• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,395 posts in this topic

Oh dear God, there was a "Barbie and Ken" comic book?

That will send anyone screaming back into the arms of the Golden Age.

Someone saw the photo gallery on my website and emailed this pic to me. Looks like most of the books are from August and September, 1962.

newsstandcolor_zps5d439519.jpg[/url]

What TTA is that?!

Looks to be #36

I am pretty sure the Superman second row down is Superman 9.

Looks like #17 -- the Hitler/Hirohito cover.

Awesome photo! I love the retouching... you really get a feel for how the racks must have looked with all those vibrant colors.

I saw that colorized photo on Shorpy and am glad you posted it, FlyingDonut. The person that colorized it has a list of the magazines and comics that he based his colors on here: http://paintedback.blogspot.com/2014/10/may-23-30-1942-southington-connecticut.html

Awesome work!

I have 5 of the comics.

My cousin showed me this episode of Naked City from the 60's and I took screen shots of this scene. I know they're not Golden Age, but I was excited to see these books!

007.jpg

I thought one issue of AF 15 was cool enough and then I noticed a 2nd copy on the right side of this actor.

008.jpg

Here's another shot

009.jpg

My cousin showed me this episode of Naked City from the 60's and I took screen shots of this scene. I know they're not Golden Age, but I was excited to see these books!

007.jpg

I thought one issue of AF 15 was cool enough and then I noticed a 2nd copy on the right side of this actor.

008.jpg

Here's another shot

009.jpg

yah that's been posted here a few times I believe but always cool to see :)

Outstanding set of pictures! :applause:

Last one of this new bunch...

t.JPG

e.jpg

What comic is the girl on the left reading? It almost looks like a Tec #18.

You're right, Peter. It is. (thumbs u

Heres the original with the names of the girls and the year. Really cool she's reading a Tec 18.

1618CE6D-5EE3-4668-887A-43A1DE9AF118_zpseywxesxa.jpg

The names are undoubtedly Japanese. I'm curious if they were trying to learn improve their English or more likely were given the comics by an adult. Perhaps they chose them themselves.

Haven't seen this one before:

In addition to the comics in the window, historically fascinating for the signage touting the availability of American comics, biggest selection in East London.

Found here, the twitterer says it's from 1952:

bethnalgreenlondon1951.jpg

The photo shown above was taken by British artist and documentary photographer Nigel Henderson in Bethnal Green in the east end of London probably around 1951 or 1952.

He lived in Bethnal Green from 1949 to 1952 and took documentary photos of the neighborhood.

As you can see there are various American comics from 1948 to 1951: Dale Evans 14, Crime Patrol 12, Superboy 7, Capt Marvel Jr 61, Jungle 133, Wambi 9, Western True Crime 4 & 5.

American comics were very popular outside the United States and different countries had their favorites.

Can you guess the country outside America and the major city from each of the following pictures?

Also identify all the American comic characters, the exact foreign issues or the equivalent American issues if possible in these pictures. Answers in a several days.

Some of you might have seen a few of these pictures before.

1. at a train station

49supe_zps06e06b6e.jpg

2. at a street swap

donaldduckterror.jpg

3. 1950s street newsstand and closeup view

farannewsstand50s_zps60fc4215.jpg

farannewsstand50scu_zps51a63f67.jpg

4. 1959 reader

Micky-11-59_zps5d636cfa.jpg

5. renting comics

rentingcomic50s_zps786619df.jpg

6. sideburns