• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signature Series Noob Thread READ HERE BEFORE STARTING THREAD
9 9

254 posts in this topic

Noob 1st post:

Part 1: My experience -

Phoenix CC in June was my very first book-signing, and I got two books signed by Stan Lee.

That was pretty much a cattle-processing experience - give his handler your book, he slides it to Stan, Stan signs it while another handler moves you along and then gives you your book back and then you go stand in line to fill out the paperwork for submitting them for CGC SS. The CGC-submissions were handled by Anastasia's Collectibles.

After it was all said and done, I really hope I had done it the right way for a SS, but it seemed at least to me to be a bit disorganized and very rushed (obviously with a Stan-sized crowd they moved a LOT of people through).

Anyway, it was really cool to see "The Man" in person for the first time, and to get his signatures on a couple of his books.

Part 2: My concerns -

A) Is this typical for a mega-signing like Stan Lee? I've never seen a SS signing before and hope I did it correctly - they did take my book and my forms and my money, so I hope I get back the yellow labels. :)

B) I have several other books I want SS'd with Stan Lee and am hoping to go to Comikaze in October to get the rest of them signed and SS'd there. But I don't know if there'll be CGC SS submissions there or not. There's really not much info on the Comikaze site and no responses by emails.

So... does anyone know if there'll be SS submissions at Comikaze this year?

Thanks,

[font:Book Antiqua]Have you tried to buy SS Stan Lee books on EBay?

they are cheaper by the dozen...

[/font]

meh2c

I am going to respond to this because of all the Stan Lee hate that gets thrown around the sig room. I understand that the glut of Stan Lee SS books on Ebay makes it annoying and time consuming to search for other stuff. What I don't understand is why that frustration, and the frustration over the perceived glut of Stan lee books gets thrown at folks that ask questions about getting Stan Lee SS. I have 10 or 12 Stan Lees. None have ever been on Ebay and none have caused anyone any problem that I know of.

For me, the Silver Age stuff that he wrote is what I felt the need to get done. But I don't think it is "wrong" for someone who has a stronger connection to Deadpool or Guardians of the Galaxy to get that type of book done by the "father" of Marvel Comics.

As it relates to the OP's specific questions:

(1) I am virtually certain that you are good to go, but you can call Anastasia's to confirm.

(2) You should call them anyway to confirm that they are doing Stan Lee for Comikaze. Lately, they have been doing all of the West Coast Stan Lee signings, but it is possible that NYComics is doing that one.

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks mon!

And it is his SA stuff that I'm getting done now.

About half are my own personal SA choices, the other half are typical SA keys. Either way Ebay is definitely NOT chock full of most of what I want signed, other's irrelevant input notwithstanding.

Thanks for the input! :)

Thanks mon!

And it is his SA stuff that I'm getting done now.

About half are my own personal SA choices, the other half are typical SA keys. Either way Ebay is definitely NOT chock full of most of what I want signed, other's irrelevant input notwithstanding.

Thanks for the input! :)

Good Luck, Bro!

I can't imagine the OP not getting CGC SS, if there had been a problem, it would have been brought up at the time of submission. It looks like he made some good choices for books to be signed as well!

I agree, the Stan Lee line/process is a bit odd, overwhelming, disappointing, and exciting. It is certainly unique. From the description, I assume you didn't get to even shake hands with him. That would be a real bummer, but it keeps things moving.

I am still dumbfounded by the stuff people have Mr. Lee sign. I had been contemplating a thread called "Why Did You Have Stan Sign THAT? We find the most absurd stuff for sale with Stan Lee's signature on it, ask the seller why they chose it and post their answers along with a pic of the item. I can't decide if it would be amusing and funny or just a move, that's why I have held off. I still think the Batman blank out there signed "To Dr. Cooper" is sort of funny but in the long run I think someone will be disappointed. It's not really from Big Bang Theory or a cool Stan Lee item, so, in time, it won't appeal to much of anyone. And to be clear, I'm not hating Stan, I'm hating the dumb stuff people have signed in the name of a profit. I have at least 18 items by him right now and I don't plan on selling any of them, they are each unique and each has a connection to him beyond just being a Marvel book.

I get the concept that he is the "father of Marvel Comics" but I am still surprised that CGC allows anything Marvel signed by him to be considered for CGC SS. That's weak sauce. Do not enter that sauce in the county fair because it is weak!

lol

Hi There :)

A Couple of thoughts.

Lately both Anastasia's Collectibles and our company NYComics have been helping Stan out with CGC SS at shows. Also Scott's Collectibles helped them out in London.

Anyways Stan and his manager Max are very accommodating for CGC Signature Series.

Yes it is fast paced however there are alot of people to meet Stan and I know that Stan's goal is to meet and see as many fans as he can when he goes out.

As for Comicaze I know I am not doing it, I am sure Anastasia's will be there to help you out. Our next big show is the New York Comic Con where if you get in line for Stan you will be able to get CGC SS by submitting through us.

Good Luck!

Sean

Hi There :)

A Couple of thoughts.

Lately both Anastasia's Collectibles and our company NYComics have been helping Stan out with CGC SS at shows. Also Scott's Collectibles helped them out in London.

Anyways Stan and his manager Max are very accommodating for CGC Signature Series.

Yes it is fast paced however there are alot of people to meet Stan and I know that Stan's goal is to meet and see as many fans as he can when he goes out.

