• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Here’s what Currey says:

Cummings, Ray THE MAN ON THE METEOR. Gerald G. Swan, circa 1952, science fiction adventure novel set on a small planetoid near Saturn where an Earthman inexplicably wakes and must learn how to survive, first published as a nine-part serial in SCIENCE AND INVENTION, January - September 1924. An uncommon, fragile paperback rarely found in nice condition.

img8700.jpg

Here's what I say: The story was reprinted in the Oct 1941 issue of Future. The Bok cover seems to be for the Martin Pearson (Wollheim) story, ‘Pogo Planet’. That didn’t stop Swan from making a crude recreation for the cover: this is the mushroom jungle.

futureb.jpg

the pb just in, the pulp courtesy philsp.com (great pulp database)

I understand that there were a number of science fiction stories published in the 1930's based on the myth of Shambala, but I'm having difficulty tracking them down and I'm curious to know what they were (see Serendip). Any ideas guys?

I'm currently in Oregon attending my nephew's wedding.

When I return home I'll go through my pulps and see if I can find anything.

Thanks BZ.

My pleasure.

We'll be here for another 9 days.

We're presently in Eugene but we will also be spending a few days in Salem and Portland.

If anyone knows of any cool shops, museums, or tourist attractions you can recommend,

I'd appreciate hearing about them.

Anyone know if BZ had a good time in Eugene? I grew up there and attended UO. I hope he enjoyed it. I've been missing his posts.

I understand that there were a number of science fiction stories published in the 1930's based on the myth of Shambala, but I'm having difficulty tracking them down and I'm curious to know what they were (see Serendip). Any ideas guys?

Thanks BZ.

My pleasure.

We're presently in Eugene but we will also be spending a few days in Salem and Portland.

If anyone knows of any cool shops, museums, or tourist attractions you can recommend,

Anyone know if BZ had a good time in Eugene? I grew up there and attended UO. I hope he enjoyed it. I've been missing his posts.

Sfcityduck, I have to go Eugene every few months for work. Is there any cool places you recommend to check out besides Nostalgia Collectibles? Any recommendations would be awesome.

Thanks BZ.

My pleasure.

I have never visited Eugene but I did visit Oregon State in Corvallis, Oregon and Portland State in the City of Roses, I think.

img8700.jpg

Some of the purest genres of science fiction are the "Kangaroos with Slingshots" stories.

Thought you guys might appreciate my Halloween costume this year.

IvJy9RW.jpg

Love It! (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u

Thanks BZ.

My pleasure.

Sfcityduck, I have to go Eugene every few months for work. Is there any cool places you recommend to check out besides Nostalgia Collectibles? Any recommendations would be awesome.

Nostalgia Collectibles is owned by Darrell Grimes and he has another store over by campus (skip it). But, there's another dealer in town, Hooker's Comics and Cards, which is good if you are into SA (although it looks like a tornado went off in the store). There are also a couple of people selling comics and related materials out of antique malls.

If you really want to have a fun GA experience, make an appointment with the UO archivist to view the Gardner Fox archives.

Most of my best recommendations for a visitor to Eugene involve restaurants and bars. I think Eugene has one of the best fish & chip lunch places in the country (Newman's Fish Market). Obviously, the micro brew fans go crazy there. Let me know what you are looking for.

A miracle hath occurred. Casual Monday morn ebay ‘warm-up’ searching actually uncovered a book on my ‘small & tuff’ MJ want list. A nice copy at a nice price. BIN was struck in awe and wonder…

To the Ultimate by JR Fearn Scion 1952 Gordon C. Davies cover- only Scion Davies can think of- auspicious. Time travel romp assembled from ‘Mathematica’ & ‘Mathematica Plus’ from Feb & May 1936 Astoundings

ult.JPG

One of the great things about the internet is the ability it gives us to trace out the publication history of classic stories. I just reread Conan Doyle’s ‘The Maracot Deep’ his short novel of the rediscovery of Atlantis from 1927. Still as much fun as when I first read 40 years ago: as a California teenager visiting London in 1969 when I told them I was a sci-fi fan they demanded I read it ASAP… So afterwards (2014), searched web and came up with a couple of illos by Tom Pettie from the original appearance in the UK monthly Strand magazine- (courtesy of http://richardholland-spuriosity.blogspot.com/search/label/Maracot%20Deep). The first shows an early scene where the giant ‘lobster’ severs the ‘bathysphere’ cables. The second- which I adore- comes towards the end, when the Atlantean lady friend of one of the three explorers bobs to the surface to the amazement of the onlooking sailor.

