• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,201 posts in this topic

Thank baby jeebus for REDEMPTION sales!

That's how it's done, son

Behind every timely drive to redemption...there is a sales thread looming. :)

Redemption + Cool Books® = awesomesauce

what's redemption + cool books + 30 days =?

Thank baby jeebus for REDEMPTION sales!

That's how it's done, son

Behind every timely drive to redemption...there is a sales thread looming. :)

Redemption + Cool Books® = awesomesauce

I thought symbiotic had the record after posting a sales thread a few hours after saying he would never sell here again?

Apologies + more redemption = rinse / repeat?

apparently, honesty is not part of redemption.

If you're honest, do you really need redemption? (shrug)

Sure. A drunk driver who kills someone would need redemption, and they might be a very honest person.

If you're honest, do you really need redemption? (shrug)

Sure. A drunk driver who kills someone would need redemption, and they might be a very honest person.

In that context I would agree, I should've been clearer, my bad.

Maybe I can't get over people who sit on their computer to mess on everything. Maybe I'm silly to believe that when Mike's house burned down, or Nik's son was born premature or Beau and Lebowski lost their lives and the boards rallied around them and their families that it's sincere.

Maybe I'm sick of hearing from the same members who are always missing in those threads, or the grading contests or the holiday exchanges or anything that supports the "community" aspect of the boards. Maybe they should find something more productive to do with their time in their actual community. Help an old lady across a street, hang missing cat signs or start a fisting club.

You define community as participation in the way you think it should take place, and you're judging by the appearance, rather than the motive.

Why are people taking part in those things? What are their motives? These questions always, always need to be asked, all the time. Is it to promote oneself? Yes, in many cases, absolutely. The motive frequently boils down to "look what a good guy/gal I am for doing thus and such. You should think good thoughts about me."

Is that a just, virtuous motive? I don't think so. I don't know that many would think it is. Giving, participating, these aren't bad things in and of themselves. But if the reason is to promote self...and it almost always is, even if that, itself, isn't necessarily a bad thing...is it really "giving"? If there are strings attached...even if those strings are only an expectation of kudos and virtual back-slapping...then have they really given? Or have they merely bartered for what they wanted, and nothing but mere "commerce" (of a form) has taken place?

Important questions to consider.

Let's consider this example:

There are people who share their knowledge about various subjects, who are willing to freely give of their time to advancing general scholarship about the artform. Yes, I have myself in mind, but there are many others who do this as well.

Is that self-serving? Are they doing it to feed their egos? To show off how smart they (think they) are? Are they doing it to drive business to themselves? Absolutely, that's certainly true in many cases. Human beings are complex creatures, and there's never really just one simple reason for our behavior.

But...has knowledge been increased? Have people learned something, something that can benefit (and has benefitted) them greatly? Yes. Have they learned something, something for which they didn't have to pay much more than the time it took to read, knowledge that was *not* so easily obtained by the person passing it on?

Absolutely.

And is that not "community fostering"? Yes, it absolutely is! Do you look at that as such? hm And yet, it's just as valid as any of the other activities you've mentioned as community fostering.

How many people who have knowledge stingily refuse to share it, because they had to work for it, so why should anyone else get it for what boils down to "free"? That happens all the time.

And that's just one way; there are others. Positive feedback, for one, and encouragement, and mutual interests discovered and expanded.

People form bonds in many ways, not all of them obvious.

I'll head you off at the pass before you talk about giving behind the scenes, not needing to participate to be part of the community, etc, etc.

This is not a battle I can win since it's based on opinions so I won't try and go back and forth. Maybe I just wanted my opinion to be heard as well. (shrug)

Sure...as long as you're open minded enough to consider things from other people's perspectives. Motive, as always, is the real answer. It's not even actions that speak louder than words...it's the motive behind them that is paramount.

Motive > behavior > words.

Lastly, the pack posting isn't my opinion it's a fact. Simply spend 10 minutes reading back in the thread and the same 4 or 5 members stack up the quotes against whatever person disagrees. I could truly care less as I have spent a fair amount of time duking it out with them but to call another member a troll for one post is pathetic. You know exactly who I'm talking about.

I really don't, and I don't see what you're talking about. I'm not a "member" of any "clique", and prefer to be judged based on the whole body of my words and actions, rather than a few posts here and there that may appear to be a certain way, but may or may not be as it appears.

Isn't that how we all would like to be perceived?

I was told once that I "didn't possess the qualities it takes to be a moderator", those qualities being an ability to consider all sides fairly, and adjudicate in a measured, balanced manner. How this person came up with this statement, when I can honestly say that my motive has always been (though marred by my own petulant impatience and arrogance, no doubt) to achieve a fair, balanced, reasoned analysis of what really exists, and why...a "credit where credit is due" philosophy, "can we not reason together?", acknowledging the truth no matter from where it comes...is anyone's guess, but it does highlight the issue of perspective quite neatly.

Then again...maybe I'm just blind, myself.

hm

I have no idea why I post here. But I spend hours browsing around, and post. Mostly redundancy now that I think about it.

But at least I read this and it kicked a neuron into responding. So thanks for the posts! :)

Hello,

I am not sure if this is the right place to do so, and if I can nominate a non-boardie for the Hall of Shame, but I want to warn anybody for eBay seller Seerojas.

What is the case?

On 7 July I purchased item 221483206787: a complete set of ASM666 variants.

On 22 August the package arrived. I immediately noticed the seller Seerojas that three books were missing. The next day, the seller Seerojas apologized and promised to send the missing books.

On 6 September I asked the seller about the status of the books. He said he had not sent them yet, but promised to do so right away.

On 1 October I still had not received the books and asked the seller Seerojas about the status.

On 1 October the seller Seerojas replied he would send them ‘tomorrow’. I demanded a tracking number.

On 2 October the seller Seerojas said he would send them ‘tomorrow’. Again I demanded a tracking number.

On 6 October the seller Seerojas said he would send the books ‘tomorrow’. Again I demanded a tracking number and then I did not hear anything anymore. All of the sudden the conversation at eBay was closed (can the seller to that?)

On 9 October I started a refund request at eBay. I got a confirmation saying the seller would contact me within 6 days and that after that period I could ask eBay to step in.

On 16 October, after I did not hear anything from the seller Seerojas, I wanted to ask eBay to stept in. But when I click the link ‘ask us to step in and help’ in the confirmation e-mail, I got into a screen saying: 'This return was closed' and 'the return was completed on Oct 15, 2014'. Well, nothing was completed, I did not get any refund, I can not start anything with PayPal as the 45 day period has expired and I can not get into touch with eBay.

So I am screwed. Well, I have learned my lesson. This is the second bad incident I had with eBay and I will not use them anymore. And I warn anybody against this fraud caled Seerojas.

best,

E

There's a boardie here with the same name.

seerojas

He hasn't posted in a year.

If this is a boardy I really want him on probabtion. What information do I need to share to make this happen? regards, E

Bumping this so this actually gets dealt with. PM him that you are nominating him for the PL. You gave us enough information. If he doesn't respond in 3 days, he goes on the list.

Did this ever get dealt with?