• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seeking advice - rusty staple 8.5
1 1

66 posts in this topic

Interested in getting some advice.

If you won an ebay auction for silver age marvel cgc8.5 that had good centering on the front and back cover, had reasonable staple alignment and appeared a strong 8.5 but when received in hand has a rusty staple that was not apparent in scans would you think it reasonable to request a return and refund, despite the fact that it was clearly listed an 8.5.

For me I'm ok with most defects at the 8.5 level but pass on rusty staples. Just my preference.

From what I've read understand that a rusty staple is acceptable for an 8.5 but given that it's not an attribute of every 8.5 shouldn't the seller have provided more detail or accepted the return?

Interested to hear if I am thinking about this the right way.

Apologies In advance if this is not a popular topic or has been covered before. I couldn't find a discussion thread with this scenario via search. Only debate in rusty staples in various grades.

Thanks.

Edited by mattinglymint23

I've got a CGC 9.0 with rusty staples. When I called for notes, they said they would never notate that flaw on such a "lower grade" copy.

That being said, the seller should have disclosed something like that, but it very well might have been that way prior to encapsulation.

seller claims he only got it slabbed a few weeks ago

so therefore it must have been like that.

i understand that rusty staples are acceptable for 8.5 and even 9.0 but its not a given in those grades... seller sees it different. plenty of 8.5s without rusty staples so clearly not the case...

- i am pushing for a refund based on this thinking but his view is that i should have known the rusty staple was there since it was an 8.5! again the scans were not res enough to show the rust and migration - my mistake for not asking for clarification before bidding but i still think a return/refund is appropriate.

appreciate the feedback

I had a CGC 9.2 with a lightly rusted upper staple. I won it in an auction and paid fairly strong as it was an otherwise beautiful book with white pages. I couldn't live with the staple and ended up selling the book for a loss at auction through the same venue I purchased it from.

I get being upset with the seller not disclosing the rust, if he was aware of it.

What drives me crazy is that a book with rusty staples can be graded so high. What drives me even crazier is that the graders notes, which you still have to pay for, are devoid of any concrete information.

I won't pay for graders notes again, not because I mind paying a few bucks before I buy a book to find out more about it, but rather because the notes are pointless and not worth the fee.

not dwelling - i requested the refund 10 minutes after opening the box

seller declined so i've raised a case (per ebay advisement) - just wanted to get some feedback that i wasn't overreacting

feedback thus far is exactly in line with my thinking so appreciate the validation

i am going to hold off on posting scans at moment as the case is pending.

thanks again for the positive feedback all - helps validate that i am doing the right thing.

I get being upset with the seller not disclosing the rust, if he was aware of it.

What drives me crazy is that a book with rusty staples can be graded so high. What drives me even crazier is that the graders notes, which you still have to pay for, are devoid of any concrete information.

I won't pay for graders notes again, not because I mind paying a few bucks before I buy a book to find out more about it, but rather because the notes are pointless and not worth the fee.

totally agree - coming back to the hobby i was a bit shocked to see rusty staples not dragging a grade down more - to me they are a major defect given the eventual and certain deterioration of the book.

grader notes are pointless - classic fleecing at 5 or 10 bucks a pop...

Rusty staple = bad business
:golfclap: Edited by mattinglymint23

This is an interesting conundrum

Book is graded and you received the book in that grade

We disagree about how cgc grades rusty staples

Does that make it the sellers responsibility to mention it?

Maybe not but any decent seller should respect a return wish in a case like this

Book is not technically 'as described' because defect was not described

There's more to a book's condition than the cgc grade

I always mention staple condition

Staples shiny

Staples a bit dull

Staples oxidized and discolored

Staples rusty

Staples rusty and crumbling

Staples are the crux of a comic-their condition is important

I always mention staple condition

Staples shiny

Staples a bit dull