• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st Teen Titans
3 3

1,128 posts in this topic

Y'know I would be real curious to see the panel from the Teen Titan index if anyone would care to throw it up :)

I'd like to see this panel also stating that it is definitively the 1st Appearance in the index. - BB 54 is included in Teen Titans compilations because it is a relevant story leading to the creation of the Titans as again a teamup prequel. Also again it is very common for prequel stories to be included in compilations and just because it is included doesn't mean that it is the First Appearance no matter how it's spun.

In 1965, BB 60 does not, contrary to DC practice, tout itself as "introducing" a new team. Instead, the text of BB 60 makes clear that the formation of the team pre-dates BB 60 and there is a specific citation back to BB 54.

Oh really ? Contrary to DC practice ? I guess these aren't new teams ?

0727_aquajla1a_zpsec7a64f2.jpg

195370-3105-114594-1-adventure-comics_zpsa14270da.jpg

Most controversial thread in this forum in a long time!

I liked your prior post better because it highlighted the fact of how integral Wonder Girl was to the formation of the Teen Titans. It was a group created to appeal to kids and younger readers and the inclusion of a female character for teenage girls to follow also is a BIG deal. That is one of the biggest reasons why the Teen Titans were not created before Wonder Girl was included in that team and to say otherwise means you don't understand the back story that well.

Also for those wondering about BB 60 being a dollar issue I'm assuming you haven't attempted to purchase one in the last couple years - a strong portion of the market already believes in the value of this book as seen by the prices it gets (which is pushed upwards due to it's scarcity). The book is already insanely expensive and just because people on the CGC board pantomime about it's importance I highly doubt it's suddenly going to jump leaps and bounds.

I think it's a great book Teddie. The story isn't as good as the 54, but I love that black cover and the idea that it is (IMO) the first true Teen Titans.

I also agree that the market has quietly been very strong for the book for quite awhile. I wonder what the 9.0 will go for in CC next auction!

bb60.jpg

I think it's a great book Teddie. The story isn't as good as the 54, but I love that black cover and the idea that it is (IMO) the first true Teen Titans.

I also agree that the market has quietly been very strong for the book for quite awhile. I wonder what the 9.0 will go for in CC next auction!

Sadly I am almost sure the owner of that book is posting in this thread to pump the book which makes me not want to defend it as a person like you who doesn't have a need to purchase either 54 or 60 at this point.

I liked your prior post better because it highlighted the fact of how integral Wonder Girl was to the formation of the Teen Titans. It was a group created to appeal to kids and younger readers and the inclusion of a female character for teenage girls to follow also is a BIG deal. That is one of the biggest reasons why the Teen Titans were not created before Wonder Girl was included in that team and to say otherwise means you don't understand the back story that well.

I think I fully understand the back story. As I've heard it, Kashdan went to Haney and told him wanted him to create a "junior Justice League." The result was BB 54, a story focused upon "teen-age troubles" and the generation gap.

Sadly I am almost sure the owner of that book is posting in this thread to pump the book which makes me not want to defend it as a person like you who doesn't have a need to purchase either 54 or 60 at this point.

The owner of the 60 on CC has been a contributor to this thread? Who?

The owner of the 60 on CC has been a contributor to this thread? Who?

I'm just being pessimistic because that seems to be the norm these days on the boards with the pump and dump. Sounds like I'm wrong though.

I have a raw 9.0ish copy, but I'm still accumulating this particular book. I'd like to own several in HG. I believe this to be one of the most undervalued comics of the Silver Age.

I'm not sure if the Charleston copy has ever been brought to market, Teddie. CC has been selling the books from the collection here and there since June. If it has transferred previously, GPA doesn't recognize the collection as a pedigree. Here's a link with some more info:

http://www.metropoliscomics.com/bookSearch.php?pageSize=40&display=gallery&adv_search_pos=down&searchType=collection&title=&set=58299

Y'know I would be real curious to see the panel from the Teen Titan index if anyone would care to throw it up :)

I'd like to see this panel also stating that it is definitively the 1st Appearance in the index. - BB 54 is included in Teen Titans compilations because it is a relevant story leading to the creation of the Titans as again a teamup prequel. Also again it is very common for prequel stories to be included in compilations and just because it is included doesn't mean that it is the First Appearance no matter how it's spun.

Right. Same thing with Sgt. Rock. Prototypes from prior to OAW 83 sometimes get included, but after forty-some-odd years of OAW 81 being considered his first appearance, the market and dealers and Overstreet all shifted to OAW 83. Pretty sure no one lowered the price on 81 too much.

And so now the market and dealers have a financial incentive to do the same kind of re-evaluation with B&B 60, too. Now they'll have TWO books they can market as seminal Teen Titans books.

I think I fully understand the back story. As I've heard it, Kashdan went to Haney and told him wanted him to create a "junior Justice League." The result was BB 54, a story focused upon "teen-age troubles" and the generation gap.

I don't think author intentionality factors into this discussion. What made it into print is all that's relevant--not what the creators intended. (See: Constitution and Bible, The).

I have a raw 9.0ish copy, but I'm still accumulating this particular book. I'd like to own several in HG. I believe this to be one of the most undervalued comics of the Silver Age.

aha.jpg

;)

aha.jpg

;)

:whistle:

:idea:

aha.jpg

;)

Everyone gets that if someone still wants to buy something and they're willing to manipulate the market for it, they're going to try to drive the price DOWN and say it's OVER-valued, right? Because math.

And how about we put to bed speculation about people's motives, okay? No one here is accusing B&B 54 defenders as doing so because they want their copies to maintain their value...even though their books don't have the words "Teen Titans" in them.

aha.jpg

;)

Everyone gets that if someone still wants to buy something and they're willing to manipulate the market for it, they're going to try to drive the price DOWN and say it's OVER-valued, right? Because math.

hm Is that what they do in the Modern Age "Heating Up" Thread?