• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whitman Gold Key variant appreciation thread.

57 posts in this topic

Just like anyone else throwing enough money out there for funny books, you will get what you want sooner or later if you have enough greenbacks.

I hope you are right. I am personally hoping for "sooner", AND that I have enough greenbacks.

Currently it has been looking like "later" regardless of how much money I might have ready.

I am sorry that you do not agree with Doug selling me HG Whitmans. He has a right to sell his books to any one he chooses to sell them to and that person is me. I have been a great customer of his for over 15 years and he is showing loyalty to me. That is what business men do. I am paying him high dollar for the books and he appreciates my business. I have one seller on ebay who sends books to me even before I pay for them because he appreciates a good customer also. It is just business. As far as ever receiving even one third of the money I have spent on my set back that will be impossible. Comics are not investments anymore in the USA economy that I live in. Maybe that is why he sells them to me. No one else will pay over guide prices for my books. I spent over 6000 dollars on the Black hole you mentioned and who else would do that but me. It is merely a hobby for me not an investment. I do not see ever selling before I die and I am 58 years old I think I am just happy to fill this set and it is my hobby so what is wrong with having sellers who cater to me?

If you had scoured the earth for a decade building this high grade set, finding many copies raw, ebay copies in mixed lots and such, I would be much more excited for you.

lol That's exactly what she did and has been doing for sometime now. (worship) I can attest to that and also sold her one of my highly priced Whitman's. (thumbs u

I'm impressed with the collection and Bonnie's determination to bring it to fruition. :applause:

Someone beat me to this Black Hole #4 yesterday. :frustrated:

That's just hilarious man.

Not that you missed it.

Because I just saw that on CL yesterday as I am 3 hours from San Antonio and check its CL listings a few times a week. I would have drove 3 hours each way for that. I sent an email and was informed it was gone. Now im all like ... :tonofbricks:

Im quite amazed that three people noticed that variant, assuming the first person knew what they were buying. They must have, who else would buy it.

I am sorry that you do not agree with Doug selling me HG Whitmans. He has a right to sell his books to any one he chooses to sell them to and that person is me. I have been a great customer of his for over 15 years and he is showing loyalty to me. That is what business men do. I am paying him high dollar for the books and he appreciates my business. I have one seller on ebay who sends books to me even before I pay for them because he appreciates a good customer also. It is just business. As far as ever receiving even one third of the money I have spent on my set back that will be impossible. Comics are not investments anymore in the USA economy that I live in. Maybe that is why he sells them to me. No one else will pay over guide prices for my books. I spent over 6000 dollars on the Black hole you mentioned and who else would do that but me. It is merely a hobby for me not an investment. I do not see ever selling before I die and I am 58 years old I think I am just happy to fill this set and it is my hobby so what is wrong with having sellers who cater to me?

If you had scoured the earth for a decade building this high grade set, finding many copies raw, ebay copies in mixed lots and such, I would be much more excited for you.

lol That's exactly what she did and has been doing for sometime now. (worship) I can attest to that and also sold her one of my highly priced Whitman's. (thumbs u

I'm impressed with the collection and Bonnie's determination to bring it to fruition. :applause:

Shes been a board member for a year. While she could have been collecting CGC or raw before that, I doubt it. Only she could tell us that, and after reading all 56 of her posts... yeah.. I wouldn't believe it if she said she was.

I am not saying she isn't determined. Part of the equation of my opinion is patience. She paid 8x what that Black Hole 4 9.8 had just recently sold for just to pry it away from the buyer. Why? To leapfrog immediately into first place with flick of the wrist ( her checkbook for you youngsters ) She wanted it so bad ( 1st place ) she threw gobs of money at it, and got it. Again, that's the whole point of what I am saying. I am not impressed with that aspect of the set/1st place, and I get even more :eyeroll: about it when she comes here shouting look at me I'm # 1! She would have gotten there with Doug's books, or others in time, but no...

Part of my enjoyment of these variants is finding them. They are absurdly difficult. While she may love her books just as much as I, or anyone else loves theirs, I personally, am not impressed with it. She may have gotten just as much Joy in writing that check or swiping her credit card and unpacking her $6,000 package as I did when I found my cherished rare books in old dingy comic shops digging through millions of comics, fingers all black ( you divers into unbagged longboxes know what I'm talking about ) and stinky from flipping through musty 70's comics. Good for her if so. Everyone gets their kicks in different ways.

Why doesn't anyone commenting here understand that me not being impressed is my opinion. Period. Mine. It's how I feel. Why try to argue about that?

I find it interesting that the only people on here trying to argue with my opinion , which is pretty crazy in and of itself... are people that sold her books. Imagine that. I guess I wouldn't want to pizz off one of my customers either. touché eh?

I have a few of the later Whitman 3 packs. I have the one with Turok #130 (last issue which is basically an impossible book. Super nice. Can't remember what else is in the pack.

I would love to see a picture of that if you ever get the time brother. The books are hard enough. To find one sealed is just crazy.

