• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,784 posts in this topic

And there are outlier data points which are anomalies that are not a good indication of where the book is currently valued. That Legends 3 CGC 9.8 copy sold as a BIN at $150. That isn't indicative of any correction on the book, the seller in all likelihood had the book priced too low and someone jumped on it.

And so, you apply the necessary statistical analysis to account for these, but they are still valid data points.

I heard gold has it's share of butthurt every now and then

It didn't used to be like this here sadly. This past year or two its shown up in all areas.

The water is chummed and the frenzy is in full effect.

That's not far from the truth. I mean really this used to be a good place to exchange information with your peers. Now its full of newer members with agenda's. Axes to grind among older members that even carry over from other comic sites from years back.

It gets old seeing the same members come in here and promote their books, website, manipulate data, or rumors. Many times they don't even use any factual data to support their information. It gets old. I am sure I am not the only one seeing it.

Ok...

I keep hearing this whole Outliers don't exist, single entry " data points" are important no matter what, malarkey.

Anyone here take college statistics classes?

That single data point, while an important part in obtaining the central tendencies of a data set, should not be taken as a direct indicator for any real change on its own.

Will it have an effect on the data set? Obviously, yes. While I agree the single data point normally should not be removed/ignored from any equation if you are doing honest math, I think a little common sense should kick in, especially when we are talking comics.

When you have a strong set of data values that are pretty consistent, and a single value is well below or above the current " norm" mean, median whatever you chose, usually something happened with that data point. Either a mistake in pricing, be it an accident or laziness in finding a proper price point, eagerness to accumulate quick capitol, or a possible increase in supply that someone could be hiding and trying to dump quickly, which would THEN change the data set significantly, over a short period of time. However, we do not know what's going on with that single sale and unless there are more sales similar to it, we cannot assume anything from that single data point other than it stands out, which makes it an outlier.

Naive interpretation of statistics derived from data sets that include outliers may be misleading. For example, if one is calculating the average temperature of 10 objects in a room, and nine of them are between 20 and 25 degrees Celsius, but an oven is at 175 °C, the median of the data will be between 20 and 25 °C but the mean temperature will be between 35.5 and 40 °C. In this case, the median better reflects the temperature of a randomly sampled object than the mean; naively interpreting the mean as "a typical sample", equivalent to the median, is incorrect. As illustrated in this case, outliers may be indicative of data points that belong to a different population than the rest of the sample set

In other words If you buy a Hulk 181 CGC 9.0 at a flea market for $100 when its mean or medium is well known to be around $1,200 then that sale is an OUTLIER.

It doesn't belong in the sample set of a " typical Hulk 181 cgc 9.0 sale"

It belongs in a different population which we could call the sample set of "wow, I got a great deal on a hulk 181 cgc 9.0 "

Please, stop saying outliers are not real and all sales should all be counted in the same sample. It's simply not true.

I will agree some people here use the word outlier too liberally.

I will also agree, that based on how many copies of Legends 3 are out there, it will most likely , in my opinion, correct itself downward. However, using a single data point to make the argument that its happening in major and swift way is just plain wrong.

:makepoint::rulez::foryou:

Edited by Silverdream

It didn't used to be like this here sadly. This past year or two its shown up in all areas.

No. it was much worse, should have been here back in 03 and 04. This place too well behaved now. Heck I used to have an avatar of naked women.

No. it was much worse, should have been here back in 03 and 04. This place too well behaved now. Heck I used to have an avatar of naked women.

Using 10 years ago as an example isn't very valid. Everywhere had problems like that back then.

The water is chummed and the frenzy is in full effect.

That's not far from the truth. I mean really this used to be a good place to exchange information with your peers. Now its full of newer members with agenda's. Axes to grind among older members that even carry over from other comic sites from years back.

It gets old seeing the same members come in here and promote their books, website, manipulate data, or rumors. Many times they don't even use any factual data to support their information. It gets old. I am sure I am not the only one seeing it.

:whistle:

-J.

If people wouldn't respond to the :baiting:, then it would just extinguish itself.

Can't keep a fire going if it doesn't have any fuel.

Problem is that people have a tendency to want to react to something that is said and it just goes on and on.....

The wild west. Yop.

If people wouldn't respond to the :baiting:, then it would just extinguish itself.

Problem is that people have a tendency to want to react to something that is said and it just goes on and on.....

(thumbs u :applause:

Edited by Manicalistic

This is true and I'm guilty of it as well.

On the other hand, it's an internet message board. A message board that is, compared to others I've been on, pretty tame and civil.

If people expect kumbaya on their message boards, they are barking up the wrong tree.

wow . . . so many words to say so little. :)

:banana:

One must explain things properly at times. I could have said something to the effect of " err dats not tru , outliers exist" but that would have hardly helped anyone, nor does it explain anything.

And there are outlier data points which are anomalies that are not a good indication of where the book is currently valued. That Legends 3 CGC 9.8 copy sold as a BIN at $150. That isn't indicative of any correction on the book, the seller in all likelihood had the book priced too low and someone jumped on it.

And so, you apply the necessary statistical analysis to account for these, but they are still valid data points.

Agreed, but when you make a broad statement that the market is "correcting itself" by using one instance, that is not a proper method of review.

The "market rate" would be considered an average of the whole, which that particular sale would be included in. But the sale 10 days ago for $400 would also be included in that range.

Agreed, but when you make a broad statement that the market is "correcting itself" by using one instance, that is not a proper method of review.

The "market rate" would be considered an average of the whole, which that particular sale would be included in. But the sale 10 days ago for $400 would also be included in that range.

Agree with both of you. (Write it down, because I don't see it happening again anytime soon. :baiting:lol )

I remember a Transformers message board I was on in the late 90s/Early 2000s and people were trying to arrange physical fights at Botcon by posting their own picture and saying things like "This is me. LET'S GO" in retaliation to people getting saucy on the forum.

Gold.