• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Stamps/Bonds/Loans covers - let's see 'em
3 3

226 posts in this topic

Here's a unique set of collector's items:

Dell_bonds_cover_proofs_group.thumb.jpg.0cbd68233d6d52a37d5acf7719e8335c.jpg

I bought the covers on eBay as 'discarded cover prints' from the Dell archives. In fact, I'm pretty sure they are proof copies of the covers to the July 1944 war bonds drive issues of Dell comics. The printer's registration marks in the margins suggest that they were never intended to be a final product.

Here's the front and back of the Looney Tunes #33 cover:

LT_33_cover_proof_exterior.thumb.jpg.6cebfa0a26902f3dc469d24fb18b97e3.jpg

LT_33_cover_proof_interior.thumb.jpg.67e605f1eb4666e95a256b9e82b789d5.jpg

You can see a close up of the Disney cover here.

5acdffcdd1495_WDCS_46_cover.JPG.08c60cf3286750556e59233b9d7c66ca.JPG

Dell_bonds_cover_proofs_group_zps63a4c81e.jpg

I bought the covers on eBay as 'discarded cover prints' from the Dell archives. In fact, I'm pretty sure they are proof copies of the covers to the July 1944 war bonds drive issues of Dell comics. The printer's registration marks in the margins suggest that they were never intended to be a final product.

LT_33_cover_proof_exterior_zps2994d7aa.jpg

LT_33_cover_proof_interior_zpsf79937fd.jpg

You can see some close up scans of the Disney cover here.

Wow! Really sweet.

yeh b*tchin aint it? Schomburg's other job in between drawing funny books...and other pulps...and paperbacks

To turn out that volume of work, I think he must have been like Baker -- a guy who almost never slept!

Dell_bonds_cover_proofs_group_zps63a4c81e.jpg

LT_33_cover_proof_exterior_zps2994d7aa.jpg

LT_33_cover_proof_interior_zpsf79937fd.jpg

You can see some close up scans of the Disney cover here.

Wow! Really sweet.

Agreed.

Forgot to post this one. This has to be the war bonds comic collector's dream - every page has a different cartoon strip/character extolling the virtues of buying bonds. :cloud9:

large.War_Victory_nn.jpg.9915cc5c2ceee3900e12b8e7690612bb.jpg

zWar_Victory_p28.thumb.jpg.1c711aef28057bd0926154a434cb778b.jpg

Some of the content verges on unreadably purple prose... especially if you read WWII history and understand the true nature of MacArthur and his contributions:

zWar_Victory_p29.thumb.jpg.b39e9fd8a345bd69a5f228c24dfcb38e.jpg

I was curious how much bonds were worth. A quick google search said:

"A US $500.00 war bond from WWII has a redmption value of $2,230.00. They can only be redeemed by the registered owner or that person's heirs if the registered owner is dead. There is a collectors market for WWII War Bonds and those who are not registered owners or the heirs of the registered owner may be able to sell to a collector. "

Forgot to post this one. This has to be the war bonds comic collector's dream - every page has a different cartoon strip/character extolling the virtues of buying bonds. :cloud9:

Some of the content verges on unreadably purple prose... especially if you read WWII history and understand the true nature of MacArthur and his contributions:

War_Victory_p29_zps33f01269.jpg

The purple prose comes to the reader courtesy Mrs "Time" magazine.

This has been a surprisingly tough book to run to ground. Even tougher is #6, also a bonds cover, but I haven't seen one for sale in years.

Funny_Animals_20_zps4ffb4b9b.jpg

Now see for me, it's been the opposite. This one has eluded me for awhile. I have a no.6(sold to me as a Crowley Copy, if I can dig it up, I'll post it). Great Funny animal war book. Thanks for posting! (thumbs u