• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No more Foxing around: Complete run of WEIRD COMICS, 1940-1942!
1 1

154 posts in this topic

Hey gang,

I'm very pleased to announce that this year, I finally finished my 20-issue run of Fox's Weird Comics. I just adore this wacky title, and it has taken me more than 8 years to finish the run.

Since I started collecting the series, the final issue with the great Hitler/Churchill cover has become well-known for how tough and costly it is, but most of the mid-to-late issues in the run are equally tough if not tougher -- even if I may well be the only one that's ever looked for some of them. lol

In this thread I'll post scans of all the covers (and some interior page odds and ends) in order of publication, and give a shout out to some boardies who helped along the way. And if you have some of these issues yourselves and are inclined to post them along in order, hey, feel free!

OK, let's see some Weirds!

One of the neat things about the Weird Comics run is that the covers are like a microcosm of the early golden age... in less than two years it goes from 30s-pulp-style weird menace covers, to bold cheerful superhero covers, to the anti-Nazi war covers that would dominate comics for the first half of the 40s.

So let's kick things off with Weird Comics #1, April 1940, featuring this fabulous cover by George Tuska. Huge, huge thanks to Sharon for this copy!

2drat0j.jpg

Thanks guys. :hi:

Weird Comics #2, May 1940. Another pulp-style "weird menace" cover, this one attributed to Lou Fine. Really nice detailing and shading on the cover figures (don't get too used to it though). lol Great colors.

14tshmc.jpg

Hey gang,

I'm very pleased to announce that this year, I finally finished my 20-issue run of Fox's Weird Comics. I just adore this wacky title, and it has taken me more than 8 years to finish the run.

Since I started collecting the series, the final issue with the great Hitler/Churchill cover has become well-known for how tough and costly it is, but most of the mid-to-late issues in the run are equally tough if not tougher -- even if I may well be the only one that's ever looked for some of them. lol

In this thread I'll post scans of all the covers (and some interior page odds and ends) in order of publication, and give a shout out to some boardies who helped along the way. And if you have some of these issues yourselves and are inclined to post them along in order, hey, feel free!

OK, let's see some Weirds!

many hidden treasure in those comics. Not least of which is first appearance of *Golden Age" Thor)

many hidden treasure in those comics. Not least of which is first appearance of *Golden Age" Thor)

And that's a perfect segue, as here come a couple of interior splashes from Weird #2.

Wardrobe issues aside, does this guy look familiar to anyone? (shrug)

2dgkvty.jpg

Thanks guys. :hi:

Weird Comics #2, May 1940. Another pulp-style "weird menace" cover, this one attributed to Lou Fine. Really nice detailing and shading on the cover figures (don't get too used to it though). lol Great colors.

14tshmc.jpg

I am jealous. This is a very, VERY, tough book to find. I think I have seen one, maybe two copies for sale in years of looking.