• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The PUNISHER LS #1 club.

93 posts in this topic

Yes, I've been lucky enough to own it for almost 15 years now and counting. It truly is a grail piece. I'm glad I was able to share it with fans at the exhibit.

The only Zeck piece I'd ever consider superior would be Cap Annual #8.

Otherwise, this is the king.

Right on.

Yes, I've been lucky enough to own it for almost 15 years now and counting. It truly is a grail piece. I'm glad I was able to share it with fans at the exhibit.

The only Zeck piece I'd ever consider superior would be Cap Annual #8.

Otherwise, this is the king.

Right on.

For the uninitiated: :grin:

KfhiPN.jpg

Mike didn't do cons for almost 15 years, but started doing select shows as of last year.

Mike's last full comic book story was G.I. Joe #21 published by Devil's Due/Image over 10 years ago. For many years after that, he worked behind the scenes doing work for DC Licensing and Mattel.

As far as "new" art, Mike most recently created a new Punisher print for this year's Big Wow show. Outside of that, he's been doing sketch cover opportunities through these boards for a number of years and will bring sketches to his appearances.

Last year, a retrospective art show was done on Mike at the Cartoon Art Museum titled "Raw Fury" - no new art featured in that show, but there was an exhibit book created for the occasion that can be purchased at Mike's appearances or through his website (www.mikezeck.com).

Zeck is the man.
I don't follow Zeck, Is he still in the comic biz?

An all-time favorite issue...always loved that cover. Interesting to see how the colors were toned down for the published cover.

Here's a pen/ink version from ComicArtFans:

kDffosT4_2511132305421.jpg

Is that really the same cover? WOW! What difference color makes on a piece of work.

Just for clarity... they are two different "original" versions of each Limited Series cover. In the creative process to create the Punisher covers, Zeck first drew a pencil version of each cover. He would then blow up the piece (using a projector - similar to Norman Rockwell) and then re-pencil the piece on a larger (20" x 30" board) for Phil Zimelman to paint. He used a similar process in most of his collaborations with Zimelman.

The B&W covers to Punisher #2, #4, and #5 still remain in their original penciled format. Zeck however decided to ink the covers to #1 and #3 a few years later (circa 1989 or 1990) before he sold them. Zeck started changing the way he drew the Punisher's costume after the Big Nothing graphic novel which is why you'll notice some differences in the B&W version of the #1 cover vs. the painted cover. But, all are great pieces!

kDffosT4_2511132305421.jpg

Is that really the same cover? WOW! What difference color makes on a piece of work. Edited by comiconxion

Zeck brings the intensity! That's what missing from covers today, they lack energy. Now its just throw Black Cat on the cover half naked and it'll sell. Wondering if anyone in the comic industry has any imagination anymore.

Zeck brings the intensity! That's what missing from covers today, they lack energy. Now its just throw Black Cat on the cover half naked and it'll sell. Wondering if anyone in the comic industry has any imagination anymore.

I agree.

That Punisher cover is loaded with intensity and action. I love it.