• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seeking advice - rusty staple 8.5
1 1

66 posts in this topic

THx

I read something once where GA comics could have replaced staples as 'conservation'

True?

Haven't seen any (yet!) Conserved labels with staple treatment. Have seen quite a few restored labels with "staples cleaned" and "staples replaced" notation.

For GA, if the staples replaced are from the same era, they usually get a pass.

He should have mentioned it, but you should have asked, also. Never assume anything in an internet sale. I forgot to mention it once and disappointed a good friend on these very boards. I offered to take it back, but it was a scarce book and he kept it anyway. I've since tried not to ever neglect mentioning it. Most of the CGC examples I've seen would have graded higher without it.... so it SEEMS they do downgrade for it. I avoid it normally but have a few in my collection that have not gotten any worse after years and years.... so it doesn't always progress to the paper.. I have also deslabbed books with shiny staples outside, but that have rust on the inside. It's a defect that many people abhor. With eBay..... "not as described" may not work here, but "unhappy with item" would.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I had a CGC 9.2 with a lightly rusted upper staple. I won it in an auction and paid fairly strong as it was an otherwise beautiful book with white pages. I couldn't live with the staple and ended up selling the book for a loss at auction through the same venue I purchased it from.

same happened to me. can't live with a book with rusty staples ( even minimal rust)

It's the first thing I check for when I receive a book in hand.

I pulled rusty crumbling staples out of my GL 87 and replaced em. Cover and center wrap seperated but I would still rather have that than the rusty crumbling staples.

I hare rusty staples!!!

According to a conversation I had with CGC a few years ago on a double cover book that got an overall grade (8.5) less than the highest cover grade (9.0), they pretty much let me know that an 8.5 grade is as about as high as they will go on any book with rust on the staples or with rust migration, no matter how nice the rest of the book is. So from that I think you can deduce that if a book is 8.5 or less, then you are taking a chance that the staples could have rust. Even though CGC has not published any of their grading standards, if you have inspected enough of their graded books and paid attention to certain attributes of a book before you send it in, you can start to get a feel about how books are graded. As for you, just what is your grade break off point for accepting rusty staples? Apparently your standards differ from CGC on what is acceptable in an 8.5 grade and what is not, but if you are buying a CGC graded book, then you are implying you are accepting their grade and their grading standards, so why should the seller be held responsible for that? From this experience as far as CGC graded books is concerned, we have to accept that it is possible for a 4.0 to not have rusty staples, but an 8.5 can.

On the other hand, there is no substitute for actually getting to see your purchase in person. I have no problem with a buyer sending a book back, if, after seeing it they are not happy with it. If you were at a convention and had the chance to look the book over in person before you bought it and saw something about it you didn't like, you'd just put it back and the sale would not happen in the first place. As a seller, I believe I've got to give my buyers at least that chance.

2c

According to a conversation I had with CGC a few years ago on a double cover book that got an overall grade (8.5) less than the highest cover grade (9.0), they pretty much let me know that an 8.5 grade is as about as high as they will go on any book with rust on the staples or with rust migration, no matter how nice the rest of the book is. So from that I think you can deduce that if a book is 8.5 or less, then you are taking a chance that the staples could have rust. Even though CGC has not published any of their grading standards, if you have inspected enough of their graded books and paid attention to certain attributes of a book before you send it in, you can start to get a feel about how books are graded.

We've heard about a 9.0 and a 9.2 with rust on the staples, the latter being my book. So your 8.5 theory may require some reconsideration.

Hmmmm, maybe so, could depend on the degree of rust, but from my experience, their explanation has pretty much held up.

I still believe it's wrong to hold the seller to any kind of culpability on a 3rd party graded book. But, as I said, if the buyer doesn't like it, he/ she should be able to send it back for a refund. As long as it not 3 months later, I don't have a problem with a return and in this case, the buyer knew right away there was something about the book he/she didn't like and informed the seller promptly.

Simple way to resolve this:

1) Clean the rusty staples

2) Send the cleaned (formerly rusty staples) book to CGC and get a restored grade.

3) Remove the book from the slab after receiving it and re-clean the staples to remove restoration.

4) Send book back to CGC and get a blue labeled slab.

???

Simple way to resolve this:

1) Clean the rusty staples

2) Send the cleaned (formerly rusty staples) book to CGC and get a restored grade.

3) Remove the book from the slab after receiving it and re-clean the staples to remove restoration.

4) Send book back to CGC and get a blue labeled slab.

He should have mentioned it, but you should have asked, also. Never assume anything in an internet sale. I forgot to mention it once and disappointed a good friend on these very boards. I offered to take it back, but it was a scarce book and he kept it anyway. I've since tried not to ever neglect mentioning it. Most of the CGC examples I've seen would have graded higher without it.... so it SEEMS they do downgrade for it. I avoid it normally but have a few in my collection that have not gotten any worse after years and years.... so it doesn't always progress to the paper.. I have also deslabbed books with shiny staples outside, but that have rust on the inside. It's a defect that many people abhor. With eBay..... "not as described" may not work here, but "unhappy with item" would.GOD BLESS...

Bolded the first part.

Bolded the first part.

I thought that this was the type of issue third party grading was supposed to solve. I can't see rusty staples in anything approaching VF, let alone NM-.

Is there anyway we can direct this question to CGC ? The basic question being how do they treat rusty staples. I would be very interested to hear from them. Perhaps we can even influence CGC to make a label notation, like they do for tape. This is an interesting thread and it would be great if we can make a positive from all this. I abhor rusty staples and didn't realize so many others hate it also.

Is there anyway we can direct this question to CGC ? The basic question being how do they treat rusty staples. I would be very interested to hear from them. Perhaps we can even influence CGC to make a label notation, like they do for tape. This is an interesting thread and it would be great if we can make a positive from all this. I abhor rusty staples and didn't realize so many others hate it also.

Rusty staples concern me a lot, maybe more than tape, as being both unsightly and having huge potential for continued deterioration and damage to the book. I can accept tape in a low grade book much more readily than staple rust, and cannot accept a high grade (VF and above) book with rust.

Edited by mysterio

Rusty staples concern me a lot, maybe more than tape, as being both unsightly and having huge potential for continued deterioration and damage to the book. I can accept tape in a low grade book much more readily than staple rust, and cannot accept a high grade (VF and above) book with rust.

Exactly. Interestingly enough, rusty staples occur in a humid environment, the same condition that sees the pages stay white. I love White pages and hate rusty staples so I walk a fine line. Good point about about the continued deterioration in the slab.

Exactly. Interestingly enough, rusty staples occur in a humid environment, the same condition that sees the pages stay white. I love White pages and hate rusty staples so I walk a fine line. Good point about about the continued deterioration in the slab.

dont you mean a dry environment Bob ?

No, I think the rust is from a humid environment, am I wrong ?

No, I think the rust is from a humid environment, am I wrong ?

I was referring to the humid environment and WP. Pretty sure they don't get along.