Thanks for the support you guys . I have books many that I did not buy from Doug. It is not Doug's set it is a set I started collecting years ago and recently had about 90 books graded at CGC. It has been hard to find many of these in high grade as you know. I have a few reverse price variants that I thought I would never find. I have an un-opened Scrooge 179 Hewy Louie TWO PACK from Canada and I am on the trail of an un opened two pack of LuLu 260 . I never saw these in 20 years and I am about to purchase them, My set is not Doug's set it is mostly from a guy named Burt and his sister Iris. They are children of a man who used to distribute Whitman's. I have many sellers who I have delt with who will not sell their high grade 1980's to me yet but may someday. Those books are out there and they will sell them to all bidders not just me. In my set some of the slots are only for .75 cent books they are the hardest to find, Like my Donald Duck 243 it is not rare unless it is .75 cent and I have the highest grade of those.

CGC is starting a set for me. I called them and Doug sent them a list. I am hoping to get the ribbon for number 1 next July and take that from Andrew Rathbun who is a very rude person. Andrew has the highest grades in Whitman rares that Doug sold him and he trys to sell for outrageous prices, he is a rip off. Doug and I are working with CGC to open up a new set type of Reverse price Variants and also .75 cent books. I will have to have more graded and they will be low grade because that is all that is out there.

Why doesn't anyone commenting here understand that me not being impressed is my opinion. Period. Mine. It's how I feel. Why try to argue about that?

I find it interesting that the only people on here trying to argue with my opinion , which is pretty crazy in and of itself... are people that sold her books. Imagine that. I guess I wouldn't want to pizz off one of my customers either. touché eh?

Your absolutely entitled to your opinion and not be impressed. (shrug) However, corresponding with Bonnie for months, I saw how passionate she was to achieve the 'Top Dog' status for Whitman's and I commend that. :golfclap:

Some collectors may want the entire ASM full run 1 -700, hers is Whitman's. hm Either way it's whatever motivates you as a collector. As a research scientist, if she has the 'dough' to buy these rare collectibles and price is not an issue, more power to her. (thumbs u

I know if it was a rare book I wanted bad enough (MPFW #1), I would do the same. ;):P

Thanks for the support you guys . I have books many that I did not buy from Doug. It is not Doug's set it is a set I started collecting years ago and recently had about 90 books graded at CGC. It has been hard to find many of these in high grade as you know. I have a few reverse price variants that I thought I would never find. I have an un-opened Scrooge 179 Hewy Louie TWO PACK from Canada and I am on the trail of an un opened two pack of LuLu 260 . I never saw these in 20 years and I am about to purchase them, My set is not Doug's set it is mostly from a guy named Burt and his sister Iris. They are children of a man who used to distribute Whitman's. I have many sellers who I have delt with who will not sell their high grade 1980's to me yet but may someday. Those books are out there and they will sell them to all bidders not just me. In my set some of the slots are only for .75 cent books they are the hardest to find, Like my Donald Duck 243 it is not rare unless it is .75 cent and I have the highest grade of those.

CGC is starting a set for me. I called them and Doug sent them a list. I am hoping to get the ribbon for number 1 next July and take that from Andrew Rathbun who is a very rude person. Andrew has the highest grades in Whitman rares that Doug sold him and he trys to sell for outrageous prices, he is a rip off. Doug and I are working with CGC to open up a new set type of Reverse price Variants and also .75 cent books. I will have to have more graded and they will be low grade because that is all that is out there.

When you refer to rare 75 cent books are these Whitman only or Gold Key? I believe I may have some of these purchased new at the time. This would have been in 1980-1982 when you no longer saw these books for the most part. Every now and then the store in New York I was buying comics at would have new Disney comics and I would buy them as I had collected Disneys for years. Distribution got sketchy in the mid seventies as I recall even in the major east coast markets.

The 75 cent books were published by Whitman in 1984 and sold in Canada. All Gold Key books became Whitmans in 1980. Before that, Whitman variants were sold in multi packs while their Gold Key counterparts were sold at newsstands. Very tough set to complete in any grade, let alone in high grade.

Shes been a board member for a year. While she could have been collecting CGC or raw before that, I doubt it. Only she could tell us that, and after reading all 56 of her posts... yeah.. I wouldn't believe it if she said she was.

I am not saying she isn't determined. Part of the equation of my opinion is patience. She paid 8x what that Black Hole 4 9.8 had just recently sold for just to pry it away from the buyer. Why? To leapfrog immediately into first place with flick of the wrist ( her checkbook for you youngsters ) She wanted it so bad ( 1st place ) she threw gobs of money at it, and got it. Again, that's the whole point of what I am saying. I am not impressed with that aspect of the set/1st place, and I get even more :eyeroll: about it when she comes here shouting look at me I'm # 1! She would have gotten there with Doug's books, or others in time, but no...

Part of my enjoyment of these variants is finding them. They are absurdly difficult. While she may love her books just as much as I, or anyone else loves theirs, I personally, am not impressed with it. She may have gotten just as much Joy in writing that check or swiping her credit card and unpacking her $6,000 package as I did when I found my cherished rare books in old dingy comic shops digging through millions of comics, fingers all black ( you divers into unbagged longboxes know what I'm talking about ) and stinky from flipping through musty 70's comics. Good for her if so. Everyone gets their kicks in different ways.

you continue to rain on someone else's joyful parade and continue to justify it?? that is VERY pathetic imo

my quote to the negative person (silverdream) on this thread is:

"you continue to rain on someone else's joyful parade and continue to justify it?? that is pathetic !

