• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Q&A Comic Production Flaws
16 16

674 posts in this topic

Next up...Print Creases

Here's what they look like.

508031-printcrease.jpg

Here's the answer...

The Printer crease is caused by the paper getting a wrinkle in it as it passes through the press units.

The units smash the wrinkle flat while printing the images onto the paper.

There is no ink on the inside of the wrinkle as this area was "hidden" during the print process.

If you have a cheap book with this type of wrinkle, you can try to unfold this wrinkle area and reveal the white paper area.

Do this only if you want to see what I'm trying to describe.

I wouldn't do this to a high grade or valuable book because you will end up with a white streak running through the cover.

Something I'd like to add to my response...

This is more common with thinner, cheaper paper.

It can also be caused after the ink is printed on the paper as it goes through the rollers at the end of the press.

If there is ink inside of the crease, it was caused after it was inked.

If there is no ink inside of the crease, it was caused before ink hit the page.

More often than not, it will be before inked.

This is very typical on specific books because the cover paper was cheap or very thin (Low basis weight).

Weird War #1 and Defenders #1 come to mind as books with a high percentage of this flaw.

Actually, Greggy pointed out to me that it is very hard to find a Weird War #1 without a Print Crease.

I have looked at many copies since he told me this to find that he is correct.

thumbsup2.gif

But on a book thats absolutely notorious for numerous production defects, how will this affect the grade?, Hypothetically, if it's going to be a 9.8 book, will it still get a 9.8 with this printer crease? I must say that every single copy I've ever seen of this particular enigma of a book has at least one printers crease, and a lot of them have 2-3 of varying size. The one in this photo seems dark, but when looked at from some angles, you can't see it. Its also magnified. There's no color break. Will something like this bump a hypothetical 9.8 to a 9.6? 439C8DCD-4025-4302-B41F-E37C5E6AC3A8.jpg

Pardon my ignorance, but what is mis-printed? I see a not-great wrap, but nothing mis-printed.

-slym

I was wondering the same thing. Do you mean the miscut at the bottom edge?

I believe mis-wraps (if that is the only thing "wrong" with the book) can keep a book out of the 9.9 and 10 grades, but that is all. I am not 100% certain on that, BTW, but I think I'm right.

-slym

I believe mis-wraps (if that is the only thing "wrong" with the book) can keep a book out of the 9.9 and 10 grades, but that is all. I am not 100% certain on that, BTW, but I think I'm right.

-slym

Mis-wraps are considered a production error but do not keep the books from grading higher than 9.8. Slight mis-wrap example below:

ZUIzAZ6.jpg

I do believe there is another example out there of an even more severe mis-wrap and if I find it I will post it later.

Tim

Edited by timern

Still don't know the difference in a 9.8 and a 10 in the eyes of a particular grader. Maybe I need to get new contacts.

CGC: The numbers go to ten. Look, right at the slab, ten.

Collector: Oh, I see. And most comics go up to 9.8?

CGC: Exactly.

Collector: Does that mean it's better? Is it any better?

CGC: Well, it's .2 better, isn't it? It's not 9.8.

Common defect on this book and doesn't seem to factor into the grade as it is possible to get 9.8 with it present.

So my question about your response to the wolverine #1 is if all else were perfect and the production flaw on the bottom edge were the only thing, would it get a 10?

Or does the flaw prevent it from going higher than a 9.8?

Next wave in Comic Legends R.E.E.P.E.R. Men Set to Release Sizzling First Issue.

"Who Are The R.E.E.P.E.R. Men"

Never mind ‘naughty or nice’; this year you’d better hope that you’re on the SAFE list. Set in the year 2050 , this comic weaves a creatively dark new story line centered around the overpopulation of the earth. Every comic book lover on the planet craves new villains and new heroes. This 32 page book delivers.

In iconic style with bold colours and a twisting dark plot you meet Dr. Konnick Stiffe (former CIA Phantom hitman. At its core the R.E.E.P.E.R. (Remove Every Evil Person Entity Reserve) Men is a mystery group of revolutionaries who follow Malthusian doctrine of 1798 to control overpopulation and depletion of vital, natural resources. Their plan is to place every individual unknowingly under 2 lists- “safe list” and “expunge list”. The ultimate goal is to remove every evil person.

YOU CAN ALSO CONTRIBUTE TO FUND RAISING FOR THIS EVENT IN KICKSTARTER HERE: http://q-r.to/ggv

I have an Iron Man #55 that looks VF-ish, but also looks like it was mis-folded at the factory. There's no roll, just a mis-aligned fold on the spine that causes the back side of the entire comic to show about 1/4" under the front of the book(and the front part of the comic pages shows 1/4" at the top). I've seen CGC 9.6's with similar factory mis-folds(maybe 1/8 of an inch) but is there a point where you should grade down for this? Is 1/4" too much to stay in the VF grade?

I have an Iron Man #55 that looks VF-ish, but also looks like it was mis-folded at the factory. There's no roll, just a mis-aligned fold on the spine that causes the back side of the entire comic to show about 1/4" under the front of the book(and the front part of the comic pages shows 1/4" at the top). I've seen CGC 9.6's with similar factory mis-folds(maybe 1/8 of an inch) but is there a point where you should grade down for this? Is 1/4" too much to stay in the VF grade?
My understanding is CGC grades on the physical or structural quality of a book, so a mis-wrap wouldn't be a knock on the grade.

My understanding is CGC grades on the physical or structural quality of a book, so a mis-wrap wouldn't be a knock on the grade.

Thanks! It's a great looking copy other than the mis-wrap. And as Thanos becomes a bigger part of the MCU, it's sure to go up and up. I'll probably slab it soon. :headbang: