• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash Comics Journal
3 3

316 posts in this topic

While still a bit crude I love the early Kubert art ( he would have been 17 or just 18 when he started drawing Hawkman ). You really see the influence of both Caniff and Eisner, but he already has an identifiable and quite dynamic style.

Unfortunately it looks like a long wait before these stories get archived.

Issue #65June 1944Rating: 4
photo flash65001.jpg
Gardner Fox starts to experiment more with the weird sciencemeets gangster themes for the Flash stories. photo flash65003.jpg

The Hawman story demonstrates how Joe Kubert was being more creative from the straight gangland capers.

I’ve reprinted the Hawman vs. Simple Simon story here.
photo flash65004.jpgphoto flash65005.jpgphoto flash65006.jpgphoto flash65007.jpgphoto flash65008.jpgphoto flash65009.jpgphoto flash65010.jpgphoto flash65011.jpgphoto flash65012.jpg Edited by tabcom

Man, the Kubert art on Hawkman is awesome!

And the covers… :cloud9:

Not sure I would say it’s crude… it’s still in development, one of the qualities I cherish more in comics' artwork, and in artwork in general. I have one (or two) of his earliest stories in "The Challenger" but this Hawkman is simply wonderful…

Issue #66Aug.-Sept. 1945Rating: 4photo flash66001.jpg

No Ghost Patrol. Hop Harrigan takes their spot along withthree gag strips. The editors must have realized by this time that the cops androbbers genre was running out of gas. The covers start to reflect more humor,along with the strips that occupy the pages.

photo flash66004.jpgphoto flash66003.jpgphoto flash66005.jpgBy the summer of 1945 (due to paper scarcity?), The AA line-up is all bi-monthlies(except for Sensation Comics). Edited by tabcom

Love reading this thread, tabcom. Lots of fun and a series/character I hadn't paid attention to. The Kubert Dweller in the Sea splash is cool and I have to admit, I had never heard of the Three Dimwits and I am Huge Three Stooges fan.

You opened a new collecting focus - 3 Dimwits here I come :kidaround:

I got started in the series because I wanted to learn more about DC Comics in the '40s. There are a lot of changes to examine thru out the nearly decade long run.

Earlier on the series feels like a pulp adaption. Then war themes weave their way into the stories. Followed by humor and then wrap out with a proto SA style led by new artist and writers starting their long careers in the field.

Thanks for the feedback!

I got started in the series because I wanted to learn more about DC Comics in the '40s. There are a lot of changes to examine thru out the nearly decade long run.

Earlier on the series feels like a pulp adaption. Then war themes weave their way into the stories. Followed by humor and then wrap out with a proto SA style led by new artist and writers starting their long careers in the field.

Thanks for the feedback!

It's a great thread and I have really enjoyed following your synopsis of each issue. :applause:

And I was being serious about the 3 Dimwits, if nothing else, to read those stories.

Issue #67Oct.-Nov. 1945Rating: 4photo flash67001.jpg

I’m reprinting the Flash story in its entirety. It is a goodsample of the quality of work Gardner Fox was producing for the series. It usesthe ‘weird science meets gangsters’ formula that he was a master at writing.

photo flash67003.jpgphoto flash67004.jpgphoto flash67005.jpgphoto flash67006.jpg

Issue #68Dec. - Jan. 1945Rating: 5
photo flash68001.jpg
Unlike the previous two issues, this one gets a 5 rating. Myrating system is weighted, 2 for Flash, 2 for the Hawkman, 1 for the backupstories.Jon L. Blummer was the cover artist for Sensation Comics #1(excluding wonder woman image) and All Star Comics #1. The third story of the Hop Harrington strip to be printed in Flash Comics is the best.
photo flash68005.jpg

photo flash68006.jpgphoto flash68007.jpgphoto flash68008.jpgphoto flash68009.jpgphoto flash68010.jpgphoto flash68011.jpgphoto flash68012.jpg

Edited by tabcom

Like Jay Garrick, we learn what Carter Hall was doing during the war. He was working in a ballistics lab.

photo flash68004.jpg

I also like the ‘Picture Story from American History, The

Story of the Constitution’

This issue is the first with the DC logo. Inside cover has an in house ad for all

the DC titles due out from October 17th – November 2nd

Edited by tabcom

Issue #69

Feb.-Mar. 1946

Rating: 5

photo flash69001.jpg

These post war issues are consistent with the DC line of

titles in padding a lot of humor in the stories. Harry Lampert and Ed Wheelan

have a couple gag pages printed. Ghost Patrol is back after a three issue

absences; Hop Harrington is gone.

photo flash69005.jpg

photo flash69004.jpg

photo flash69003.jpg

Joe Kubert’s Hawkman story keeps faithful to the detective crime genre. The Hawkman’s identity is revealed, by Sherlock Holmes! Before he agrees to come out of retirement to help Hawkman on an arson case

photo flash69006.jpg

Edited by tabcom

Issue #70April 1946Rating: 4
photo flash70001_zps7ca5d6f9.jpg
By the start of 1946, DC’s titles where still in post wartransition. The editors have recognized that the youthful readers were tiringof the gangster genre. The cover of Superman #39 shows Superman hiding behind aradio announcing the ‘Adventures of Superman’ to attentive youngsters. ActionComics features the Prankster. More Fun Comics becomes all humor by this issue.Superboy has moved from More Fun Comics in the previous issue to have his firstcover appearance on Adventure Comics #103 (concurrent with Flash Comics #70).All American Comics was still superhero heavy. Hop Harrington humoristadventures has moved to it. Jack Kirby’s Boy Commandos had a balance mix ofhumor between the war\adventure strips. The Flash co-creator, Harry Lampert’s Ton O’Fun appears in Sensation Comics.
photo flash70004_zps45bff7cc.jpg
In this issue of Flash Comics, Mutt & Jeff gets four pages. There is also gagspage from Ed Wheelan. The Flash, Johnny Thunder, and Ghost Patrol stories arehumor based.photo flash70003_zpsf357a1f7.jpgphoto flash70005_zps8aa397ed.jpg
Joe Kubert draws the Hawkgirl for the first time in this issue.