I am ashamed that you would downplay someone who is building. a registry set that they are passionate about.

You are not impressed? well I am and I have not sold her any comics, I have checked the registry and it is very well done with pictures and info.

Thanks !950's war comics I do not understand what Silverdream is saying. I have been collecting Whitman Looney tunes for over 18 years and I bled into Bugs Bunny and then into the rares and the scarce gold Key Whitmans around 2002. Looney Tunes are my favorite because that is what my Grandfather read to me. I do not care if Silverdream is not impressed with my collection because I am. I do not understand his view point but I do not care what he thinks. I have been a CGC member since 2004 and sending books to them to grade. I do not know a thing about comics except for Whitmans.

My passion in completing the set is just like any completion collector, and that is completion. The set and the value of it went up with the Black Hole 4 which I paid too much for I agree with him on that, but it also made my set more valuable so it is OK with me. As for his comment about me showing off my collection OK I am doing that, but it makes me happy to achieve this and I wanted my friends to share that with me. I think since 2002 I have bought a book with every pay check every two weeks and from different people. I have had to work very hard searching and buying these books. I also have been ripped off more times than I can count on e-bay for books said to grade high and come to me looking low grade and damaged by packaged in a paper envelope. This is my hobby and now it is coming to fruition and I thank my friends and fellow comic collectors for the support. For many years (10) I worked as a travel contract Medical Scientist and I lived alone traveling all over the USA. I lived a lonely life and they say people who collect things are lonely. I do not know but maybe that is where my passion comes from. I work hard for my money and I reserve the right to spend it on books if I want them.

I am willing to pay more than it is worth for a high grade Winnie the Pooh 22 because mine was stolen in 2004 and I have not found one yet. When something you can not replace is stolen from you it really bites not to be able to find it. They got my Donald Duck 222 also so I still am seeking one of those too.

Bonnie

Edited by mttemp

Thanks !950's war comics I do not understand what Silverdream is saying. I have been collecting Whitman Looney tunes for over 18 years and I bled into Bugs Bunny and then into the rares and the scarce gold Key Whitmans around 2002. Looney Tunes are my favorite because that is what my Grandfather read to me. I do not care if Silverdream is not impressed with my collection because I am. I do not understand his view point but I do not care what he thinks. I have been a CGC member since 2004 and sending books to them to grade. I do not know a thing about comics except for Whitmans.

My passion in completing the set is just like any completion collector, and that is completion. The set and the value of it went up with the Black Hole 4 which I paid too much for I agree with him on that, but it also made my set more valuable so it is OK with me. As for his comment about me showing off my collection OK I am doing that, but it makes me happy to achieve this and I wanted my friends to share that with me. I think since 2002 I have bought a book with every pay check every two weeks and from different people. I have had to work very hard searching and buying these books. I also have been ripped off more times than I can count on e-bay for books said to grade high and come to me looking low grade and damaged by packaged in a paper envelope. This is my hobby and now it is coming to fruition and I thank my friends and fellow comic collectors for the support. For many years (10) I worked as a travel contract Medical Scientist and I lived alone traveling all over the USA. I lived a lonely life and they say people who collect things are lonely. I do not know but maybe that is where my passion comes from. I work hard for my money and I reserve the right to spend it on books if I want them.

I am willing to pay more than it is worth for a high grade Winnie the Pooh 22 because mine was stolen in 2004 and I have not found one yet. When something you can not replace is stolen from you it really bites not to be able to find it. They got my Donald Duck 222 also so I still am seeking one of those too.

Bonnie

No need to justify your collection; most of us here enjoy hearing about it and its rarity. I like obscure comics and still have all the Disney books I bought off the newsstand from 1972 until you could no longer find them.

Do you collect old Dell Looney Tune issues or just the Gold Key Whitman issues? I always thought that was an under appreciated title.

I had over 200 Dell looney Tunes but I was only offered 60 dollars for them when I downsized . So I gave them to the Hospital Thrift Store where I work so the poor could benefit from them. I kept a few early ones from my Grandpa..

It is a under rated title and maybe one day not.

I feel like I do not have to justify my collection too thanks.

McMiles I saw that book Black Hole 4 and it looked like a low grade copy? If so I have a 5.0 Black Hole 4 but it must be rare because CGC mis labeled the year and publisher on the book when I sent it in. It is on the way back for them to fix. Look me up next year when I get my books back and I will give you a great price on it if you want to. I think it is better grade than the Craigslist book is.

I have an ebay store also and I am about to add 30 more Whitmans to the 40 that I have in it. They are still high grade but I bought up grades from Doug and they are priced to sell. Here is my store. With these books being from my set they are rare and scarce in the grade they are in and priced reasonable.

http://stores.ebay.com/The-Witman-Lady?_rdc=1