• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,545 posts in this topic

Hi Rick, :hi:

Does a missing centerfold in Flash Comics 86 affect the 1st appearance of Black Canary story at all?

(Asking for no particular reason... :whistle:

Thanks!

Carl

No

Hi Rick, :hi:

Does a missing centerfold in Flash Comics 86 affect the 1st appearance of Black Canary story at all?

(Asking for no particular reason... :whistle:

Thanks!

Carl

No

For the Ghost Patrol enthusiast, :frustrated:

Here is what is missing:

flash10179_zpsf76e76d8.jpg

flash10180_zps35662ea5.jpg

I was amazed that the 3.0 copy that sold on Heritage last night when for $1375!

I was offering my similar copy for $350 with no lookers last year. (shrug)

Here is the reverse image splash of the cover . . .

flash10175_zps94f20159.jpg

Edited by tabcom

Gator,

Which book is more valuable today: Batman #1 or Cap #1?

And which book, after DC's cinematic expansion and Avengers 2/Cap 3, do you project to be more valuable, lets say in five years time?

Batman 1 by a hair. But cap has closed the gap big time.

Not sure the movies have that much impact ... They should stay neck and neck

Hey Gator :hi: ,respectfully i have heard this view before, but then, why do auction houses like Comic Connect and Comiclink use 'movie hype' in their sales pitches if that aspect is so inconsequential? From an 'outside' investor looking to spread his money around in a field he knows little about except that 'it's collectible', wouldn't the 'movie hype' be a motivating factor for that buyer for the auctioneer trying to get him on board as a bidder?

Gator,

And which book, after DC's cinematic expansion and Avengers 2/Cap 3, do you project to be more valuable, lets say in five years time?

Hey Gator :hi: ,respectfully i have heard this view before, but then, why do auction houses like Comic Connect and Comiclink use 'movie hype' in their sales pitches if that aspect is so inconsequential? From an 'outside' investor looking to spread his money around in a field he knows little about except that 'it's collectible', wouldn't the 'movie hype' be a motivating factor for that buyer for the auctioneer trying to get him on board as a bidder?
on some books ...yes...

but, we are not talking about dr strange or black panther...we are talking Cap 1 and Bat 1....these books are iconic to the hobby and transcend "movie" hype...

Average Joe doesn't goto a Batman movie and say, "wow, I have to drop $50,000 and get me a batman 1"....

now, do the movies raise and increase awareness of characters...sure...but very likely most everyone in the US is already aware of, to some varying degree, who Batman and Captain America are....

so, movies are not a major driving force increasing prices higher of the major Golden Age #1's...there are a myriad of factors that do, of course...I just wouldn't rate movies as a primary reason... heck, A sale of an Action 1 does more to impact Cap 1 prices than a movie (thumbs u

. . .

movies are not a major driving force increasing prices higher of the major Golden Age #1's...

IMHO, movies ensure that the next generation of comic book collectors in the future (20 - 30 years) will drive prices higher. In other words, a 12 year old kid may see the movie as an entree into the genre and one day own a key twenty-five years from now at an unfathomed higher price.

Anecdotally, it was the GA reprints such as the 1974 issue of Detective Comics . . .

730013.jpg

that spur my interest in collecting GA Comics as an adult.

. . .

movies are not a major driving force increasing prices higher of the major Golden Age #1's...

IMHO, movies ensure that the next generation of comic book collectors in the future (20 - 30 years) will drive prices higher. In other words, a 12 year old kid may see the movie as an entree into the genre and one day own a key twenty-five years from now at an unfathomed higher price.

Anecdotally, it was the GA reprints such as the 1974 issue of Detective Comics . . .

730013.jpg

that spur my interest in collecting GA Comics as an adult.

Possibly. No one knows the future. But as far as affecting prices today....no

Does seem as if the guy is parlaying one big year into a plum job. That approach to hiring a coach usually doesn't work out. But I guess they must really like what they are seeing in him. (shrug)

Gator,

on some books ...yes...

but, we are not talking about dr strange or black panther...we are talking Cap 1 and Bat 1....these books are iconic to the hobby and transcend "movie" hype...

Average Joe doesn't goto a Batman movie and say, "wow, I have to drop $50,000 and get me a batman 1"....

now, do the movies raise and increase awareness of characters...sure...but very likely most everyone in the US is already aware of, to some varying degree, who Batman and Captain America are....

so, movies are not a major driving force increasing prices higher of the major Golden Age #1's...there are a myriad of factors that do, of course...I just wouldn't rate movies as a primary reason... heck, A sale of an Action 1 does more to impact Cap 1 prices than a movie (thumbs u

The average Joe doesn't think he'll spend big bucks on a Batman 1 because he doesn't have those big bucks. But if he sees a hit movie it does influence his thoughts on whether a Batman 1 is worth big bucks. And it increases the likelihood that he will buy one if and when he gets big bucks.

But I agree with the major point that there's a big difference between the Joker and the Klaw.

Movies turn comic book characters into household names, and that's already been done big time with the Joker. There might be somebody on the planet somewhere who's never heard of the Joker until he sees Suicide Squad, but that would be a very unusual person. Additional movies keep the awareness going but the Leto version of Joker would need to be a big hit to increase interest above what it's already at.

Still, speculation is part of comics collecting now. And every time a new movie is announced it increases the number of people who think they'll make big bucks if they buy something related before the movie hits. And it doesn't always have to make sense. I would not be at all surprised to hear that the title of the new Bond film has led to people buying up high grade moderns featuring the Spectre

Does seem as if the guy is parlaying one big year into a plum job. That approach to hiring a coach usually doesn't work out. But I guess they must really like what they are seeing in him. (shrug)

:sick::sick::sick::sick: