• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Western comics.
11 11

2,258 posts in this topic

15766001346_07da7f5166_b.jpg

These are fun to collect. The art is best in Dale Evans.

There should be some Toth in Dale Evans 1 if I'm not mistaken. I would love to read that story.

I like Toth but I think Dale was by Maxwell Elkan.

e.g.

15608571047_cece8c19f8_b.jpg

Thanks for sharing. The Maxwell Elkan art looks great. I wasn't familiar with his stuff.

I just checked GCD and there is a Toth story called Case of the Terrified Tenderfoot in that issue.

Oh man! Green Lantern, Johnny Thunder and Alex Toth all together in one place!

:cloud9:

And thank you for those interior shots! That's something we rarely see.

(thumbs u

Here now are scans of my earliest Lone Ranger comics:

LoneRanger41.jpg

LoneRanger42.jpg

LoneRanger43.jpg

06-06-201175006PM.jpg

06-06-201175009PM.jpg

:cool:

Edited by Hepcat

I finally got the last issue I needed of the 4 issue Avon Geronimo series. I started buying them because I liked the Kinstler covers but was pleasantly surprised with the interiors.

Each issue has 2 or 3 Geronimo stories and a reprint from an issue of Cow Puncher. You can pretty much get the tone of the stories just based on the titles of the comics.

Issue #1.

3 Maneely Geronimo stories and a poorly drawn story from Cow Puncher #1. The first Maneely story is an "origin" of Geronimo's hatred of the whites and Mexicans.

Geronimo1x_zps96b4c797.jpg

The splash from the first Maneely story. This must have been an early morning raid since the woman never had a chance to finish buttoning her dress.

Geronimo1ManeelySplash_zps1a404a34.jpg

Issue #2.

Cover by Kinstler. 3 Geronimo stories (one by Kinstler) and a reprint from Cow Puncher #4 (Devil's Scourge).

I enjoyed the Geronimo stories but the "Devil's Scourge" really stood out. A story about someone dressing as the devil and scaring settler families out of their cabins.

Indians would then come out of hiding and suffocate the settlers to death with pillows (women and children too). The dead settlers would then have a "devil's hand print" branded on their chest and be propped up around their dinner table.

This was done to try to scare the hell out of the whites that would find them and get them to leave the territory.

Geronimo2x_zps3468ad34.jpg

The "pillow scene" from the "Devil's Scourge".

Geronimo2page_zpsa01cf238.jpg

Issue #3.

Cover by Kinstler. 2 Kinstler Geronimo stories and one story by Leonard Starr about Mangus Colorado (another Apache chief). A Cow Puncher #6 reprint based on The Murders In the Rue Morgue.

Geronimo3_zpsfb6ec910.jpg

Inside front cover by Kinstler.

Geronimo3InsideFrontCover_zps71eb983f.jpg

Splash from the first Kinstler story.

Geronimo3SplashPage_zps24520646.jpg

Issue #4.

Cover by Kinstler. 3 Geronimo stories by Gerald McCann and a reprint from Cow Puncher #5. Mainly due to McCann's art, this is my least favorite of the 4 issue run.

McCann is a poor man's version of Kinstler. Similar style but much lower quality and the people in his stories have some very odd, distorted facial features. I enjoy it in a quirky way though.

Geronimo4x_zpsa4df430a.jpg

Inside front cover by Kinstler.

Geronimo4insidefrontcover_zps084a9ab9.jpg

Here's the splash from the Cow Puncher reprint. The woman was about to be burned alive in a forest fire but was saved just in the nick of time. But not before in burned her shirt off.

She proceeds through the story in her burnt shirt with exposed bra (17 different panels) until the final panel shows her with a new shirt on. It made me laugh when she didn't even change clothes while in town the next day.

Geronimo4Splash_zps108d30d1.jpg