• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,551 posts in this topic

He did sell more than a few of those books, even at those prices. I only picked up one of them. Expensive, ridiculously so, but the colors in hand are amazing.

I don't think I've posted this before...

PictorialRomances21_6st_a_zps6eb4fc92.jpg

Nice copy.

He didn't clean or press them and at least a few of them clearly could use it.

That new hubby doesn't sound very happy...and what's going on at the right edge? Is that scanner glare, or is the book like that? Cool cover though. (thumbs u

The right hand edge should've been trimmed inside where the art ends, but wasn't. It's a little rough, a little uneven... and yes, you can even see a speck of coal dust, still stuck to the paper in the lower right corner, that nobody bothered to knock off. One day it'll drive me to liberate the book, and I'll bet that speck comes right off.

I bought a couple off him, including this one. Tied for highest graded. Pretty clear that it would be greatly helped by a press, which I intend to do at some point. Not as a prelude to selling it, but to improve its appearance.

_57_zpsc7a669aa.jpg

As far as Sixth Street.

Including the current legal imbroglio, I suspect it's probably one of the more interesting pedigree/collection back stories. If only for the lightening-strikes -twice, be careful what you wish for aspect as it relates to the dealer.

Arguably the best GA romance collection to come to market post-2007 Crippen. A smallish love collection, at least so far, over-weighted with St John's. I believe 27 romance books were sold before the plug was pulled, for an average $875 per book. Not too shabby, considering that of the 27 there was only one 8.0 and one 9.0 - the rest of the books were lower in grade than that.

All together, I believe 57 St. John's have been slabbed to date. Grade distribution of these is very instructive, and probably corroborates what we'd find in an analysis of the present Baker census.

2.0 (1)

4.0 (2)

4.5 (3)

5.0 (5)

5.5 (1)

6.0 (13)

6.5 (13)

7.0 (11)

7.5 (5)

8.0 (3)

When the Sixth Street comes to market, and of course it will, we'll likely see it in ComicLink, where it was always intended to go anyway.

As far as Sixth Street.

Including the current legal imbroglio, I suspect it's probably one of the more interesting pedigree/collection back stories. If only for the lightening-strikes -twice, be careful what you wish for aspect as it relates to the dealer.

Arguably the best GA romance collection to come to market post-2007 Crippen. A smallish love collection, at least so far, over-weighted with St John's. I believe 27 romance books were sold before the plug was pulled, for an average $875 per book. Not too shabby, considering that of the 27 there was only one 8.0 and one 9.0 - the rest of the books were lower in grade than that.

All together, I believe 57 St. John's have been slabbed to date. Grade distribution of these is very instructive, and probably corroborates what we'd find in an analysis of the present Baker census.

2.0 (1)

4.0 (2)

4.5 (3)

5.0 (5)

5.5 (1)

6.0 (13)

6.5 (13)

7.0 (11)

7.5 (5)

8.0 (3)

When the Sixth Street comes to market, and of course it will, we'll likely see it in ComicLink, where it was always intended to go anyway.

Wow, I didn't realize he'd sold that many. I do remember he posted links to some photos of the books that were yet to come, books he may not have ever gotten around to slabbing. There were more Teen-Age Romances, a couple of Cinderella Loves, and a nice run of Diary Secrets. I'd sure like to see those come to market one day. Hope you're right about that.

What is the legal hassle all about?

There was some dispute between the seller and the people who owned the books. Don't know exact details, but speculation is the owner(s) decided they wanted to renegotiate terms once they saw how much the books were going for on eBay.

What is the legal hassle all about?

Apparently some guy tried to trade snakes for books. Before order was restored the National Gurad had to be called out and three counties were placed under martial law. :D

He did sell more than a few of those books, even at those prices. I only picked up one of them. Expensive, ridiculously so, but the colors in hand are amazing.

I don't think I've posted this before...

PictorialRomances21_6st_a_zps6eb4fc92.jpg

:applause: One of my very favorite Bakers. :cloud9:

Being in the UK I suspect I never even saw some of the ones he sold before they went. I'd certainly have been all over that one. (Got an undercopy by any chance?)

I thought his prices were very inconsistent. I only got these two. I find them doubly appealing because they are self evidently not pressed. I like them just as they are.

TeenageTemptations2CGC_zps138087af.jpg

TrueLovePictorial11_zps07d29052.jpg

Edited by Flex Mentallo