• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No more Foxing around: Complete run of WEIRD COMICS, 1940-1942!
1 1

154 posts in this topic

Weird Comics #3, June 1940. Cool cover by Joe Simon, who became the editor at Fox and was knocking out most of their covers at this point, with the help of other pulp and comic covers as swipe references for some of the figures. I like the very unusual color scheme on this one.

Thanks to Ryan Heshka for this copy!

f3rywo.jpg

Weird Comics #3, June 1940. Cool cover by Joe Simon, who became the editor at Fox and was knocking out most of their covers at this point, with the help of other pulp and comic covers as swipe references for some of the figures. I like the very unusual color scheme on this one.

Thanks to Ryan Heshka for this copy!

f3rywo.jpg

Hey Jon! looking forward to this WEIRD ride.

This was my last purchase EVER from David T. Alexander Collectibles. Back when I bought and kept things I really should have returned. :cry:

(thumbs u

Weird Comics #4, July 1940. If you were a kid who wanted some bondage and torture for your dime, Fox Comics was definitely your go-to publisher. This is another Joe Simon cover -- his take on the Sorceress of Zoom.

zkgvpy.jpg

Weird Comics #5, August 1940. Awesome mad scientist cover illustrating the Dr. Mortal feature. In every issue of Weird Comics, Dr. Mortal would kidnap a lovely young woman named Marlene for some kind of evil experiment, but her husband would rescue her at the last minute. (And making matters somewhat worse, Marlene is actually Dr. Mortal's niece. Awkward!)

141ut6c.jpg

Hey gang,

I'm very pleased to announce that this year, I finally finished my 20-issue run of Fox's Weird Comics. I just adore this wacky title, and it has taken me more than 8 years to finish the run.

Since I started collecting the series, the final issue with the great Hitler/Churchill cover has become well-known for how tough and costly it is, but most of the mid-to-late issues in the run are equally tough if not tougher -- even if I may well be the only one that's ever looked for some of them. lol

In this thread I'll post scans of all the covers (and some interior page odds and ends) in order of publication, and give a shout out to some boardies who helped along the way. And if you have some of these issues yourselves and are inclined to post them along in order, hey, feel free!

OK, let's see some Weirds!

congrats! I like the looks of these books.

Weird Comics #6, September 1940. Phasing out the weird menace covers, Fox goes all in with superhero covers, though the interior contents of Weird will now be a quirky mix of both genres.

First cover with The Dart and his sidekick The Ace... Robin was introduced in Detective Comics #38 cover dated April 1940, and throughout the summer superheroes across all companies are being given sidekicks left and right. The Weird covers start to get more formulaic around this point, but I really love these bright, flat colors that just scream 'early GA'.

dfycr7.jpg