• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,226 posts in this topic

#6 The Thing! 12

Finally! Right?

The most requested omission from my original Terrible 25 list four years ago is this one right here. Ditkos first cover and pretty brutal. I still think that his worm cover is his best but this is a close second. As with many covers from this title, the books title logo features neat artwork as well. I believe this was the last issue it would do that with.

Pretty scary characters in this Cinderella telling. The woman on the stairs with her arms up is terrifying. The story that goes with this is pretty cool as well and worth reading.

There's no denying The Thing #15 (worm) is a classic and a great Ditko cover, but #12 blows it out of the water. #15 looks like a typical 50s sci-fi Giant-Monster-on the-Loose or later Atlas pre-hero Giant Monster cover, while #12 screams pre-code nightmarish weirdness.

Here, here. Well said! :golfclap:

#6 The Thing! 12

Finally! Right?

The most requested omission from my original Terrible 25 list four years ago is this one right here. Ditkos first cover and pretty brutal. I still think that his worm cover is his best but this is a close second. As with many covers from this title, the books title logo features neat artwork as well. I believe this was the last issue it would do that with.

Pretty scary characters in this Cinderella telling. The woman on the stairs with her arms up is terrifying. The story that goes with this is pretty cool as well and worth reading.

There's no denying The Thing #15 (worm) is a classic and a great Ditko cover, but #12 blows it out of the water. #15 looks like a typical 50s sci-fi Giant-Monster-on the-Loose or later Atlas pre-hero Giant Monster cover, while #12 screams pre-code nightmarish weirdness.

Here, here. Well said! :golfclap:

Well reasoned Mr. Pontoon! They are close and both great covers. I also agree with your point of 12 having the nightmarish edge....but I wouldn't say "blows it out of the water."... More like bumps it softly with a Pontoon boat. :)

If I am saying 12 and 15 are equal, why give 15 an edge? Honestly, it's the evil woman's face on the left. Something about it seems flat...leaves me wanting more....I would overlook it, if it didn't take up such a huge part of the picture. Now go easy on me....it's just an opinion. This isn't an exact science. And Hey! It's still a killer cover. It made the top 6! :) :)

I would hate to think what would happen if I left 12 off the list. lol

I think it's awesome that this cover has so many fans. Good stuff.

Mr. Bedrock- Thanks for chiming in. The force is strong with you on one of those....

Mr Myst- :hi:

Satre- My oh my.....Where do you get these wonderful books? Time machine?

Jayman- Boo!

#5 Tales of Horror 8

How about a Toby book? One of the first precodes I bought and I am glad I did. I have never seen a nicer copy. VERY tough book. These Toby books also published the 3 issue series, Purple Claw and reprints some of those stories in here. They also recycled interior art for their covers like Superior. That is cheap and cheesy but I think that is the appeal with many of these...the cheese factor. So bad, its good. For some reason, this cover has always jumped out at me. Maybe it is the striking blood red background and a snake swaying open mouthed in the sky like some reptilian King Kong.

Anyway, not much more to say other thanI think this is a cover that would grab major attention if seen on a newstand.

TalesOfHorror8.gif

#4 Mystery Tales 19

Let us do our part and make this book reach even crazier prices. Tough book to get a hold of. Honestly, this was the book I needed to acquire to complete this list and wow did it take forever. I remember years ago I missed out on a VG copy on these boards for $75. As it was, I still feel like I did ok with this one. Glad to have it.

Like Menace and Venus, this Atlas book hails from a series that receives more attention than others for a variety of reasons. Mystery Tales has some great books in it including the issue seen on the excellent tv show LOST.

My favorite version of this title has the blood dripping on top of the letters. And just look at that zombie! SO well drawn. The graveyard, sky and lighting really make this one a quick-to-add-to-the-wantlist book.

MysteryTales19.gif

#3 Frankenstein 18

The first horror issue in the series and the best cover in my opinion.

Look at that grotesque floating head in the middle of the cover! Open scars, car crashes, billowing smoke and no blabby text boxes. Just a simple title and excellent layout. Even the poses of the figures are great. Such a great Precode.

Frank18.gif

#2 Voodoo Annual

Oh yeah, here we go!

Good Precode covers are creepy and weird and this one has got both. Jet black background, Laughing and jeering corpses, and a sick gag coming out of the coffin adds up to one messed up Ajax Precode cover. :sick: And it rules!

The best part of this cover though is the mans face. His hand clutching his eye sockets and pulling them...is he pulling so hard, he is bending or pulling his face as if it was made of warm clay? I do not know but the distortion makes for an unsettling and wild ride.

Voodoo-Annual-1.gif

1 Haunt Of Fear 18

How can I assemble a precode list without my favorite horror comic artist? The greatest and sickest of them all...Mr. Ghastly Ingels!

My oh my. Where to start.....If I had to redo the Terrible 25, I think I would have to put this one in there. Every time I look at this cover, I see something else going on. I also am unclear about everything happening in this picture and I do not care. I do not need to know..... I am happy just basking in the glow of the drawing and artwork,

As I stare at this cover, I am baffled by how something so grotesque and twisted could also be SO SO beautiful. Perhaps it is my love of the craft, and of making pictures myself but it looks like the artist had a blast with this one.

That pose and head tilt on the old witch is just so perfect...and the strange colors on her face.....the green behind the title.......

....man.....

...I love comics.

hof18.gif

#5 Tales of Horror 8

How about a Toby book? One of the first precodes I bought and I am glad I did. I have never seen a nicer copy. VERY tough book. These Toby books also published the 3 issue series, Purple Claw and reprints some of those stories in here. They also recycled interior art for their covers like Superior. That is cheap and cheesy but I think that is the appeal with many of these...the cheese factor. So bad, its good. For some reason, this cover has always jumped out at me. Maybe it is the striking blood red background and a snake swaying open mouthed in the sky like some reptilian King Kong.

Anyway, not much more to say other thanI think this is a cover that would grab major attention if seen on a newstand.

TalesOfHorror8.gif

Great choice on this one as it been on my radar for quite a while now. Very iconic cover and did you look close and notice the ever so tiny ant sized victims falling from the snakes mouth. A very tough book to find in HG and I'm still searching...