• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
25 25

9,258 posts in this topic

So here's a toughie for you - Joe Maneely or John Severin? Which fellow's covers do you prefer?

???

That's not an easy question to answer.

So I looked through a couple of the Atlas Western runs on Comic Vine myself yesterday and that indeed is not an easy question to answer. Noting the covers that grabbed me the most, they turned out to be a mixture of Maneely, Severin and even Carl Burgos covers.

(shrug)

Burgos gets my vote for most under appreciated. Over the years I've really come to respect his efforts. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

So here's a toughie for you - Joe Maneely or John Severin? Which fellow's covers do you prefer?

???

That's not an easy question to answer.

So I looked through a couple of the Atlas Western runs on Comic Vine myself yesterday and that indeed is not an easy question to answer. Noting the covers that grabbed me the most, they turned out to be a mixture of Maneely, Severin and even Carl Burgos covers.

(shrug)

It is easier to pick a favorite Atlas War artist. For me it's Russ Heath.

Everett for horror/fantasy, with Harry Anderson in the #2 spot.

Heath for war, Maneely next.

Maneely for westerns, but Severin a very close second.

DeCarlo for teen books, Hartley second.

Al Hartley for romance, Coletta second ( too bad Romita wasn't doing romance covers for Atlas though)

Burgos was capable of greatness, some of his war covers among the best of the genre, but too much of his work looks second rate to my eyes.

Everett for horror/fantasy, with Harry Anderson in the #2 spot.

Heath for war, Maneely next.

Maneely for westerns, but Severin a very close second.

DeCarlo for teen books, Hartley second.

Al Hartley for romance, Coletta second ( too bad Romita wasn't doing romance covers for Atlas though)

Burgos was capable of greatness, some of his war covers among the best of the genre, but too much of his work looks second rate to my eyes.

When it comes to horror, Everett, Heath, and Maneely are the top 3. At that point it becomes a matter of preference. Everett happens to be my personal favorite. Each brought greatness to Atlas PCH and has one of the signature classic Atlas PCH covers:

Maneely- Astonishing 30

Heath- Suspense 14

Everett- Venus 19

3 of Atlas' greatest covers IMHO. Anderson was fantastic too. In one sense, will we ever know whether Maneely reached his true potential given his tragic death at such a relatively young age? He may have well become the next Kirby and that's something you don't often hear about an artist.

In one sense, will we ever know whether Maneely reached his true potential given his tragic death at such a relatively young age? He may have well become the next Kirby and that's something you don't often hear about an artist.

Stan Lee thought very highly of Maneely.

Imagine if fate had worked out differently, and it was Kirby who'd tragically died before FF #1 and Maneely who lived to become Marvels mainstay.

Nice YC #1 I wouldn't mind finding a reasonably priced midgrade copy someday.
+1

.... This one actually looks a little nicer in hand..... and the PQ is spectacular with no cover tanning.... but it wasn't reasonable.... it was 525. It may end up for sale if I end up winning this one book in a recent auction.... but that's unlikely. I really like Maneely's work on this one..... the background details are astounding. I'd known about this one for a few years now....and I finally caved. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

..... the high grade copy Superworld had a few years ago was a real beast..... it ended up out west....