• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,225 posts in this topic

Found several issues of this in a long overlooked box and realized it completed a run. So here is Journey Into Fear 1-21 by Superior Comics.

This title had some of the most outrageous and amusing precode horror stories, like The Flat Man, Evil Intruder, and Blood On Her Lips.

Superior used poor quality paper and lousy printing presses. Miscuts, ragged edges, smeared or faint ink are all common. Good luck finding nice condition copies.

Here's a group shot and a countdown...

Halloween is coming...

150580.jpg.3298c6c0f7ec760c5b4271a8b0f20f5e.jpg

It's a fantastic series -- "Evil Intruder" is pre-code awesomeness :headbang:

Found several issues of this in a long overlooked box and realized it completed a run. So here is Journey Into Fear 1-21 by Superior Comics.

This title had some of the most outrageous and amusing precode horror stories, like The Flat Man, Evil Intruder, and Blood On Her Lips.

Superior used poor quality paper and lousy printing presses. Miscuts, ragged edges, smeared or faint ink are all common. Good luck finding nice condition copies.

Here's a group shot and a countdown...

Halloween is coming...

There are Canadian eh? (worship)

Any doubles? #4 is the only one I've come across in the wild northern wasteland.

Boot,you've always got great,GREAT stuff that is right up my alley.

Edited by porcupine48

Great books! So awesome to refind these and realize you have a complete set!

Looking at all of them together it's hard for me to decide my favorite cover but I've always been partial to issue 7 with that bizarre caped werewolf. Thanks for posting!

There are Canadian eh? (worship)

Any doubles? #4 is the only one I've come across in the wild northern wasteland.

Boot,you've always got great,GREAT stuff that is right up my alley.

adamstrange will correct me if I am wrong but my understanding is that they were printed in Canada for distribution in the United States. There are no U.S. versions, so these are the originals.

The plates used were often very worn hence the quality of printing is often substandard. Adds to their charm if you are an aficionado.

They don't receive anything like the attention currently given to Atlas PCH - but the surreal horror of the stories and artwork is hard to beat.

they were printed in Canada for distribution in the United States. There are no U.S. versions, so these are the originals.
(thumbs u

The plates used were often very worn hence the quality of printing is often substandard. Adds to their charm if you are an aficionado.
judging the grade of a Superior comic from a scan is difficult due to trying to distinguish printing defects from actual defects.

I had the full run but sold of most of them this summer. I'll post the ones

I kept later.

I bought em, just priced em, and they will be on our web-site in the next week.

I had the full run but sold of most of them this summer. I'll post the ones

I kept later.

I bought em, just priced em, and they will be on our web-site in the next week.

Glad to hear! :) And thanks!

Here are the few I kept. I don't consider these the best covers of the run, but they each had a weird story or two that I liked. Superior books are some of the best non EC horror books out there. Whenever this time of year rolls around, I always read at least a few of these comics. I'm a bit behind this year because I am finally reading the early Wrightson Swamp thing issues and into the Alan Moore stuff (off GA topic: sorry).

Anyway, here are the Superiors....

19169652d13a8668484f99fe245c5746.jpg

And by the way, stay tuned to this thread. I've got something special planned for next week.

-Christian