• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,226 posts in this topic

I know... Truth is I have another list Ive been working on for years that covers the best crime covers and that is where that one goes. I agree. It's a great book.

Lots more goodies to come.

Well stop reading all those Swamp Thing issues and get crackin'! :baiting:

Ps: did I guess any upcoming issues on your list? :shy:

None of those are on the list. :( I will say that the three Atlas books you mentioned were very strongly considered.....runners up if you will.

However, someone else guessed a book.....

Swamp Thing...I have been so busy I have read a total of 5 issues so far :P

Looking to speed things up this week though. We need to have another chat again soon. Ill send ya a PM.

Christian- fantastic books! Gotta be Suspense 14- Heath's greatest precode horror cover not to mention it's a designated classic hypodermic cover (greatest horror double hypo cover imho).

#13 Menace 1

Menace is a great short run of books all filled with great stories. Many collectors have said Menace features some of the best of Atlas horror, and I agree. Many of these issues are tough to find in any shape. It took me YEARS to put a full run of these together. This past summer though, I sold them all except this one here, my favorite. The art is fantastic...That double portrait in the foreground just sells this thing. I also like the three extra previews running along the bottom instead of the side here.

menace1-1.gif

Killer selection! This one must have jumped off the racks, especially with the giant double head on the left. I'm with you, as I prefer the 3 previews at the bottom as it allows for a larger cover image. Sadly I bet the moved them due to how retaillers often stacked comics & magazines with the spine showing.

Another Everett masterpiece strikes again! :)

#10 Chilling Tales 15

Another Chilling Tales kicks off the list today. And someone guessed this one a few posts back. Well done sir!

Matt Fox finally makes an appearance. I gotta be totally honest and say he is not my one of my favorites. He is sort of the folk artist of precode horror. That said, he has a fresh and unique style and an inventive and playful approach to these pictures. This cover is his best from his mini run on this series. It has never been clear whether the man is about to be hanged or he has already been hung...I think he has already been killed and this is what was waiting for him on the other side. Pretty scary stuff. I love the sky and three creatures. I guess there are mushrooms in the afterlife and how about those hand trees in the background? Pretty trippy stuff!

ChillingTales15.gif

#9 Beware 10

One word: Frazetta

Nuff said!

....but I will blab a bit more.. I read in Tales Too Terrible TooTell years ago that this was Frazettas only horror comic cover he ever worked on....(if you do not count the Warren mags, because those are technically mags...On a side note, arent those thing great? Frazetta and other artists painted some really sweet covers for Creepy and Eerie)...Anyway, apparently this piece was a bit of a duet as Frazetta worked with Sid Check on this as well. It doe not take much to tell that Frazetta drew that girl Not sure about the rest of it. Perhaps another boardie could chime in if they know more.

The girl framed by the yellow moon is great and this issue has a nice neck breaking story inside. Considered by many a Precode Key and with good reason.

Beware10.gif

#8 Spook 27

What is a top precode cover list without one form the master, LB Cole?

His Startling Terror 11 topped out at #1 on my first list. There are many LB Cole covers out there but I believe this is his second best. As usual, amazing composition and drawing ability on display here. Color wise, the floating red head pops against that green. The longer you look, the more you see. From the strange faces, to the doomed man hanging above a ship, and even to the simple swirl designs in the green sea....this cover simply rocks. :headbang:

Spook27.gif

#7 Weird Mysteries 2

It is ok to feel sorry for issue #2 of Weird Mysteries. This book has always had to look up to its more famous brothers, Weird Mysteries 5 and 4. Still, this one does get a lot of love on here with many boardies showing off excellent copies. It is all about the floating heads spilling from the cauldron and the wonderful purples and yellow greens. Great precode faces!

WM2.gif

#6 The Thing! 12

Finally! Right?

The most requested omission from my original Terrible 25 list four years ago is this one right here. Ditkos first cover and pretty brutal. I still think that his worm cover is his best but this is a close second. As with many covers from this title, the books title logo features neat artwork as well. I believe this was the last issue it would do that with.

