• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

I get your point and I don't lose sleep over the movies one way or another. In fact, I'm sure Marvel could care less what I think because I'm not a big subscriber anymore. It wasn't very long ago that i bought over 40 of their titles per month. I might buy 1 or 2 now if there is a writer or artist I really like but short of that, I'm buying over 80% Image books. It seemed to me that they let the movies dictate the overall direction of the comics and they may prove to be a smart move but I was more of a comic fan.

Unfortunately, based on sales figures you are not the norm. I see a lot of people complain about the big 2, more Marvel, on here but they still get their pull list full of the them. Pick up even a semi-popular Image title and I bet you will be happy.

So you think the movies are better than the comics ? Captain America has been in roughly 7500-8000 comics and they couldn't find enough material for 3 movies ? You think Samuel Jackson is causing people to show up in droves to the Marvel movies ? He was probably why Star Wars did so well. ;)

To each their own. I think writers like Stan Lee just had a lot more vision than the current group of movie people making these shows. There are almost none that I would pay to see twice. (shrug)

(thumbs u

I like the cut of your jib.

I agree with every part of that Authority. If they want to improve characters by adding (here's a new twist) a good STORY then do so. These established characters have a back story and history - its not broke so don't fix it.

So, is everyone going to rail on Avengers 2? The backstory for Ultron is going to be changed since Pym is not the creator. Nebula and Yondu in GOTG look nothing like their comic book counterparts. Groot's speech pattern was nothing like the comic counterpart. Heimdall looks nothing like his comic counterpart. Bucky and Steve Rogers were not roughly the same age as shown in the movie. Modok appearance is much, much different in the comic. Sam Wilson in the 616 universe is pretty far removed from a military man in the comic. Jarvis is a butler, not a computer. I could go on and on here. Even how the Avengers came together in the comics has nothing to do with how they were assembled by SHIELD on the big screen.

The number of liberties the movies and TV are taking with these comic characters is quite huge. Having a decent actor play the part seems to be the least offensive change IMHO.

All things you listed where reasons why Marvel movies are very so-so for me.

Speaking of black characters, Bishop could have been awesome in X-Men. Get your A or B list actor for him. He's an interesting character, both visually and story-wise. Don't have to try and change characters, and maybe we wouldn't be stuck with Teen Wolf Beast and the same old characters yet again. .....but, they decided not to use him. Great move, Marvel.

I agree. Hillbilly Yondu ? What, Jar Jar Binks wasn't available ? :facepalm:

Hahahaha!!! Ya, I mean, cmon.

I really don't know the character, but after reading about him for two minutes on WIkipedia,....ya, no.

And, what, they were DYING to get A-Lister Michael Rooker???

So you think the movies are better than the comics ? Captain America has been in roughly 7500-8000 comics and they couldn't find enough material for 3 movies ? You think Samuel Jackson is causing people to show up in droves to the Marvel movies ? He was probably why Star Wars did so well. ;)

To each their own. I think writers like Stan Lee just had a lot more vision than the current group of movie people making these shows. There are almost none that I would pay to see twice. (shrug)

They also had 70 years of Cap material and they chose a storyline from 2005.

I think you can't get too caught up in a movie being like a comic or book. There are tons of movies based off books that are inconsistent. There is a difference translating from reading to viewing.

Ya, but unnecesary or baffling changes are what's goofy.

Also, on the subject of getting a good actor, a good actor should be able to conform to a range of characters (within reason).

Speaking of black characters, Bishop could have been awesome in X-Men. Get your A or B list actor for him. He's an interesting character, both visually and story-wise. Don't have to try and change characters, and maybe we wouldn't be stuck with Teen Wolf Beast and the same old characters yet again. .....but, they decided not to use him. Great move, Marvel.

It was Fox, but regardless, Bishop had no business being in DoFP. Ditto for Blink and Quicksilver, but he was a highlight. I hear you though. Sometimes it's a step from page to screen. Other times it's a leap.

Well....he has a lot more business than many of the characters there. Not in the classical story sense, but in the fact that he's a time traveler, is from that future, is in follow-up storys from that future,etc.

It was Fox, but regardless, Bishop had no business being in DoFP. Ditto for Blink and Quicksilver, but he was a highlight. I hear you though. Sometimes it's a step from page to screen. Other times it's a leap.

Well....he has a lot more business than many of the characters there. Not in the classical story sense, but in the fact that he's a time traveler, is from that future, is in follow-up storys from that future,etc.

I enjoyed all 3 of those characters being in the film.

I enjoyed all 3 of those characters being in the film.

I thought they could have done a lot more in the way of building up the characters of Bishop and Blink. They both looked cool and Blink's powers really worked well on the big screen. They took the time to introduce us to Quicksilver and I thought he would have been a lot cooler if he acted the way he does in the comics. Instead they went with "Dude where's my car, Quicksilver" which really limits the character imo.

I'm assuming Bishop and Blink were just introduced to be used later. I really liked Quicksilver. I don't get the same vibe as you. I get the "I've done it all and life is boring" vibe.

I'm assuming Bishop and Blink were just introduced to be used later. I really liked Quicksilver. I don't get the same vibe as you. I get the "I've done it all and life is boring" vibe.

It could be that. I loved the slo-mo scene. That was awesome. (thumbs u