As for Comicaze I know I am not doing it, I am sure Anastasia's will be there to help you out. Our next big show is the New York Comic Con where if you get in line for Stan you will be able to get CGC SS by submitting through us.

Good Luck!

Sean

After seeing responses here, I emailed Anastasia's and they said they ARE doing Comikaze so that'll be good.

Thanks for the feedback guys. It helps to kind of know how it's supposed to go, since that was my first time.

I've never been to a convention with CGC present before so this is all new to me, also searching through the threads didn't help either.

So I have 2 books already graded by CGC (universal blue labels ) that ide like to have signed at a upcoming convention.

2. Do I need to remove the book from its CGC case myself then go get my books signed, or will CGC remove the book for me?

3. since my books are already graded will there be a discount to have them re-graded yellow label?

what was question 1?

2. yes, do it yourself.

3. No discount just for already being graded.

I'm new to this so I guess I can post my question here. I just discovered that Peter Cullen will attend SacAnime Con in Sacramento, CA from Jan 2 to Jan 4. There's a comic I would love hi to sign and get CGC graded. However I won't be able to attend. So is there anyone that I can go through where I can mail them the comic, have them get it signed and graded, and mail it back to me? Thanks for helping this newbie out with his inquiry.

So I'm completely new to both collecting comics and getting them signed.

As such, I have a few questions that hopefully aren't too stupid.

1) If I don't do CGC at all on my comics (standard grading or SS), will I be severely hampering any resale value if I get them signed? Put another way, will only buy signed comics if they're SS slabbed or can I still get a decent return on investment without that additional expense?

2) I've noticed that some artists, such as Neal Adams, will add a head sketch to comic covers that they sign for an additional fee. Is that a standard thing at Comic Cons or will only a handful of artists entertain such requests? What's the general cost for that? (Note that I'm not talking about the blank covers, but small sketches done by the artist on the standard covers.)

3) If I do decide to do CGC SS (or a later CGC Green Label) and I get a sketch done on the standard cover of a comic when the artist signs it, would that affect the grade since it's more than just a signature?

Thanks all!

So I'm completely new to both collecting comics and getting them signed.

As such, I have a few questions that hopefully aren't too stupid.

1) If I don't do CGC at all on my comics (standard grading or SS), will I be severely hampering any resale value if I get them signed? Put another way, will only buy signed comics if they're SS slabbed or can I still get a decent return on investment without that additional expense?

2) I've noticed that some artists, such as Neal Adams, will add a head sketch to comic covers that they sign for an additional fee. Is that a standard thing at Comic Cons or will only a handful of artists entertain such requests? What's the general cost for that? (Note that I'm not talking about the blank covers, but small sketches done by the artist on the standard covers.)

3) If I do decide to do CGC SS (or a later CGC Green Label) and I get a sketch done on the standard cover of a comic when the artist signs it, would that affect the grade since it's more than just a signature?

Thanks all!

1. Its case dependent. If you had a random midgrade ASM 77, and had Stan Lee sign it, you probably will bump the value by $40, but you paid $50 for the sig. But if you had a VF Batman 612 signed for free by Jim Lee, it might bump the value to $10-15 (from like $3-4). In general, for very high value or key stuff, raw sigs hurt the price. With lower value stuff, you might get a price bump. Like you could sell $1 comics for $2 to $5 with the right raw sig, but then there might be cost to getting the sig. Note: For moderns, its almost NEVER worth it to get CGC SS that doesn't grades lower than 9.8 unless its a key or ultra rare comic or sig.

2. Head sketches - I haven't seen a standard. Some are free, some have cost, some depend on how busy the artist is, or how much other stuff you buy from the booth, or on the mood of the artist, or how hot your gf/wife is, or how drunk they are.

3. Sketches generally don't affect the grade any more than the sig (green or yellow)

Thank you!

My first superhero comic purchase was today--a few from the "Civil War"/"Death of Captain America" arc.

I wanted to get in before the seemingly inevitable price jump that will hit when the upcoming movie goes mainstream.

I still haven't decided if I want to try to get them signed, but I'm a bit worried about killing their value as an investment if I do.

Thank you!

My first superhero comic purchase was today--a few from the "Civil War"/"Death of Captain America" arc.

I wanted to get in before the seemingly inevitable price jump that will hit when the upcoming movie goes mainstream.

I still haven't decided if I want to try to get them signed, but I'm a bit worried about killing their value as an investment if I do.

If you literally bought your first comic today, then you should absolutely not get anything signed for a while, at least not if you care about the value. Hang around, get an idea of values and prices from internet sites, etc.

If you literally bought your first comic today, then you should absolutely not get anything signed for a while, at least not if you care about the value. Hang around, get an idea of values and prices from internet sites, etc.

Your logic seems a bit flawed there.

I've been researching the market on these issues for about a month, lurking on this website for about a year and a half, and attending conventions since 2010.

Just because I only just made the purchase today doesn't mean that I don't know what I'm doing at all.

Granted, I am a bit fuzzy on a few of the particulars (hence my questions), but I have more of a handle on what I'm doing than your advice seems to imply.

couple of questions

i've submitted a few comics last year at the Super-con in miami. i didn't have a membership, but they accepted them and they took them back to sarasota graded them and sent them back in a few months.

Now how will it work with on-site grading? if i submit a few comics on a saturday this upcoming april will i get them back that same day? also i don't need a membership to submit do i? i didn't need one last time. and yes i do plan on getting a few sigs for a few comics