• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your personal artwork
14 14

5,098 posts in this topic

Here's a piece I did a while back. Not sure my camera phone did it justice. The ink is much darker than the pic shows. Anyway...

<a  href=catman28WS_zpsfe22498e.png' alt='catman2

Just wanted to say Timely, how much I like this piece. It's a complete scene

Finished another inking practice piece. This one was a blast to work on!

pitt1_inks7.jpg

Finishing this up soon...

Done exclusively with a Winsor & Newton Series 7 #4 round brush

pitt1_inks6.jpg

What's the greenish tourquoise part in the bottom corner ?

Your inking skills are top notch

Wish i could print bluline-I'd draw SO much stuff....I'd just print out stacks of stuff to ink

What size is that?

It's an 11x17 Bristol board. You can pickup some of the "full size" Brother MFC all-in-one printer scanner copiers for fairly cheap. There are videos on YouTube on how to convert line art to blueline in photoshop. It's become a pretty common practice with a lot of professional inkers these days. It saves the original pencils pages and with inkers being able to download high resolution scans of the pencils from the company ftp and print them out, the process of completing the book is much faster. Just about all of the major comicbook companies are doing it like this these days. There are still, however, some seriously evil inkers, like Richard Friend, that still ink directly over David Finch's pencils. :P

This piece I did because I love the artwork obviously and also to see how I could manage to do some very long sweeping lines without using a french curve or any other tool. It was challenging but lots of fun. And just cemented my love for this particular brush that I'm using right now.

Collectors of OA much prefer inks over the orig pencils even though the pencils get erased

Yeah there have been plenty of discussions about this on many facebook pages. And I would agree for the most part. However imagine the possibility of owning and framing the original pencils, the production inks and a high res printout of the finished colors. Such is possible these days where it wasn't before.

Collectors of OA much prefer inks over the orig pencils even though the pencils get erased

Yeah there have been plenty of discussions about this on many facebook pages. And I would agree for the most part. However imagine the possibility of owning and framing the original pencils, the production inks and a high res printout of the finished colors. Such is possible these days where it wasn't before.

I am completely out of touch with how comics are made these days, but years ago, there were quite a few artists who inked their own pencils. Jack Cole. Carl Barks. Kirby. Steranko.... a whole slew of em.

I guess that's a lost art now because of the time it takes eh ?

I am completely out of touch with how comics are made these days, but years ago, there were quite a few artists who inked their own pencils. Jack Cole. Carl Barks. Kirby. Steranko.... a whole slew of em.

I guess that's a lost art now because of the time it takes eh ?

It is also a skill set all it's own. I am a very good penciller, but I am an average inker. I would love to have an inker do the pages for my comic. I would have double the work done easily.

I just started down the road of inking about a year ago or so. Going through various pen sets, exploring crow quills with different nibs and then brush work. I will still using pens (Copic Multiliners) if there is a lot of technical work that needs done. Once in a while I'll feel nostalgic and break out the quill with a Hunt 102 nib, but my personal preference is using brushes. It just has an organic feel and look.

My confidence level is not where I want it to be on my inking. While I appreciate any praise I get when I show the work I've done, I have a very hard time looking past the mistakes that glare off the page at me. So I practice as often as possible. Unfortunately lately I haven't been able to work as much as I would like because of medical issues, but I'm trying to get back into things.

I've been working on some pages given to me by Kyle Hotz, who has been great on feedback, as well as his inker, Jason Moore. I would love to leave behind the world of IT and just do artwork, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

This is one of the pages Kyle gave me. I started it months ago but had to put it down for a while. I'll be finishing it today.

20141123_104627.jpg

Edited by Sarfa