• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whitman Gold Key variant appreciation thread.

57 posts in this topic

He has quit the e-mail because for some reason he sent me an e-mail asking ME to loan him 1500 dollars. He said if I did not loan him money all dealings would be over between us. I was like YES that will be great. Thanks for the congrats everyone! He will never catch me as Doug has 25 higher grade books on hold for me.

That is great news! It's a wonderful, rare set, and well worth the hunt.

Anyone can buy Spidey...just takes money.

But this...now THIS is a challenge.

Not trying to be a downer here, I just try to be realistic.

Obviously what you say is true about the rarity and difficulty of getting a nice set like this.

The problem I see here is, it actually IS just like throwing gobs of money at Spidey in this situation.

Throw out huge $$$ for a black hole 4 in 9.8 and you are golden, and then...

The man who has collected some of the rarest comics in history is slow selling HG upgrades to one person who is willing to put up the cash, while locking anyone else out of those books as part of the agreement.

I'm just not that impressed with this.

I give it a big :eyeroll:

I am sorry that you do not agree with Doug selling me HG Whitmans. He has a right to sell his books to any one he chooses to sell them to and that person is me. I have been a great customer of his for over 15 years and he is showing loyalty to me. That is what business men do. I am paying him high dollar for the books and he appreciates my business. I have one seller on ebay who sends books to me even before I pay for them because he appreciates a good customer also. It is just business. As far as ever receiving even one third of the money I have spent on my set back that will be impossible. Comics are not investments anymore in the USA economy that I live in. Maybe that is why he sells them to me. No one else will pay over guide prices for my books. I spent over 6000 dollars on the Black hole you mentioned and who else would do that but me. It is merely a hobby for me not an investment. I do not see ever selling before I die and I am 58 years old I think I am just happy to fill this set and it is my hobby so what is wrong with having sellers who cater to me?

When I was a little boy, I used to ride my bike every Tuesday afternoon to Sterling's Variety, where the owner had carefully set all the week's new comics behind the counter. He allowed me behind the counter to go through these books before he set them out for everyone else.

Every one of us cultivates contacts like that - a dealer who sets aside variants for us, or who holds back issues aside to allow us first crack because he knows we'll like a certain book. If mttemp has that kind of relationship with Doug Sulipa - one of the most knowledgable and professional dealers in our industry - then kudos to her.

I love Whitmans, and I have about 1/2 the books that mttemp does, though mostly in lower grades. She has built networks and contacts and collecting channels to assemble an amazing collection that is unparalleled in our hobby. We should applaud the accomplishment.

When I was a little boy, I used to ride my bike every Tuesday afternoon to Sterling's Variety, where the owner had carefully set all the week's new comics behind the counter. He allowed me behind the counter to go through these books before he set them out for everyone else.

Every one of us cultivates contacts like that - a dealer who sets aside variants for us, or who holds back issues aside to allow us first crack because he knows we'll like a certain book. If mttemp has that kind of relationship with Doug Sulipa - one of the most knowledgable and professional dealers in our industry - then kudos to her.

I love Whitmans, and I have about 1/2 the books that mttemp does, though mostly in lower grades. She has built networks and contacts and collecting channels to assemble an amazing collection that is unparalleled in our hobby. We should applaud the accomplishment.

I concur good buddy! (thumbs u Bonnie has worked very hard on compiling such an astounding collection! :golf clap:

Some like superheroes, underground etc. (shrug) Her forte' is Whitman's and having those type of networks is always an added bonus in any business venture. :headbang:

Obviously what you say is true about the rarity and difficulty of getting a nice set like this.

The problem I see here is, it actually IS just like throwing gobs of money at Spidey in this situation.

The man who has collected some of the rarest comics in history is slow selling HG upgrades to one person who is willing to put up the cash, while locking anyone else out of those books as part of the agreement.

sour-grapes.jpg

Hate to say it but this is life. I used to get really annoyed about dealers who allow other dealers to go through con stock before the public gets a shot at it when the doors open.

You may not like it but it's not going to change. Stuff like this has been going on in the collectibles fields for decades.

I do not think this is understood. Doug is helping me complete and up grade my set. My competitor . Does not have money nor would he pay proper money for the books. He has stiffed Doug for money in the past that is why Doug is selling books to me because I am a good customer.

Doug and I are working with CGC to open up a Whitman set for the .75 cent price very rare books that I have.

It is not bad business to help me complete my set it is just fair as I have always been a good customer. Besides I am spending at least 1200 month to get the books he has it is not like he is holding them for ever.

Edited by mttemp

sour-grapes.jpg

Hate to say it but this is life. I used to get really annoyed about dealers who allow other dealers to go through con stock before the public gets a shot at it when the doors open.

You may not like it but it's not going to change. Stuff like this has been going on in the collectibles fields for decades.

I normally don't respond to Silverdream, but since you did, I'll add my two cents: what he doesn't understand is that, no, you cannot just "throw money" and make a 9.8 set of the 3-packs, because most of them don't exist in 9.8. Most of them don't exist in 9.6. Some of them are represented by 5-10-15 known copies, in all grades.

