• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
48 48

1,629 posts in this topic

What's the current consensus on the best scanner that is compatible with Mac OS 10.8.5?

I am also thinking of upgrading to OSX Yosemite. Are any of the scanners that one would recommend compatible with that upgrade?

I was about to pull the trigger on an HP8250 but saw that some were having problems with the Scanner and the OS.

*ahem* :whistle:

I have Mavericks (10.9.5) and the HP8250 and I can verify that it doesn't work natively. However it works fine with VueScan which isn't that expensive and will continue to be updated.

My situation as well. You need VueScan because HP apparently stopped updating the Mac drivers.

I've been messing with my new 8250. I'm having a bit of a problem with glare. I've tried to flip the slab around, but it doesn't seem to help. I've also tried it with both the top open and closed.

This is the best I've been able to do so far with the help from a few photoshop adjustments. Any tips, or is this the best I'm going to do? Thanks in advance! (thumbs u

X-Men94CGC8_zps55d820bd.jpg

I have the same scanner. Sometimes pressing gently on the slab while scanning helps but my experience is that you're unlikely to be able eliminate glare on most slabs.

I am convinced it is the inner well and how it sits in the slab.

You may well be right. Thick GA slabs are usually the worst for me.

Have you tried gentle pressure on the slab while scanning?

Not tried that yet.

What's the current consensus on the best scanner that is compatible with Mac OS 10.8.5?

I am also thinking of upgrading to OSX Yosemite. Are any of the scanners that one would recommend compatible with that upgrade?

I was about to pull the trigger on an HP8250 but saw that some were having problems with the Scanner and the OS.

I have Mavericks (10.9.5) and the HP8250 and I can verify that it doesn't work natively. However it works fine with VueScan which isn't that expensive and will continue to be updated.

My situation as well. You need VueScan because HP apparently stopped updating the Mac drivers.

I appreciate the responses. Is there anything at all out there that does a decent job with a mac straight out of the box?

I appreciate the responses. Is there anything at all out there that does a decent job with a mac straight out of the box?

Mac? hm A hammer comes to mind

Mac? hm A hammer comes to mind

Only for breaking Windows. :makepoint:

:grin:

Yes, my HP8250 no longer works after upgrading to Mavericks. My 8250 was locking up for some reason and creating this horrible sound when using VueScan. Yes, I know that sounds strange.

I'm using my Windows 7 laptop and just using MS Paint until I can find something better.

Very helpful thread. Just bought a HP 7410 all-in-one. Has CCD image technology. Almost made the mistake of buying a CIS image technology scanner. This should be exactly what I was looking for. Paid $115 for a used one on Ebay with cords, booklets, and install disc. Had nice pics of the glass flatbed (no scratches) and big enough to scan CGC slabs 8.5 X 14 glass bed. 3D image scanning capable. Didn't know some scanners will only really recognize what is touching the glass. Pays to do the research up front.

Thanks to all the useful contributors to this thread. Truly appreciated!

Not what you are asking ... but I just hooked up my HP 8250 to my new Mac with the Yosemite Sam OS and it works fine -- with VueScan.

My 8250 arrived...

Obviously the HP software does not work as was suggested by other Mac users on this forum.

So...

Vuescan Basic for $29.99 or

Vuescan Pro for $79.99 or

Exact Scan (In Mac Store) for $79.99

Exact Scan Pro (In Mac Store) for $129.99

Let me know here or PM... curious to see what people use.

I am using a Mac desktop OSX 10.8.5

Not sure if this will help, but if your lid to the scanner does not close all the way, try placing a dark cloth over the top to create complete darkness around the lid area to prevent light from getting in.

I just got my HP 7410 scanner in today from ebay and I downloaded the drivers online, then scanned my first slab. It came out similar to yours. I then threw a black winter coat over the entire top of my HP 7410 and it prevented any light from the room entering in through the sides, since the lid doesn't shut all the way.

I scanned several times after that and got excellent scans. Hope this helps. Worth a try.

Who told you the software doesn't work? Follow this link, that scanner should work in Mountain Lion no problem.

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03428470#c02917078_UpgradeToOsX10.7

Interesting. They must have begun offering updated drivers fairly recently. They weren't available when I bought my 8250 earlier this year.

Not sure if this will help, but if your lid to the scanner does not close all the way, try placing a dark cloth over the top to create complete darkness around the lid area to prevent light from getting in.

I just got my HP 7410 scanner in today from ebay and I downloaded the drivers online, then scanned my first slab. It came out similar to yours. I then threw a black winter coat over the entire top of my HP 7410 and it prevented any light from the room entering in through the sides, since the lid doesn't shut all the way.

I scanned several times after that and got excellent scans. Hope this helps. Worth a try.

Also interesting. I haven't tried this. I've tried just about everything else and haven't been able to improve scans of GA slabs much beyond what Buzz managed.

Others have reported that applying some light pressure to the slab while being scanned may reduce the glare.

Thoughts?

Going to bed... this is with the HP software.

AC33lower.jpg

Scan quality is nice! Books looks pretty good and has that typical glare, some of which can be reduced as noted in post above.

Others have reported that applying some light pressure to the slab while being scanned may reduce the glare.

I have tried this but it only seems to help a bit. Although maybe I'm not using the correct technique. (shrug)

The driver is definitely newer than when I was looking. I just bit the bullet and got vuescan (the lifetime one). As to the glare effects I very rarely seem to have that problem, and I'm not sure why. I just use it without pressure or anything other than the cover on it and looking through my slabs on myslabbedcomics.com I don't see too many with the glare.

The driver is definitely newer than when I was looking. I just bit the bullet and got vuescan (the lifetime one). As to the glare effects I very rarely seem to have that problem, and I'm not sure why. I just use it without pressure or anything other than the cover on it and looking through my slabs on myslabbedcomics.com I don't see too many with the glare.

It happens more with the Golden Age books since they are thicker and seem to flex more