• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I am confused! Why do people crack open their CGC graded comics?
2 2

214 posts in this topic

I'm sure I have probably cracked open maybe 400-500 slabs over he last 10 years. Worth every penny and besides I prefer to keep in mylars for the most part.

.... and you forgot to mention that when you need to sell, including the old label most often gets you the price you need.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

......that slab IS a damn fine product. I still remember the first one I bought..... an FF 73 CGC 8.0 .....downgraded for "writing on 14th page" ...it was an easy 9.0 otherwise..... old label goodness. I still remember being wowed by how solid and hard it was. I certainly see the appeal of slab collecting. GOD BLESS....

If I want to read the slabs I have purchased, I usually just get a digital copy and read it on my iPad.

Same goes with most of my raw copies…I really do not want to handle the comic itself and risk damaging it.

This is the most intelligent response yet...

lol and doh!

So judgemental. Almost like what you collect rocks and what others like sucks.

This might sound surprising to you, but comics were made for reading and handling, not for collecting in plastic cases. And you can damage a comic in a holder. They are not insufficiently_thoughtful_person proof.

Plenty of board members here collect rare, high grade and pedigree comics and they love to handle them in hand without 'protection' and are not afraid of damaging them. All you have to know is how to handle them properly.

And

I don't know why you feel compelled to insult people who use the service for different things. I also don't know why you would be in the hobby if you were afraid of the product.

I apologize if my comment was offensive or judgemental. I have many more raw books than slabbed and appreciate them for what they are.

Edited by supa-bad-mofo

NOTE TO THE OP:

I love the feel of a raw coin held by the edges in my hand , I love the ring that a gold or silver coin makes when I drop it a few inches onto a wooden table, love everything about a vintage coin, the sheen, gloss and patina, I relish studying the subtle nuances and the chocolate brown coloring of the classical large cents, but I would never EVER consider breaking open a NGC holder to accomplish this feeling, not when there are already countless raw examples for that.

NOTE TO THE OP:

I love the feel of a raw coin held by the edges in my hand , I love the ring that a gold or silver coin makes when I drop it a few inches onto a wooden table, love everything about a vintage coin, the sheen, gloss and patina, I relish studying the subtle nuances and the chocolate brown coloring of the classical large cents, but I would never EVER consider breaking open a NGC holder to accomplish this feeling, not when there are already countless raw examples for that.

Coins are lame. Free your comics!! :whee:

Nice!

I believe I also got a book once where the slab had detached a staple. Either that, or CGC thought that was an OK defect in a 7.5.

It's possible, if that were the only major defect.

Either take a Green 9.x or Blue 7.5.

Trouble is, the rest of the book is a turd as well. Bought with a carppy scan. It should have been a green 7.0 at best.

And so but it is hard for me to have any attachment to the book while it's still slabbed. I don't feel that I officially own the book until I crack it out and peruse through it. Reading copies don't count either. I want the book in the slab. I can certainly appreciate that others like their books entombed, it's just not for me.

Oh, and comiclink stickers don't bother me a bit.

i am so glad there are others on this forum who crack their slabs. i thought i may be in the minority. i only own two slabs (iron man 55) and a SS 1st Sheild. i immediately cracked the IM55 and stored in a mylar along with a acrylic top loader. i thought i'd be ridiculed for this so kinda kept my mouth shut.

all my collection which is about 100+ marvel keys/1st app are in stored in mylar with bcd acrylic top loader. i collect for me and my satisfaction alone. if i decide to sell later i can honestly grade the comic how CGC graded it as i kept the label. when it come down to it, i crack it to keep it consistent with how all my other comics are stored.

On 10/21/2014 at 12:31 PM, botolo said:

But sometimes the premium price that you pay for a CGC graded comic books is a lot. For example, Mycomicshop currently has ASM 85 9.0 at $425 when Overstreet's Guide has the same issue, same 9.0 conditions at $111. This is $314 more! I am a newbie at serious collecting so please forgive me if this is a stupid question or observation.

Sometimes you can buy a raw book four or more times on eBay and still not get it in desired grade, due difficulties grading a book via a scan, over grading by a seller, or non-disclosed flaws. 

1 hour ago, Scootrk said:

I would agree with this it is disrespectful to take a graded comic and crack it for any reason other than to press it and have it bumbed up a grade (if possible) or signed. I don't even like restored so no don't do it. As for the readers please find a copy you can still read. To unslab a comic being a non-professional and in my personal opinion you will immediately decrease grade and value while its un-slabbed then put it in storage and mark the grade but the grade isn't the same anymore it got damaged. (?) Also just opening a cover can and will defect grade or looking through pages. If no 1 cares about grade and value a poor cheap 1 can be bought why pay top dollar for same words same artwork

?

Disrespectful? To whom? "Non-professional?" Is a graded comic to be only bought and sold by a professional? Sure it may not make economic sense to break a graded comic out of its slab, but it's yours to do whatever you want. Being "disrespectful and unprofessional" is your prerogative. Ain't nobody's business but your own. 

2 hours ago, Scootrk said:

I would agree with this it is disrespectful to take a graded comic and crack it for any reason other than to press it and have it bumbed up a grade (if possible) or signed. I don't even like restored so no don't do it. As for the readers please find a copy you can still read. To unslab a comic being a non-professional and in my personal opinion you will immediately decrease grade and value while its un-slabbed then put it in storage and mark the grade but the grade isn't the same anymore it got damaged. (?) Also just opening a cover can and will defect grade or looking through pages. If no 1 cares about grade and value a poor cheap 1 can be bought why pay top dollar for same words same artwork

?

That is some professional level trolling. lol

On 10/21/2014 at 1:05 PM, jimjum12 said:

Many people buy a CGC book primarily for the verification of the grade and whether or not restoration is present..... in an effort to avoid being ripped off by strangers on the internet who sell misrepresented items. After they receive the book, it is removed and placed in a mylar to join the rest of their collection. Many, many people still enjoy actually reading the comic and flipping through it. GOD BLESS...

Whoa...whoa....whoa....you mean we are supposed to read these things?!  I thought it was all about the 'staring' at variant covers, seal them in armor, and and rubbing them like Gollum rubs a ring. 

4 hours ago, Scootrk said:
On 10/21/2014 at 1:12 PM, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

Some just do it to irritate the slabbies.

I truly wonder what people like you would have done in the pre-CGC days when you didn't have the almighty slabbing altar to pray at. Great googily moogily, what silliness   

Edited by Jerkfro

2 hours ago, Park said:
4 hours ago, Scootrk said:

?

That is some professional level trolling. lol

Yeah, I figured the same.

What most people collect sux. Park sux more.

48 minutes ago, Jerkfro said:
5 hours ago, Scootrk said:
On 10/21/2014 at 1:12 PM, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

Some just do it to irritate the slabbies.

I truly wonder what people like you would have done in the pre-CGC days when you didn't have the almighty slabbing altar to pray at. Great googily moogily, what silliness   

Disrespectful?!  Only disrespectful if you didn't own the comic.  Otherwise it is your comic, crack away.  I agree---this is beyond silly.  It's a fancy storage case, that quite frankly has it's place when you are trying to sell a high dollar book, but overall, the whole thing is very overrated.   And we still don't know the real long term effects of keeping a comic in a slab for years and years.  The company has been in business for what?  18 years?   Tomorrow any slab that has been in a holder for 18+ years could suddenly turn your comic a shade of puke green.   We just don't know.   Stop treating this plastic case like it's titanium.  

Edited by Mercury Man