• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 227 the "key" Neal Adams Batman book to have?
4 4

2,411 posts in this topic

Does the #1 registry set of Batmans coming up later this month on Clink belong to anyone here? If yes, very nice books! (worship)

Noticed that too. All those 9.8s made my head swim.

Yep, those are all mine.

My collecting focus the last five years was to get 100% of the Bronze Batman run in the highest possible grade, and it was a difficult (and expensive) endeavor that I truly enjoyed. But recently my wife went to our coat closet to put the winter coats in from storage, and nothing could get in with all the CGC boxes.

A couple of long discussions about apartment living and space constraints, and the decision was made to auction the Bats off (and my Spectre run too).

Rather than trickle them out, ComicLink and I felt that making a bit of a splash with the whole lot would be more compelling. And ComicLink are happy to arrange time payments or offset with consignments if you want to go after multiple (or all!) books.

The 201-253 run is going in for the November Focused auction starting Nov 19th. That's got the Adams 9.8s like 222, 227, 232, 234, and 251 (and the 9.4 #238 which is one of the three highest and impossible to find), among all the other magnificent books in the run. The 251 is absolutely perfectly centered, and I really considered keeping that one...

The 254 -300 run is in the October auction starting Oct 16th, which doesn't have any Adams but is equally brutal to find in high grade. Also starting Oct 16th, there are a bunch of 9.8 books in the 300's, and a couple 9.8s in the 400's like Death in the Family, Year One, and Ten Nights of the Beast.

So bid early and often, and I hope a bunch of boardies here pick up the majority.

Bob

Congrats on the great run, Bob, and I am sorry you have to let them go. :sorry:

In the past, whenever my wife would get on me re: the space my collection (not the stuff I buy to resell) takes up, I would kindly remind her about all of the shoes and clothes she bought that she never/rarely wears. Those were the only conversations I have had with her that ended with a W for me. After one or two times she did not comment anymore. lol

The 254 -300 run is in the October auction starting Oct 16th, which doesn't have any Adams but is equally brutal to find in high grade. Also starting Oct 16th, there are a bunch of 9.8 books in the 300's, and a couple 9.8s in the 400's like Death in the Family, Year One, and Ten Nights of the Beast.

Bob

Actually, there's *one*. What's the grade on #255? I need an upgrade from mine and the wife hates me right now anyway :)

Between tomorrow night (10/28) and Thursday night (10/30), there is an almost complete run from Batman #254-300 at auction at Comiclink. Almost all of those are 9.8 and its a great opportunity to pick up the best examples throughout that run.

Since they are mine, I'll share that there was some real debate on whether to space this out over multiple months, or drop a big pile of them at the same time. At the end of the day, I went with doing this section of the run in the October auction, and my near-complete high-grade #201-253 run in the November auction.

The trickiness in this approach is that sequential auctions like this are spaced like every 20 seconds (the higher priced auctions are spaced out a little more between lots), so if you're going to bid, its pretty difficult to time it right to the end. The unofficial Chicago motto of "Vote early and vote often" applies here for sure.

Good luck! Hope they find home with boardies... -Bob

Between tomorrow night (10/28) and Thursday night (10/30), there is an almost complete run from Batman #254-300 at auction at Comiclink. Almost all of those are 9.8 and its a great opportunity to pick up the best examples throughout that run.

Since they are mine, I'll share that there was some real debate on whether to space this out over multiple months, or drop a big pile of them at the same time. At the end of the day, I went with doing this section of the run in the October auction, and my near-complete high-grade #201-253 run in the November auction.

The trickiness in this approach is that sequential auctions like this are spaced like every 20 seconds (the higher priced auctions are spaced out a little more between lots), so if you're going to bid, its pretty difficult to time it right to the end. The unofficial Chicago motto of "Vote early and vote often" applies here for sure.

Good luck! Hope they find home with boardies... -Bob

You have a really great collection of OA.

The story in this book is massively underrated, imo. It fits with the cover perfectly.

It's a classic, gothic Batman story that wouldn't have felt out of place in the pre-Robins.

I was just re-reading the Batman's Strangest Cases treasury which has it. So great to read it in the larger size. This was a real homage to the tone and feel of the early Tecs.