• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 227 the "key" Neal Adams Batman book to have?
4 4

2,411 posts in this topic

The story in this book is massively underrated, imo. It fits with the cover perfectly.

It's a classic, gothic Batman story that wouldn't have felt out of place in the pre-Robins.

I was just re-reading the Batman's Strangest Cases treasury which has it. So great to read it in the larger size. This was a real homage to the tone and feel of the early Tecs.

+1

I've never understood why the #227 story has a reputation for being such a dog.

Granted, the Irv Novick art is a bit of a let-down when compared to the Adams cover, but even then some of the art fairly decent.

The story's about as gothic as you can get: Batman takes on a Satanic cult trying to unleash a demon, and is aided by the spirit of one of their previous sacrificial victims. Take out Batman and the story would have fit in nicely with one of DC's gothic romance books.

I guess it's tame and a bit silly by today's writing standards, but considering that public perception of Batman at the time was shaped largely by Adam West and Hanna Barbara, this is pretty intense stuff.

No question there's some 70's turds wrapped in a cool Neal Adams cover, but #227 isn't one of them.

Couldn't agree more.

I'm a fan of Novick's, and I think the interior to 227 is possibly his best Batman work. It's certainly the best splash page he ever did, imo. I think he more than held his own drawing at the same time as arguably the best DC artist of the 70's.

Speaking of the story; not only is Batman aided by the spirit of a previous sacrificial victim, at the same time the cult is preparing another human sacrifice: Alfred's niece!

Batman227p12.JPG

Then there's the hanging panels which fit perfectly with the theme. Novick drew the expressions on the faces perfectly. Excellent layout, too.

Batman227p9.jpg

Even though this is exactly what Schwartz, O'Neil and the artists were trying to do back then, there's a gothic intensity to this book that makes it stand out. And even if it is "only" Novick, the art adds a huge amount of weight to it. I'm pretty passionate about how great this issue is. :)

I just read the issue and I enjoyed the story. I liked the supernatural element and Batman's mysterious guide. We also see Batman feel sorrow, I won't say anything else, I don't want to spoil it for any one. One panel does make my neck hurt, postings from Cyclops above will show you why. The Robin back up story wasn't half bad, it looks to be continued in # 228, an issue I don't have, I assume Robin saves the day. I really enjoyed the art, it still looks good on 44 year old off-white pages. The story of Gothos Mansion and it's demon is true DC Bronze age horror, simple and short.

Just a reminder that the complete auction of my slabbed Batman books (a near complete run from #201 - 253, all high-grade) will be ending in two days (this Tuesday night, Dec 2) on ComicLink.com. A lot of effort went into assembling this #1 registry run, and there are some choice books that are really difficult to find.

Obviously the highlights are the #227 9.8, #234 9.8, #232 9.8, #222 9.8, #251 9.8 and #238 9.4 (top grade for this impossible to find book), but there are a lot more in-between books.

Its a lot of books to sell/buy at one time, but Comic Link does offer time payments for buyers who want to seize this opportunity to go after this run with all high-grade books.

Best of luck!

Bob

I should have taken a picture of the horde when I boxed them up to ComicLink, but here is a nice representative sample!

IMG_5268_zps907d0bfd.jpg

Nice copy with great PQ too. Would make a great center piece in any Bats collection.

Yeah. I agree 232 is probably the better all-around book, but 227 does grow on you. I found that out as soon as I got my copy a few years ago. It certainly doesn't hurt that this issue sees more free press than any other Bats book out there from this era. I was surprised 227 was officially recognized as the highest valued Adams Bats book in Overstreet this year.