Pretty scary characters in this Cinderella telling. The woman on the stairs with her arms up is terrifying. The story that goes with this is pretty cool as well and worth reading.

Thing12.gif

And that is Day 4! :)

Any ideas on the final 5? How about a hint or two....

There will be an EC, a Prize, an Atlas, and an Ajax book in there. :)

Guess away fellow Precoders!

I might try to post the books at midnight tonight or it will be late on halloween night itself.

Wall-Day4.gif

#10 Chilling Tales 15

It has never been clear whether the man is about to be hanged or he has already been hung...I think he has already been killed and this is what was waiting for him on the other side. Pretty scary stuff. I love the sky and three creatures.

ChillingTales15.gif

I'm enjoying your contributions!

May I suggest however, that the man is about to be killed; horror is all about what is going to happen. I think the character in front, with the shovel, is there to dig a grave, and the one in the middle, with a book, might be giving "last rites".

Umm, and there are four creatures...:wink:

And that is Day 4! :)

Any ideas on the final 5? How about a hint or two....

There will be an EC, a Prize, an Atlas, and an Ajax book in there. :)

Guess away fellow Precoders!

I might try to post the books at midnight tonight or it will be late on halloween night itself.

Wall-Day4.gif

Strange Fantasy 2 or 9?

Suspense 14?

Fully penciled by Frazetta as a favor to Sid Check who then inked it.

#9 Beware 10

One word: Frazetta

Nuff said!

....but I will blab a bit more.. I read in Tales Too Terrible TooTell years ago that this was Frazettas only horror comic cover he ever worked on....(if you do not count the Warren mags, because those are technically mags...On a side note, arent those thing great? Frazetta and other artists painted some really sweet covers for Creepy and Eerie)...Anyway, apparently this piece was a bit of a duet as Frazetta worked with Sid Check on this as well. It doe not take much to tell that Frazetta drew that girl Not sure about the rest of it. Perhaps another boardie could chime in if they know more.

The girl framed by the yellow moon is great and this issue has a nice neck breaking story inside. Considered by many a Precode Key and with good reason.

Beware10.gif

Crime Suspense 22, Black Cat 50 or Tomb of Terror 15, Punch Comics 12,

Haunted Thrills 5, Chamber of Chills 23

Some of those classics were on my previous top 25 list...

Wall-Day5.jpg

this is a new list....it is a little confusing. Maybe I should renumber this new list 26-50....

No CSS 22, or Dynamic since those are precode crime, not horror. They will be part of a future list of wild crime covers. :)

Jayman, not 24.....but....

Great lists so far, Christian. I've had fun following along.

Witchcraft 5 hasn't been mentioned yet. I love Haunt of Fear 18. And I know it is a little more sci-fi, but Ghostly Weird 122 is an all-time great.

this is a new list....it is a little confusing. Maybe I should renumber this new list 26-50....

No CSS 22, or Dynamic since those are precode crime, not horror. They will be part of a future list of wild crime covers. :)

Jayman, not 24.....but....

:frustrated: Quotes classic line from Dirty Harry: "But I gots ta know!"

I'm staying up till midnight mischief nite! :sumo:

#6 The Thing! 12

Finally! Right?

The most requested omission from my original Terrible 25 list four years ago is this one right here. Ditkos first cover and pretty brutal. I still think that his worm cover is his best but this is a close second. As with many covers from this title, the books title logo features neat artwork as well. I believe this was the last issue it would do that with.

Pretty scary characters in this Cinderella telling. The woman on the stairs with her arms up is terrifying. The story that goes with this is pretty cool as well and worth reading.

There's no denying The Thing #15 (worm) is a classic and a great Ditko cover, but #12 blows it out of the water. #15 looks like a typical 50s sci-fi Giant-Monster-on the-Loose or later Atlas pre-hero Giant Monster cover, while #12 screams pre-code nightmarish weirdness.