• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SNOWPIERCER - Best comic adaptation that no one will see this summer !

114 posts in this topic

Fast Times at Ridgemont High was a true story-Cameron Crowe went undercover for the year to write the book.

The book is out of print and fairly expensive I do know of a free website where you can read this masterpiece

http://www.general-ebooks.com/read/14202485

Finally saw this.. it was just okay.

The heavy message and nonsensical situations were a bit much to overcome. Clearly Bong Joon-ho was more in love with his messages of the futility of revolutions, humans yearning to be controlled, and the adam & eve metephor at the end than really crafting a coherent movie. The first act had real promise and was setting up to be actually really good.. then it just goes off the rails into the absurdity department.

Still, it was at least mildly fun with the added bonus of asking yourself "WTF did I just watch??"

I still wonder why the train had to be moving.. why not just park it and use the engine to do something more useful with all that energy then hurtle a train around the planet. The fact that they were on a train lent no artistic device to the story, had no bearing on the message, etc. It was merely a gimmick. Not a fan of movies who insist on a basic premise that is completely and utterly illogical and so fallacious that no one would ever even attempt to undertake.

Edited by sl4ppy

The heavy message and nonsensical situations were a bit much to overcome.

I wanted to love this movie but found that I only liked it. Too many "nonsensical situations" is spot-on.

Admittedly half watched it. But one thing really confused me...

Where those characters dead and resurrected? I thought the asian guy and the guy he killed came back to life. For a moment there, I thought the train was some kind of purgatory ... like LOST.

Edited by bronze_rules

For me, it was like watching Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome and City of the Lost Children for the first time again. Even though I guessed the plot revelation of the end right off the bat, I really enjoyed how this movie got there as they crossed each gate. The sound effects and most of the visuals were absolutely stunning for a modest budget movie like this too. All the actors really brought something to the table, but the real surprise for me was Ko Asung, basically marooned in a thankless clairvoyant role. She brought a lot of the film's humanity back after Jamie Bell stopped doing so, and a haunted Chris Evans who really shows a deeper side than he is sometimes not allowed in a few other funnybook projects. I see him directing in a few years. I would rate this three and a half stars out of four.

I just watched it tonight. Good flick considering the budget. I thought it presented an interesting approach to the apocalyptic movie concept. The ending...major spoiler read at your own risk!

seemed a bit rushed and I didn't understand how humans couldn't survive for 17 years, but other life could. I also didn't understand how they could freeze an arm in 7 minutes, but hours later go out in the cold with no protection on the face and hands without problems.

Edited by supa-bad-mofo

I also didn't understand how they could freeze an arm in 7 minutes, but hours later go out in the cold with no protection on the face and hands without problems.

Wind Chill factor. That train was hauling butt.

Has anyone read the second book? Any good?

The second part (2nd and 3rd books of the french edition) is different of the first book : it talks about another train called "Crève-glace" (maybe translated "Ice-piercer") with other characters.

In fact, the writer of the first book died and the new one had a very different approach.

Graphism is very different (wonderful painted black and white) wich gives a more "blurred and moody" atmosphere.

Interesting to read if you like science-fiction comic books.