The same cannot be said of the same era of Spiderman, ALL of which are represented by 9.8s, in multiples. There isn't a single regular Amazing Spiderman issue that exists that has less than 1,000 copies extant. Not a single one. And that number is likely actually 10,000+.

So, no, it actually is NOT like "throwing gobs of money at Spidey." So she's buying Doug Sulipa's set...so? What if there's one that Doug doesn't have? What if someone else DOES, and they're not selling? Or, simply, what if the book doesn't exist in the grade sought?

All the money in the world won't resolve that problem.

And, if you want access to particular stock, the answer is simple: put up the money. If you won't, or can't, oh well. I can't. More power to Bonnie that she can, and will. Good for her. I sold her one of the books for her set, and I was happy to do it.

I am sorry that you do not agree with Doug selling me HG Whitmans. He has a right to sell his books to any one he chooses to sell them to and that person is me. I have been a great customer of his for over 15 years and he is showing loyalty to me. That is what business men do. I am paying him high dollar for the books and he appreciates my business. I have one seller on ebay who sends books to me even before I pay for them because he appreciates a good customer also. It is just business. As far as ever receiving even one third of the money I have spent on my set back that will be impossible. Comics are not investments anymore in the USA economy that I live in. Maybe that is why he sells them to me. No one else will pay over guide prices for my books. I spent over 6000 dollars on the Black hole you mentioned and who else would do that but me. It is merely a hobby for me not an investment. I do not see ever selling before I die and I am 58 years old I think I am just happy to fill this set and it is my hobby so what is wrong with having sellers who cater to me?

I never said there was anything wrong with Doug selling you the books, I was simply saying I was not all that impressed with the :acclaim: about it. If you had scoured the earth for a decade building this high grade set, finding many copies raw, ebay copies in mixed lots and such, I would be much more excited for you. It's a cool set, congratulations on it, and I mean that sincerely. I love these variants.

I normally don't respond to Silverdream, but since you did, I'll add my two cents: what he doesn't understand is that, no, you cannot just "throw money" and make a 9.8 set of the 3-packs, because most of them don't exist in 9.8. Most of them don't exist in 9.6. Some of them are represented by 5-10-15 known copies, in all grades.

The same cannot be said of the same era of Spiderman, ALL of which are represented by 9.8s, in multiples. There isn't a single regular Amazing Spiderman issue that exists that has less than 1,000 copies extant. Not a single one. And that number is likely actually 10,000+.

Nobody said anything about "a set of 9.8's" until you just mentioned it. This is about the best overall set of Whitman 3-pack variants. This is about the best available ( known) copies. I completely understand that many of these copies don't exist in 9.8/9.6. I also know how many copies are thought to exist. Thanks for trying to make me out to be ignorant. I assure you I am far from it.

Spiderman 9.8's don't matter in your analogy, because many of those 9.8 Spiderman books are not highest in grade. This conversation is about the best set of Whitman variants, so if you want to make a fair comparison, start talking 9.9/10.0's of the ASM set. That would make more sense. SMH

So, no, it actually is NOT like "throwing gobs of money at Spidey." So she's buying Doug Sulipa's set...so? What if there's one that Doug doesn't have? What if someone else DOES, and they're not selling? Or, simply, what if the book doesn't exist in the grade sought?

All the money in the world won't resolve that problem.

It IS like throwing money at ASM or any other set of comics for that matter. If you can put up the money to buy the best, then you win, regardless if its a CGC 9.2 of the highest grade Whitman variant, or a cgc 9.9 of the highest grade ASM issue. You get more points than anyone else.

I don't have a problem with her buying Doug's set. I'm just not all that impressed with it. The chase is half the fun for me, and when you have half the books lined up already, it just doesn't impress me as much. Is that ok with you? Can I have an opinion for myself ? Doug earned to make some money off of these books after chasing them all for so long. It's not about him.

Her set isn't even complete and she has the # 1 set. Not being able to get any particular copy doesn't seem to have hurt her. The fact is, she had enough money to throw at this set, to gain # 1 status, in a very short time frame. That's what this conversation is about, and if there is one thing that is not being understood in this thread, it would be that.

And, if you want access to particular stock, the answer is simple: put up the money. If you won't, or can't, oh well. I can't. More power to Bonnie that she can, and will. Good for her. I sold her one of the books for her set, and I was happy to do it.

She could She did, and She got the # 1 set with her money. My point proven. Just like anyone else throwing enough money out there for funny books, you will get what you want sooner or later if you have enough greenbacks.

Again, this all boils down to me personally not being impressed with it, and people having a problem with my opinion. I love the set, I am just not that impressed with how it was procured.

Anyone can hire a professional lawn crew to make their yard look pretty. If I had to say which I was more impressed with between two identical yards side by side ,and one person did most of that yard work themselves, hands on, I would be more impressed with that one. That doesn't mean the lawn taken care of by a hired crew looks bad. Is it really so hard to understand where i'm coming from?

Edited by Silverdream