• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seeking advice - rusty staple 8.5
1 1

66 posts in this topic

The degree of rust may have something to do with it too. Sometimes there's just a light surface oxidation that can easily be rubbed or brushed off revealing a smooth and shiny or maybe a slightly tarnished staple. Other times the rust is more advanced and is outright corrosion, with the staple pitted and flaking. What has surprised me about this thread, is the amount of prejudice to rusty staples no matter what grade CGC gives the book, even when we know they are adjusting the grade for the rusty staples.

:frustrated:

That's because even sealed, the rust slowly continues working it's damage, like microscopic termites.

I was referring to the humid environment and WP. Pretty sure they don't get along.

I have always assumed that white page books came from the basement area, more humid, and

brown pages came from the attic or closet but I suppose you are correct. It's probably more a matter of temperature for the basement vs attic.

The church collection was a dry basement

Humidity doesn't preserve anything

Despite what the movies show evidence is not put in plastic bags for this reason

Paper bags all the way

I learned that at the DOJ DNA academy when I worked at the DNA lab

On 11/23/2014 at 3:57 PM, Jaylam said:

The degree of rust may have something to do with it too. Sometimes there's just a light surface oxidation that can easily be rubbed or brushed off revealing a smooth and shiny or maybe a slightly tarnished staple. Other times the rust is more advanced and is outright corrosion, with the staple pitted and flaking. What has surprised me about this thread, is the amount of prejudice to rusty staples no matter what grade CGC gives the book, even when we know they are adjusting the grade for the rusty staples.

:frustrated:

Would you consider this rust??? It's from 1940 

Screenshot_20210329-000729.png

Screenshot_20210329-000721.png

I've seen quite a few high grade comics with rust listed in the grader's notes. Here are a couple that I submitted and have the notes for:

CGC 9.2 Grader Notes: very light staple rusted bottom of spine

CGC 9.0 Grader Notes: light creasing to cover. light staple rust. very light wear all edges of cover

Rusty staples are a deal breaker for me.  Rust is the gift that keeps on giving.  Rust migration and staple deterioration will continue to lower the grade of a slabbed comic over time.  What starts out as an 8.0 becomes a 7.5, 7.0, 6.5 etc.

18 minutes ago, kav said:

Rusty staples are a deal breaker for me.  Rust is the gift that keeps on giving.  Rust migration and staple deterioration will continue to lower the grade of a slabbed comic over time.  What starts out as an 8.0 becomes a 7.5, 7.0, 6.5 etc.

CGC has told me that foxing stops once the book is encapsulated. I guess no such luck for rust?

2 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

CGC has told me that foxing stops once the book is encapsulated. I guess no such luck for rust?

It would slow but the slabs are not air tight-I cant see how the migration would not continue.    Mold and iron contaminants cause foxing.  

8 minutes ago, kav said:

It would slow but the slabs are not air tight-I cant see how the migration would not continue.    Mold and iron contaminants cause foxing.  

I yield the floor to you on the subject, but here is a slightly redacted string of emails between me and CGC, where they say otherwise. I like their view, but confess I have concerns that line up with you.

this string started when I asked about foxing

C81E9938-AD9A-48E5-8AD7-3104C8BB55CA.jpeg

4D5A4643-6D9C-48AE-9A21-17799591B02C.jpeg

49025DAD-EA47-44F6-B798-F46E7BAAEF5F.jpeg

4 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I yield the floor to you on the subject, but here is a slightly redacted string of emails between me and CGC, where they say otherwise. I like their view, but confess I have concerns that line up with you.

correct-foxing is dead mold and will not spread.  Iron will continue to rust and migrate as long as oxygen and humidity are present, which would be less but not none, enclosed in plastic.  Humidity is the gaseous form of water, and molecules move.

1 hour ago, Dale Roberts said:

I’ve had a 9.4 with a rusty staple. If it’s a deal killer for you, it’s your responsibility to ask, whatever the defect is. I don’t like writing. If it were a book for me, I would always ask. 

Did you submit the book yourself?  I can’t see how a book with a rusty staple at the time of grading gets a 9.4

A book with a rusty staple is not NM 

9 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

There's also Le Chatelier's principle, which states that when a system experiences a disturbance (such as concentration, temperature, or pressure changes), it will respond to restore a new equilibrium state.  what this means is that if the exterior humidity becomes greater than inside slab, water gas will actively move into the slab.

I have no information on how much this occurs am just quoting chemistry here and my own policy of rusty staples are a deal breaker for me.  Obviously inside a slab is far better than a bagged and boarded book.  If I had a slabbed rust book, I would slip a small dessicant inside if possible.  this is just my personal idea I am not claiming anything.
Desiccants & Sorbents