• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,155 posts in this topic

IIRC Wasn't there a thread or discussion about paying with check or money order?

I stay clear of sellers that require this type of payment, which in turn makes me miss out on a book.

I would never send somebody I don't know, a check or a money order and hope they send my book. Money order most definitely not, it's like sending someone cash in an envelope.

How does one protect themselves against fraud with paying this way?

I don't see how to dispute a money order, maybe a check but then if they are frauds they have my account number and routing number.

Is getting burned and nominating the seller to the PL or HOS going to get my money back?

Is it just Trust? Cause I trust very little people as far as I can throw them. 2c

Many, many, many years ago I bought a too-good-to-be-true lot of baseball cards through Yahoo Auctions (told you it was many years ago) and the seller required payment via MO. Being young and stupid I sent a $400 MO and I'm still waiting for my cards to arrive. That was the first and last time I didn't use Paypal.

I got taken in 1999 for a set of Primer #2 and Grendel #1-3, all signed. $180 money order sent.

I'm still waiting.

Then I bought a set of every Valiant/Acclaim comic ever published (except Unity #0 Red) from Joe Petrilak in 1999.

I've never gotten everything, but I settled (and I do mean settled) in around 2007.

I have been paid and will pay either way depending on the seller. I was sent a check for just shy of 5 figures. Why? The buyer trusted me as a seller and got a discount. I have paid a couple of guys via the same method. Why? Because in return I got a discount. Would I send most guys a check? Nope.

Do people even have checks anymore?

Yup wrote 3 this year. One to Randy, one to my wedding venue and 1 to the photographer lol

I have been paid and will pay either way depending on the seller. I was sent a check for just shy of 5 figures. Why? The buyer trusted me as a seller and got a discount. I have paid a couple of guys via the same method. Why? Because in return I got a discount. Would I send most guys a check? Nope.

Do people even have checks anymore?

I don't! :whee: Checks are for old people. :preach:

I'm old :sumo:

Don't discard me

Just because you think I mean you harm

Holy Carp - when is your next sale thread? I've got my pizz can and 1/2 g o' Wild Turkey ready!!!! :D

Oh sorry, didn't realize. I've just been carpet-bombing wherever I can, ended up accidentally signing up for a comic dating website, too.
:lol: hope your not straight...., oh...., wait a sec...., :blush:

Quick question for you guys...I bought a key/grail modern with timed payments. I just made my final payment and the seller has not logged on since 9/19 nor replied to any pm's. I have not heard from him...should I be worried? When would you start contacting paypal. I know I won't get 100% of my $ back but if I was scammed then I would like to get back as much as possible.

I will not mention any names (as of now) just in case I'm just being paranoid. Thanks for any help and suggestions!

Edited by John91C

Have you tried sending him an email using his Paypal address? If you did and he ignored that as well, then I would consider beginning to worry. He may have just not been on the boards recently.

Give it a shot. People only get emails if they set it up that way and very few actually do. Hopefully he just took a break from the board and its nothing more.

It's been 7 weeks since the last payment.

I know people get "busy" but isn't this a bit much?

I'm not sure what you paid, but if it was a large amount - you did mention "Grail", I would expected to have it by now.

What was their last communication to you? Did they say they were going to ship it? Did they acknowledge your payments, especially your last one?

Actually the payment dates were the following:

7/31

8/28

9/26

11/7 final payment

I always send a pm on here when I send a payment. His last post on the cgc forum was 9/19. Is there a way to check when he last logged on?

I realized after I sent the final payment that he hasn't checked his pm's since my last pm on 9/26.

It's been almost 24 hours since I E-mailed him via the paypal E-mail info.

I will give him until tomorrow to respond and then I will out him and put him up for PL and go with paypal.

I know I won't get most of my $ back but this really sucks that he hasn't responded or logged on in over 7 weeks.