• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
37 37

12,742 posts in this topic

I have shared some stuff that I recently picked up and quietly tucked some other stuff away.

Here is where I show my age...

Picked up a page a few months ago from GI Joe 20 which was one of the first comic books I ever read let alone one of the first GI Joe books I ever read. That page featured Clutch in a solo story who was the first figure I ever received.

Tonight there were a slew of vintage Joe pages up for auction that were ending on eBay tonight. I bet on all of them and would have taken any and all of them if I could. I wound up winning Page 16 from issue 38 featuring the introduction of Recondo and features Stalker. Recondo was the second Joe I ever received and the first I ever picked out. Stalker was the third. Woo hoo.

1984 was a magical year for toys. It was the second to last year of Star Wars and Jedi was still being pushed while the GI Joe universe was rocketing to eclipse all other lines and the Joe comic book was one of the most popular comic books around.

GIJoe38Pg16.jpg

Nice Joe page, Recondo is certainly a figure I remember fondly, and Stalker was my first ever Joe - my dad brought it back as a gift after he'd been away for a month on military exercises. He had no idea what he started! Very cool page, congrats!

Thanks...

I am always looking for Marvel Joe pages and usually throw in whenever the opportunity presents itself but even more so when I see something that was of particular interest to me back then due to figures owned or first comics read. For some reason, despite the Marvel series adding up to 191 original issues, I do not see a lot of original art out there.

While waiting for Jeff Shultz to finish this commission I took the opportunity to snag his variant cover for Betty and Veronica #271:

B_V_271_variant_blogg.jpg

He was obviously inspired by Marilyn Monroe in The Seven Year Itch. This is made entirely in pencil, scanned and computer colored. Looks a bit different.

Click on the picture to see it in my comicartfans gallery. A nice addition to my collection of Jeff Shultz OA.

My first OA page. Never heard of Scott Hanna before and I don't usually buy original artwork, but since I'm a Batman fan, I put a very small bid on it for the heck of it. Was very surprised no one else bid and I actually won it. Just bought the graphic novel off Amazon to match the page.

151174.jpg.854d6d357ef020f3d7871e31a16debbd.jpg

I attended a small show in Boston today and as I was walking out I noticed some paintings and began talking with the wife of the artist. Its actually a large 24" x 35" acrylic on board and the cover art to their 4th comic book of a 12 issue mini series published by Eden Park Tales.com. The artist was elsewhere walking around and she said I could have it for $100 and she also gave me one of each of the 4 comics, including #4 the one that the art is to. I felt I liked the image and I will now read the books. I didn't see where I could go wrong for $100. Seems like a lot of work went into it and it is published. What do you think? A steal, not bad, or a waste?

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1180461

I attended a small show in Boston today and as I was walking out I noticed some paintings and began talking with the wife of the artist. Its actually a large 24" x 35" acrylic on board and the cover art to their 4th comic book of a 12 issue mini series published by Eden Park Tales.com. The artist was elsewhere walking around and she said I could have it for $100 and she also gave me one of each of the 4 comics, including #4 the one that the art is to. I felt I liked the image and I will now read the books. I didn't see where I could go wrong for $100. Seems like a lot of work went into it and it is published. What do you think? A steal, not bad, or a waste?

Its never a waste if you buy it because you like the art.

My first OA page. Never heard of Scott Hanna before and I don't usually buy original artwork, but since I'm a Batman fan, I put a very small bid on it for the heck of it. Was very surprised no one else bid and I actually won it. Just bought the graphic novel off Amazon to match the page.

Cool page! And welcome in the hobby. ;)

Its never a waste if you buy it because you like the art.
I seem to hear that a lot.