• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,113 posts in this topic

I'm not a lawyer, but theft can't be assumed without knowing the rights status of the earlier Frank R. Paul painting in question. Was permission requested or even needed by the latter artist & publisher? Given that over 40 years had passed it's entirely possible that the rights to the original work had reverted to the artist and permission may have been sought from his estate (Paul passed away in '63). Did public domain apply?

Public Domain probably did apply. As far as I know, most Amazing Stories from that era were not correctly renewed, or possibly not even correctly submitted in the first place. Comic Book Plus certainly seems to think the issue is PD:

http://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=36913

and since it's post-1923 it can only be PD now if it was PD then with the way the laws work.

This is tame compared to most of this thread.... but I picked up a small group of this title a while back and just couldn't bring myself to sell this one ..... love this cover. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

DSCN0385.jpg

Edited by jimjum12