 3.0 S.A  pages ow to white BACK IN 2015. small amount of color touch.

I love the book, Its my way to own this grail at a reasonable price. I am thinking on removing the color touch, any thoughts

or advice??