• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a winner. The Rotten Tomatoes reviews were off.

856 posts in this topic

I can't believe I agree with Kav, but 2001 is light years beyond Planet of the Apes in the FX department. Apes had essential zero special effects. John Chambers won an Oscar for makeup, but that's definitely not the same things as special effects.

2001 considered a landmark achievement in special effects and won an Oscar.. unfortunately wrongly attributed to Kubrick instead of the real master, Douglass Trumbull..

It's also consistently if AFI's (and everyone else's) top 25 movies of all time.

It is, frankly, a masterpiece.

Kav's plot synopsis is correct for the most part; a little off in places. The story is very loosely based/inspired by Arthur C. Clarke's short story "The Sentinel". It's a very good read.

Kubrik succinctly sums up 2001 as:

You begin with an artifact left on earth four million years ago by extraterrestrial explorers who observed the behavior of the man-apes of the time and decided to influence their evolutionary progression. Then you have a second artifact buried deep on the lunar surface and programmed to signal word of man's first baby steps into the universe -- a kind of cosmic burglar alarm. And finally there's a third artifact placed in orbit around Jupiter and waiting for the time when man has reached the outer rim of his own solar system.

When the surviving astronaut, Bowman, ultimately reaches Jupiter, this artifact sweeps him into a force field or star gate that hurls him on a journey through inner and outer space and finally transports him to another part of the galaxy, where he's placed in a human zoo approximating a hospital terrestrial environment drawn out of his own dreams and imagination. In a timeless state, his life passes from middle age to senescence to death. He is reborn, an enhanced being, a star child, an angel, a superman, if you like, and returns to earth prepared for the next leap forward of man's evolutionary destiny.

That is what happens on the film's simplest level. Since an encounter with an advanced interstellar intelligence would be incomprehensible within our present earthbound frames of reference, reactions to it will have elements of philosophy and metaphysics that have nothing to do with the bare plot outline itself.

Think of the "psychedelic part" at the end as very much akin to the wormhole travel in Contact.. except with FX from the 60's... It has nothing to do with drugs or weed or tripping or anything else people would like to believe.. Would you call that sequence boring in Contact?

The aging forward and backward is a reflection that Bowman is seeing that time is not linear as human's understand it, but part of the same fabric as physical space.

Edited by sl4ppy

What special effects in Planet of the Apes are you talking about? Ape costumes?? I'm not tracking.

It doesn`t matter now, as I now agree after re-watching this seven years later that I now consider 2001: A Space Odyssey a masterpiece. (thumbs u

Why I think I enjoyed it this time more around was I finally got to see it on a big HDTV screen. The few times I saw it before it was either a tiny screen or watching a dvd on a laptop.

Next questions

is 2010: A Space Odyssey a good movie

and how is the 2001: A Space Odyssey book the movie it`s based on?

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

What special effects in Planet of the Apes are you talking about? Ape costumes?? I'm not tracking.

It doesn`t matter now, as I now agree after re-watching this seven years later that I now consider 2001: A Space Odyssey a masterpiece. (thumbs u

Why I think I enjoyed it this time more around was I finally got to see it on a big HDTV screen. The few times I saw it before it was either a tiny screen or watching a dvd on a laptop.

Next questions

clarke wrote the book along with working on the screenplay so neither came first although 'the sentinel' was before that. there were things in the book that were left out of the movie obviously. as far as planet of the apes winning best costume when the 2001 apes were far more realistic well that's hollywood for ya.

Next questions

clarke wrote the book along with working on the screenplay so neither came first although 'the sentinel' was before that. there were things in the book that were left out of the movie obviously. as far as planet of the apes winning best costume when the 2001 apes were far more realistic well that's hollywood for ya.

My favorite characters of 2001: A Space Odyssey were Dr. Heywood R. Floyd,Dr. David Bowman,Dr. Frank Poole and Hal.

Next questions

My favorite characters of 2001: A Space Odyssey were Dr. Heywood R. Floyd,Dr. David Bowman,Dr. Frank Poole and Hal.

So the only cast though most of the film. lol

Here's the set for the massive centrifuge:

2001_CENTRIFUGE_SET.jpg

Kubrick's daughter in cameo (she was also in the bar in the Shining)

Vivian_Kubrick.jpg

All you "I've never seen 2001" guys are in luck.

It's being re-released. Nov. 28.

New trailer is perfection...

That trailer gave me goosebumps all over again.

Sweet, I would totally go see it in the theater again (got lucky enough to catch it on the big screen about 15 years ago). How long will it be out? I'll be overseas from the 28th until December 7, so hopefully I won't miss my chance. :wishluck:

This movie is extremely slow by today's movie standards. I wouldn't mind seeing it at the theater, but I don't see my kids wanting to sit through this. Even I fell asleep the last time I saw it on TV.

The special effects were ground breaking at the time this movie came out. I appreciate that. But the time the camera focuses on those effects go on forever and ever.