• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reasonable Price for ASM 361

489 posts in this topic

Oh yeah...Web of Spidey #118, key book, first appearance, the second print will sell across the board in any grade for more than a first print will.

Jim

This. WoS #118 contains the first appearance of Scarlet Spider. He played a pretty big role at the time and still has fans today.

Also, while not a first appearance, the second print of Spider-Man 2099 #1 sells for much much more than the first print.

Exactly...noted on a CGC label as first Solo clone story.

And WD #33 might not be a key first appearance but a key nonetheless. It's not as random as WD #34, hence why I brought it up and offered both scenarios.

Jim

Web 118 isn't acknowledged as a key first appearance in any literature I have seen.

Well, the answer, then, is to read more literature.

I do not find the comparison to asm 361 to be persuasive. Asm 361 is a bona fide first (full) appearance and is a generally accepted copper age key. Hence why the first printing is valuable. This is not a situation where we are talking about a first printing of a fairly meaningless or marginal book, that got a reprint for whatever reason with a different or cooler cover. Asm 361 first print is valuable and the second print is valuable because the first print is valuable- ie, it is the second printing of the first appearance of a popular copper age character. My only point is that as additional copies of the second printing hit the census, in all likelihood, the second printing will permanently cede its positioning to the first printing value-wise, which is the case 99.999999% of the time. To state or believe otherwise, quite simply, would run counter to decades of precedent.

-J.

You say such weird, absolutist things.

hm

Spidey #361, like most Copper books, faded into obscurity in the late 90's/early 2000's, and while not a dollar book, certainly wasn't even a $10 book until the last couple of years.

As far as your claim that "the second will permanently cede its positioning to the first printing, which is the case 99.9999999% of the time"...

Will you please tell me the OTHER examples that make up this "99.999999%"?

What "decades of precedent" are you talking about? Later printings didn't even EXIST in mainstream comics until the late 70's, and were utterly ignored until just the last 5 years or so.

Bingo! You answered your own question. (thumbs u

That answered nothing. What "decades of precedent" are you referring to, where a later printing was TEMPORARILY more valuable than the first printing, then "ceded its positioning" to the first...?

Hmmm...?

And Web 118 does not constitute a "key first appearance". Sorry.

-J.

That's your opinion. The market disagrees with you. Again.

Does "the market" include CGC, which does not see fit to even mention anything about it on the label ? Seems more to me that you disagree with CGC. Maybe you should write them a 40 page letter telling them why they are wrong. Hmmmm... and from where I sit, you have been shown to be wrong in every single little debate we have had. Every single one.

Keep swinging for the fences though bud.

-J.

Oh yeah...Web of Spidey #118, key book, first appearance, the second print will sell across the board in any grade for more than a first print will.

Jim

This. WoS #118 contains the first appearance of Scarlet Spider. He played a pretty big role at the time and still has fans today.

Also, while not a first appearance, the second print of Spider-Man 2099 #1 sells for much much more than the first print.

And WD #33 might not be a key first appearance but a key nonetheless. It's not as random as WD #34, hence why I brought it up and offered both scenarios.

Jim

Web 118 isn't acknowledged as a key first appearance in any literature I have seen.

I do not find the comparison to asm 361 to be persuasive. Asm 361 is a bona fide first (full) appearance and is a generally accepted copper age key. