• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

Thanks, Dan.

That #54 is truly one of my favorite non-washtone Grandenettis. It's predominantly dark around the edges. Grandenetti was just on top of his game every step of the way from the composition of the figure placement, the hand expressions, the drapery of the clothing, the approaching menace of the enemy aircraft. It's all there with Grandenetti's sumptuous deep black inks. It's still stuck in the furshleginer portrezebie slab, but even in that, it presents like it came right off the stands.

ssws55-1.jpg

This helmet reminds me of a real helmet that is on display in the war museum at West Point Military Academy in upstate NY. Cool Comic!

Kubert was pretty handy at drawing helmets, but he always credited Irv Novick for showing him how to make a helmet fit on the head of a character without it appearing like a hat or like it was too big. Can you imagine how many helmets Kubert drew over the course of his career? Had to be in the multi-thousands.

What the 2 helmets have in common is the hole.It is very telling of what happened to the occupant and suspenseful for the viewer.

I know everyone in the war forum is a big fan of Joe Kubert. While I have read a few hundred pages of the thread I do not believe I have ever seen these two issues of Showcase posted. I hope it is ok for me to show off the latest addition to my collection.

xp377o.jpg

112bdq8.jpg

I am a big fan of GI Joe comics from the 80's but my collection was incomplete until I got these. I just wanted to tip my hat to our "roots". Thanks!

What the 2 helmets have in common is the hole.It is very telling of what happened to the occupant and suspenseful for the viewer.

I know everyone in the war forum is a big fan of Joe Kubert. While I have read a few hundred pages of the thread I do not believe I have ever seen these two issues of Showcase posted. I hope it is ok for me to show off the latest addition to my collection.

xp377o.jpg

112bdq8.jpg

I am a big fan of GI Joe comics from the 80's but my collection was incomplete until I got these. I just wanted to tip my hat to our "roots". Thanks!

Beautiful comics. :applause: Congrats!

Nice copies, H0RR0RSH0W!

I think I've had my copy of Showcase #53 for something like 20 years and I have had a number of chances to get a nice copy of Showcase #54, but every time I'm about to hit the trigger, somebody scoops it. Those are neat for the interiors also which, like the Sgt. Rock Prize Battle Tales, are reprints, but well-chosen ones and an early example of how the DC editors at the time were beginning to clue in to the mountain of classic stories that had never been reprinted before and many readers would never have seen at that point. It's a nod to the genius of earlier stories and I love those for that reason alone. . .then there're the matching triple panel covers.

Way cool!

Thanks everybody!Sgt. Rock was always my "go to" comic when GI Joe was sold out on the local newsstand. The story telling therein was truly genius and the few copies I have I read over and over again. I will never know how they could fit so much in one book. Somewhat ironic, the 80's GI Joe comic book that I can credit with becoming a permanent collector was issue #24. For those that might not know it was illustrated by Russ Heath, another favorite on the war forum. My favorite DC war cover, and there are truly some marvelous pieces of art would have to be the washtone cover of OFF #20. I like how here in the war forum there is such a strong connection of camaraderie and I hope to contribute again sometime. Thanks!