• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

I sense a Hulk 180/181 storm is brewing...

Not really, Marvel officially lists the publication date of Avenging Spider-man #9 as a week before Captain Marvel #1, and in Avenging Spider-Man #9 she is CLEARLY identified as Captain Marvel:

15677241591_7001f8699c_b.jpg

And yet bizarrely it says.

"PREVIOUSLY...

CAROL DANVERS GOT AN AWESOME NEW COSTUME AND IS NOW CAPTAIN MARVEL!"

I'll keep my money on Captain Marvel #1

D

And yet if you read the text again in the red area it says "CAROL DANVERS GOT AN AWESOME NEW COSTUME AND IS NOW CAPTAIN MARVEL! You can find out more about that in Captain Marvel #1, which will be on sale next week!"

You left out that very key sentence. In fact read ALL the text in the red area, I think this is a settled discussion now.

Here's the whole text in the red area on the inside of Avenging #9, I typed it out since it is kind of small in places and not everybody may be able to easily read it:

Previously…

Some time ago, Peter Parker’s Aunt May moved to Boston. Also…

CAROL DANVERS GOT AN AWESOME NEW

COSTUME AND IS NOW CAPTAIN MARVEL!

(You can find out more about that in Captain Marvel #1, which will be on sale next week!

But this story takes place AFTER Captain Marvel #1, so “previously” still applies in a story sense and

really what this means is that you are holding the FUTURE OF COMICS right in your very hands!)

Perhaps a better comparison is with Gambit (Uncanny X-Men #266 and Uncanny X-Men Annual #14).

Meck

Except Gambit wasn't on the cover of the X-Men Annual #14, that probably was a big influence with what book became the market favorite.

Besides, from the text we now see inside Avenging #9, it's without a doubt Marvel acknowledges Captain Marvel #1 won't come out until a week after Avenging #9 and even makes note of it.

And yet if you read the text again in the red area it says "CAROL DANVERS GOT AN AWESOME NEW COSTUME AND IS NOW CAPTAIN MARVEL! You can find out more about that in Captain Marvel #1, which will be on sale next week!"

You left out that very key sentence. In fact read ALL the text in the red area, I think this is a settled discussion now.

Oh yea, it's settled. First time in these boards? :roflmao:

Anyway, that's reads like an origin story to me. That doesn't mean it's her first appearance.

Perhaps a better comparison is with Gambit (Uncanny X-Men #266 and Uncanny X-Men Annual #14).

Meck

Except Gambit wasn't on the cover of the X-Men Annual #14, that probably was a big influence with what book became the market favorite.

Besides, from the text we now see inside Avenging #9, it's without a doubt Marvel acknowledges Captain Marvel #1 won't come out until a week after Avenging #9 and even makes note of it.

He wasn't?

Edited by ygogolak

Meck

OK, I'll admit it. I've seen this cover a million times, but never read the book.

Who is that on the cover that kind of looks like Gambit, but maybe a cyborg version?

X-Men_Annual_Vol_1_14.jpg

Oh, and this Marvel Wiki (if that counts for anything) still lists this as Gambit's first appearance.

http://marvel.wikia.com/Uncanny_X-Men_Annual_Vol_1_1990

Oh yea, it's settled. First time in these boards? :roflmao:

Anyway, that's reads like an origin story to me. That doesn't mean it's her first appearance.

If it came out a week before Captain Marvel #1, and Carol Danvers goes by Captain Marvel in the story, that means it appeared first correct? Appeared first in shops for people to read and buy. Thus, by the truest sense of the word, the first appearance of Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel. I've already made it clear, as does the text in the issue that chronologically it takes place after CM #1, if that's the point you're trying to make.

So is this debate going on because we have a bunch of people holding large stashes of Ms Captain Marvel?

Fixed that for ya..... I kid, I kid.

Except if that's true then how much time do you spend counting pennies and ignoring real money?