• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
37 37

12,725 posts in this topic

In 1987, I first walked into a comic book store and was instantly hooked. I went straight to DC, and picked up the #1 issues of Green Arrow, Spectre, and Suicide Squad along with the start of Batman's New Adventures on issue 408. A couple months later, the Millennium cross-over event happened, and I was blown away. Not the greatest cross-over of all time for sure, but my first big comic event. I saw the interlocking covers between Captain Atom, Detective, Spectre and Suicide Squad, and thought they were the coolest thing. In retrospect, it makes sense that I loved them as they were done by Jerry Bingham, the Batman: Son of the Demon artist on whose work I absolutely drooled over page after page. I don't know of an earlier set of interlocking covers, so this might have been the first of its kind...

The last couple years as an OA collector, these were the covers I was holding out as my personal grail. I contacted Jerry, who said he had sold them as a set in 1989. And that was where the trail went cold. No results from Where are they now?... On a random scan of the CAF listing of ebay items, I almost fell off my chair on seeing all four covers for sale. But the link was dead; the seller pulled them once he realized they were likely going to be broken up. I contacted him separately, and several agonizing months later and multiple assurances of never breaking up the group, we got to a happy place. In a quirk of fate, they arrived on my birthday.

I notified Jerry who was excited to see them again after all these years. Jerry and I almost grew up in the same neighborhood in the South Side of Chicago, and we've maintained contact during my (until now, fruitless) search. Having that extra connection makes owning these that much cooler.

IMG_0060_2_zps7de90186.jpg

Here is the CAF link for each of the pages: Millennium interlocking Bingham covers (1988)

In 1987, I first walked into a comic book store and was instantly hooked. I went straight to DC, and picked up the #1 issues of Green Arrow, Spectre, and Suicide Squad along with the start of Batman's New Adventures on issue 408. A couple months later, the Millennium cross-over event happened, and I was blown away. Not the greatest cross-over of all time for sure, but my first big comic event. I saw the interlocking covers between Captain Atom, Detective, Spectre and Suicide Squad, and thought they were the coolest thing. In retrospect, it makes sense that I loved them as they were done by Jerry Bingham, the Batman: Son of the Demon artist on whose work I absolutely drooled over page after page. I don't know of an earlier set of interlocking covers, so this might have been the first of its kind...

The last couple years as an OA collector, these were the covers I was holding out as my personal grail. I contacted Jerry, who said he had sold them as a set in 1989. And that was where the trail went cold. No results from Where are they now?... On a random scan of the CAF listing of ebay items, I almost fell off my chair on seeing all four covers for sale. But the link was dead; the seller pulled them once he realized they were likely going to be broken up. I contacted him separately, and several agonizing months later and multiple assurances of never breaking up the group, we got to a happy place. In a quirk of fate, they arrived on my birthday.

I notified Jerry who was excited to see them again after all these years. Jerry and I almost grew up in the same neighborhood in the South Side of Chicago, and we've maintained contact during my (until now, fruitless) search. Having that extra connection makes owning these that much cooler.

IMG_0060_2_zps7de90186.jpg

Here is the CAF link for each of the pages: Millennium interlocking Bingham covers (1988)

[font:Book Antiqua]Well done Sir,

this is an AMAZING SET..![/font]

:golfclap:

I got to the Santa Fe Comic Con about 3 hours after it opened on Saturday and walked into artists alley first thing. The first table I came to was Steranko's. There wasn't a single person standing at his table so I walked right up and introduced myself. For the next half hour we talked about comics, jazz, how to stay in shape as we get older and other various topics.

He's a very eccentric and fascinating man. I'll never forget it.

I also got a sketch from him but haven't had time to scan it yet:

steranko.jpg

First time I post on this topic, so it will be more about "This month in your ORIGINAL ART collection". October has been a REALLY active month. I'm still hiding from my banker smsc045.gif . As you'll see, I'm more interested into "modern" US comics. Thanks to some guys from this forum for accepting to part with great artworks! It's always a pleasure to deal with US/Canadian collectors.

- a Sandman page, a dream come true

- two pages from The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

- a few Walking Dead pages

- a few Sean Gordon Murphy pages ... I really like his work

- a few Risso pages

Sorry but for now these pages are only uploaded on my 2DG gallery with descriptions in French. I'm desperately trying to educate French collectors on US stuff. You know how chauvinistic we are :grin: (and how bad in English as well so apologies). But this site is also available in English, so feel free to create an account and leave a few comments if you like! Hope you'll enjoy as much as I do :)

My 2DG gallery (US section) ... and a few samples:

jones-the-sandman-season-of-mists-2n78.jpgo-neill-the-league-of-extraordinary-gentlemen-2-2nrm.jpgo-neill-the-league-of-extraordinary-gentlemen-2-2rz7.jpgadlard-walking-dead-14-2nge.jpgadlard-tha-walking-dead-2t1j.jpgx-2rgx.jpgxx-2zxb.jpg

Here's another Valentino Guardians of the Galaxy cover:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1173180

meh. You seen 100 GotG covers in Bill's CAF, you seen 101. :P

I just don't want to see 102 - I want the next one. I'm happy to at least have a Valentino page on the way to me, next up on the want list is definitely a cover.

Here are some new paintings I bought this week.

A painting by Norem for Male magazine

IMG_0578_zps0d511ff0.jpg

A beautiful early painting by Norem from an unknown men's magazine. Definite keeper here.

IMG_0575_zps4a3235f7.jpg

Finally the cover to Battle Cry from June 1956 from Milton Luros whom is well known for his pulp covers

IMG_0572_zps8a32e3b5.jpg

Time to add my latest finds to CAF. Gotta say, it's been a pretty nice art year. Not a lot of stuff, but definitely some blockbusters.

1949 Gordo strip

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1175122&GSub=161761

Jack Davis Dracula cartoon

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1175123&GSub=161762

Johnny Craig Eerie 12 wash page

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1175125&GSub=161763

Al Williamson Jann of the Jungle page

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1175126&GSub=105525

Joe Kubert - Brave & Bold 34, page 3. Yep, kids, this is the first ever appearance of Katar and Shayera Hol. Not in costume yet for another page, but a first is a first! And beautiful prime-period Kubert art to boot!

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1175127&GSub=122939

And the icing on the cake (for me). The first Justice Society appearance in JLA #21. Two months after they were reintroduced to a new generation of comic fans, the JSA begins a near quarter-century tradition of annual appearances that DC geeks like me looked forward to. Page two of the comic, it features the first ever Silver Age appearance of Black Canary, Dr. Fate and Hourman, along with an iconic JLA group shot!

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1175131&GSub=161765

Those last two pieces probably take me out of the running on that fantastic upcoming Heritage auction, but I'm okay with that.

Thanks for lookin'