Maracot27.jpg

Maracot27M.jpg

One of the great things about the internet is the ability it gives us to trace out the publication history of classic stories. I just reread Conan Doyle’s ‘The Maracot Deep’ his short novel of the rediscovery of Atlantis from 1927. Still as much fun as when I first read 40 years ago: as a California teenager visiting London in 1969 when I told them I was a sci-fi fan they demanded I read it ASAP… So afterwards (2014), searched web and came up with a couple of illos by Tom Pettie from the original appearance in the UK monthly Strand magazine- (courtesy of http://richardholland-spuriosity.blogspot.com/search/label/Maracot%20Deep). The first shows an early scene where the giant ‘lobster’ severs the ‘bathysphere’ cables. The second- which I adore- comes towards the end, when the Atlantean lady friend of one of the three explorers bobs to the surface to the amazement of the onlooking sailor.

Maracot27.jpg

Maracot27M.jpg

Phantastical

The Queen People by Dennis Hughes, Curtis Warren, 1952, Ray Theobald cover.

The inside ‘blurb’ says: ‘What human mind could conceive of a world in which one woman, dead for a thousand years or more, still rules and mothers an all-male race, alien to her own?’

Harbottle and Holland (the MJ gurus) say: ‘An utterly fantastic, surreal, and erotic fantasy that shows Hughes’ enigmatic talent at its best.’

Legend has it that the Curtis Warren books were produced by having the artist paint a cover and then having the author write a story around it. Seems like Hughes was up to Theobald’s ‘challenge’… Will bump this one to the top of the reading list and report further when assimilated.

img8740.jpg

‘The Queen People’ was most excellent. Hughes uses clear characters with credible motivations to make an improbable situation believable. Fionna is a newspaper reporter watching two manned rockets take off testing a new fuel. She has had a premonition that the ships will explode in the sky which they do. The cloud of dust that falls on the hillside somehow opens a gateway to another dimension, and when Fionna wanders the area she suddenly finds herself in a world populated by red ‘big-heads’ – all males save for their dead queen who they’ve kept in a suspended animation chamber where they revive her occasionally. This is the cover scene…

The four astronauts, a scientist, and the fiancee of one of the dead spacemen all end up in the other realm. The red men are thrilled by the prospect of two new queens, but let’s just say it doesn’t quite work out as they hoped…

Dennis Hughes CW 6 pack: all different psuedos, all Gordon C Davies covers

dhcw.JPG

Other Eyes Watching by John Russell Fearn, Pendulum 1946, cover by Bob Wilkin

This is something of a pre-mushroom-jungle rarity. Harbottle and Holland begin the era with 1949. Since the novel had appeared in the Spring 1946 Startling it’s a pretty quick trip to this first book publication, apparently in May. Although the cover isn’t the splashy SF art we see later, I think – given the title – that it’s an effective image. The cover price is 6 pence higher than the 1’6 that would prevail. I paid a lot, but Pat and Startling go way back, and I’ve read a few Fearns on my MJ quest and have been pleased. Included is philsp’s pic of the SS and particular bright it is.

img8770.jpg

At just under 6” is the shortest PB in my collection, but is almost 5” wide, with standard being approx 7” x 4-1/4”, even the ‘40s pbs were almost 6-1/2” tall (x 4-1/4”).

SS46spr.jpg

People of Asa by Dennis Hughes, Curtis Warren 1953, Gordon C. Davies cover

The alien attack came from an unexpected quarter as the great black spheres rose out of the oceans and unleashed unearthly weaponry. H&H call it “an oddly appealing and original story of conflict with an inhuman enemy.”

After reading ‘The Queen People’ last month and confirming that Hughes is an outstanding writer, my decision was made to order this, and it’s on it’s way from Lloyd Currey. Here’s his –always excellent- image of it, an extraordinarily bright and colorful cover by the redoubtable Davies.

146815.jpg