• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,225 posts in this topic

StrMys1.jpg

What a great looking copy and I love the green background.

Strange Mysteries 1 was one of the few Superiors printed on glossy cover stock with intense inks. The rest were published using inks made from recycled Bermuda shorts on printing presses held together with industrial strength Juicy Fruit to prove that, yes, it was possible to produce comics even more incompetently than Charlton.

StrMys1.jpg

What a great looking copy and I love the green background.

Strange Mysteries 1 was one of the few Superiors printed on glossy cover stock with intense inks. The rest were published using inks made from recycled Bermuda shorts on printing presses held together with industrial strength Juicy Fruit to prove that, yes, it was possible to produce comics even more incompetently than Charlton.

I love this post.And Charlton...

I really hope to have a cuppa.with you one day sir!

Juicy Fruit......ahahHHaaaa

I used to have over half the Superior Horror titles, mostly in low grade but loved rereading them.

I only have a couple now, kept for their covers and grades - any Superior book in higher grade is something of a freak of nature. They just weren't built that way. Anyone else have higher grade copies to show us by any chance?

Would be a fine except perhaps for the upper staple wear, but still attached there.

wtf920.jpg[/img]

Some of you have wondered why I've been selling so many of my Atlas books lately. It's just that I had an opportunity to pick up a few in really nice shape that I'd always liked. I don't want anyone to think I've just been pimping them up just to lay them down..... so here's the first one that I've managed to pay off ...... I suppose you can say I always went for "ghouls who are a little on the slim side :insane: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

1953 goodness......

DSCN0556.jpg

Bong! :olol

Yes!!

Well done Jimbo. Great taste.

How about another Top 25 Precode Horror List?

5 books a day will be posted with my reasons leading up to Friday, the 31st.

This is the sequel follow up to my TERRIBLE 25 from earlier in this thread and later posted on Bleeding Cool over here: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/10/31/the-terrible-25-of-pre-code-comic-book-horror/

That was 4 years ago. Looking back on that list, I still agree with most of it, though I felt over half could of been swapped out for other covers. This list is the next 25. The only books that will not be here are the ones directly below, my previous Terrible 25:

Wall-Day5.jpg

Since this is a list of my favorite Precode Horror covers, these books are only horror comics that feature an element of supernatural or fantasy to them. So no crime comics here like CSS 22 or Lawbreakers 11, etc.... I love those books but they will be on another list.

So let us kick it off. It is going to be 5 books every day this week.

Here begins my TwisTeD 25....

Wall-.gif

#25 Mens Adventures 22

Let us start with an underated classic drawn by the great Bill Everett. This is a pretty gruesome cover. Take a moment and really look at what is happening in the scene. Yeah. pretty sick.... I like the pose of the goul and his expression. I think this is one of the best character drawings from the hundreds of Atlas horror books that were published. The column thumbnails on the left featuring other stories in the book are also equally entertaining. My personal favortie is Deadline! :)

Also, this book has plenty of that famous Atlas Green!....... :cloud9:

Always easy on the eyes.

MensAdven22.gif

#24 The Thing! 11

Over the years, I have heard dealers and collectors continuely say The Thing! run of 17 issues is as perfect as a Precode Horror comic set can can be. There is not a bad one in the bunch. This goes for the covers as well as the stories.

-Bob Forgione cover

-This issue has a great Lou Morales story as well.

Lots going on here. It seems like there are 5 or 6 seperate stories or events taking place at once. The strange coloring on the man adds to the strangeness of this scene. Lots of small creatures and tons of sharp things and critters in all the nooks and crannies....just like my favorite comic shops and booths at conventions! :)

Thing11.gif

#23 Chilling Tales 16

These four hooded grisly creatures would get along well with the creeps on the cover of Venus 19 and other places Bill E would put them.

The Matt Fox Chilling Tales covers seem to get all the love but I always thought this was equally great and actually drawn better in a traditional representational sense. Another poor damsel in distress! How many of them have we seen on these covers?

Great coloring on this issue. Lots of intensity on the characters faces....again, my favorite part of this cover is the actaul black in drawing. Wonderful!

...I also like the guy in the background with that little pitckfork. Makes me think of getting some french fries at Nathans.

Chilling-Tales16.gif

#22 Mister Mystery 4

Originally I had Mister Mystery 6 (the one with the girl on the wheel drawn by the talented Tony Mortellaro) in this spot but then I remembered this one. Classic and underated in my opinion. When it comes to Mister Mystery it seems #6 and the later Bailey issues get most of the love. This is an early gem and pretty wild. As an artist myself, I always appreciate covers featuring the craft and supplies in some way....a weird take using the theme art about art.

One of the best things about this issue is not even visible here. It is the story inside Button? Button? Whos Got The Button? which was mentioned in the excellent fanzine Tales Too Terrible Too Tell.

MrMyst4.gif