• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Maxx Appreciation Thread
4 4

767 posts in this topic

Did you know, the red and blue Maxx 1/2s were offered on Wizard's website around 2007 for $10 or so each...?

True story.

Actually, they were on Wizard's website for $49.99 not $10.00 when I purchased them. And yes they stated limited to 10. I also confirmed it when I attended a Wizard World Philly Con years ago

when I approach a gentleman at the Wizard booth with a blue and red in hand. He actually called up one of the owners of Wizard who confirmed he remembers that they were limited to 10 copies.

So there you have some data and history of these rare gems.

10 red and 10 blues were made as test proofs.

They decided to go with purple and sent out so many gold as dealer incentives. 6 blues and 2 reds were picked up by a boardie. Those are the only copies I can account for. Where the other 12 are, who knows? (shrug)

There is a 9.8 Blue Sig Series book. I think Chainnball did it. It's a safe bet he doesn't have it any more.

They decided to go with purple and sent out so many gold as dealer incentives. 6 blues and 2 reds were picked up by a boardie. Those are the only copies I can account for. Where the other 12 are, who knows? (shrug)

There is a 9.8 Blue Sig Series book. I think Chainnball did it. It's a safe bet he doesn't have it any more.

And you are correct. I thought I had a line on a 9.4 Red, but that lead has dried up. However, has lead me to possible black ashcans....

When I purchased the 6 blues & 2 reds, the next day I went to accquire more and they were sold out. Very safe bet that Wizard don't have anymore.

:) Thanks for weighing in on this

When I purchased the 6 blues & 2 reds, the next day I went to accquire more and they were sold out. Very safe bet that Wizard don't have anymore.

:) Thanks for weighing in on this

You got it!!!

Enjoy the book! :)

Next HUGE step for me is to get this and hopefully have a red by that time, signed by Mr. Sam Kieth himself. I would like to keep it CGCed and as some know, I have NO freaking clue how any of that works.

So I am putting away pennies for that glorious day. Hopefully they will have added up sufficiently.

Did you know, the red and blue Maxx 1/2s were offered on Wizard's website around 2007 for $10 or so each...?

True story.

Actually, they were on Wizard's website for $49.99 not $10.00 when I purchased them. And yes they stated limited to 10. I also confirmed it when I attended a Wizard World Philly Con years ago

when I approach a gentleman at the Wizard booth with a blue and red in hand. He actually called up one of the owners of Wizard who confirmed he remembers that they were limited to 10 copies.

You know that's just hearsay, right...?

:popcorn:

And you are correct. I thought I had a line on a 9.4 Red, but that lead has dried up. However, has lead me to possible black ashcans....

Keep us informed.

Keep us informed.

Will do. Be interesting to see which ones landed here....

True story.

The same can be said about what you posted, but being that I actually purchased the books directly from the Wizard website I know what I paid for them. You have a choice to believe it or not.

True story.

The same can be said about what you posted

That's right...that's why I used language that expressed that, rather than stating it as fact.

The question wasn't what you paid for them....the question is whether they were really "limited to 10."

You, and I, have it on hearsay. "I heard from a guy who heard from a guy that they were limited to 10."

While that's certainly possible, it may not be very likely, especially considering printing technology and requirements of 1993. Even the "limited to X" books always have additional copies printed, to account for potential spoilage.

Were there only 10, ever, and not a single one more, or less, made?

Maybe.

True story.

That's right...that's why I used language that expressed that, rather than stating it as fact.

The question wasn't what you paid for them....the question is whether they were really "limited to 10."

You, and I, have it on hearsay. "I heard from a guy who heard from a guy that they were limited to 10."

While that's certainly possible, it may not be very likely, especially considering printing technology and requirements of 1993. Even the "limited to X" books always have additional copies printed, to account for potential spoilage.

Maybe.

Your correct with the heresay and also about the way publishers print limited to X comics but those books are normally made to be distributed to the public. The red and blue 1/2 were in house test printing samples not made for the public. Used to pass around the office per say.

Wizard probably had these lying around when they decided to sell off the rest of the other 1/2's. I recall that website being well organized before it went down hill hard.

Black Ashcans you say?!? Do tell...

True story.

Maybe.

Your correct with the heresay and also about the way publishers print limited to X comics but those books are normally made to be distributed to the public. The red and blue 1/2 were in house test printing samples not made for the public. Used to pass around the office per say.

Wizard probably had these lying around when they decided to sell off the rest of the other 1/2's. I recall that website being well organized before it went down hill hard.