• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Value of Restored comics

68 posts in this topic

I'm sure this is a repeat topic, but the "search" on this forum doesn't seem to work particularly well.

Newbie to CGC-land here looking for people to chime in on what restoration does to the value of Key Silver Age books (Like Amazing Fantasy #15 or FF #1)

If there's a restored 5.0 with color touch & trimmed edges, for the people who would even consider getting a restored book (I know some people avoid them like the plague), what's a fair comparison?

Should a Restored Key 5.0 be selling around what a 4.0 unrestored sells for? a 3.5? 3.0?

What do the luminaries of the board have to say, who are of a mind to share their knowledge with a newbie...

Your best bet would be to get a subscription to GPA and you can see what restored copies bring in compared to Blue label.

I dont believe there is any set formula that works. Each book is unique.

And Welcome to the Boards.

Edited by faster friends

Your best bet would be to get a subscription to GPA and you can see what restored copies bring in compared to Blue label.

I did get a GPA account (yesterday) and I have looked at realized prices.

I've also had people on another thread telling me all about how GPA is not reflective of all sales and should be used with a grain of salt.

SO.....while I am well aware that every book is different, I am asking here for people's OPINION.

What do you think about this? What would you Personally pay for a 5.0 that is trimmed/color-touched (all other things being equal)?

You CERTAINLY would not pay what you'd pay for an unrestored copy, I'm assuming.

Edited by BobBretall

With restoration, it really varies from book to book. But if you have a trimmed/color touched 5.0, it would likely be worth less than a 2.0 unrestored book (the spread between restored value and unrestored value is much bigger than comparing a 5.0 restored to a 3.5/4.0 unrestored like you mentioned in your first post -- it is more like 5.0 restored to 1.0/1.5 unrestored). And trimming would probably be the type or restoration to avoid, as it can never be undone, whereas color touch or an added piece could potentially be removed.

With restoration, it really varies from book to book. But if you have a trimmed/color touched 5.0, it would likely be worth less than a 2.0 unrestored book (the spread between restored value and unrestored value is much bigger than comparing a 5.0 restored to a 3.5/4.0 unrestored like you mentioned in your first post -- it is more like 5.0 restored to 1.0/1.5 unrestored). And trimming would probably be the type or restoration to avoid, as it can never be undone, whereas color touch or an added piece could potentially be removed.

For a key like AF #15 this certainly does not seem to be reflected in the GPA data.....

It may be true for some random book, but on keys, they seems to be documented as selling for much higher prices.

On AF 15, restored books seem to go for 30 - 60% of unrestored in same grade.

I'm getting the feeling this is not the experience of people, but I also think people are taking experience from non-keys and applying it to ultra-keys.

I think they are kind of apples & oranges on this, at least that is what the data would suggest.

Restored is very difficult to nail down as a value percentage and as you have eluded to depends on the book. The more restoration, the more the value decreases. The individual who did the restoring will also affect the value (child who coloured some black lines in with a sharpie vs a professional who used the proper inks). Trimming is a killer for most and will become the hardest.

Things to consider:

Rarity of the book - if the book is rare, then people will still pay a fair amount for the book even with restoration.

Amount of restoration - more there is the "less" original it is.

Quality of restoration - better done better the premium

Personally I would rather take a blue lesser grade than a higher grade purple. The market for restored books is smaller and thus resale is currently difficult but for discount it might be attractive.

On AF 15, restored books seem to go for 30 - 60% of unrestored in same grade.

I'm getting the feeling this is not the experience of people, but I also think people are taking experience from non-keys and applying it to ultra-keys.

I think they are kind of apples & oranges on this, at least that is what the data would suggest.

Someone paying 60% GPA on a restored book as common as AF15 needs their head examined. Superman 1, Action 1, Batman 1, etc I can see paying. I think there was a Marvel 1 that went for a good penny that was restored.

This is certainly useful feedback.

Since I'm not buying for resale/investment, I'd be happy to buy a restored AF 15 for a fraction of the unrestored price. The trick is finding someone selling one for some price that's not crazy.

This "fraction of unrestored for trimmed books" is not being embraced by sellers who are listing restored AF 15s at crazy high prices, and seem to be getting people to bite & pay these prices on occasion, as there are a decent number of recorded sales at fairly good percentages of unrestored.

Yep, if you started this thread with AF 15 in mind, well, that's a very different ball game than the other 99.99999% of books out there. It doesn't follow the same rules, and there's a floor to get in for virtually any copy with a cover regardless of defects. I'd be quite happy with a trimmed copy.

It depends on the book, amount of resto done and grade so it can vary greatly.

For instance a 4.0 AF15 with slight CT may sell for 80% of the 4.0 blue label whereas a 8.0 lesser key with heavy resto may sell for 10% of the blue label value.

Heritage just had a bunch of big SA keys on their Sunday weekly auctions last month with minor/moderate resto and they all did very well. The demand/love for purple label books on the boards is pretty low. Whenever they come to market they tend to sell at decent percentages of blue labels(50%+.)

The demand for "affordable" mega SA keys is huge right now so there are gladly people who will gladly pay ~65% for a purple label with some CT and tear seals and a reinforced cover.

A lot of the restored AF 15s I'm seeing have the "demon trimming" and seem to be selling just fine as well.

The demand for "affordable" mega SA keys is huge right now so there are gladly people who will gladly pay ~65% for a purple label with some CT and tear seals and a reinforced cover.

A lot of the restored AF 15s I'm seeing have the "demon trimming" and seem to be selling just fine as well.

Trimming can be hit or miss 3 sides noticeably trimmed can crush the value of a book where 1 side with trimming that can't be noticed can do very well(even more so after the JIM fiasco earlier this year.)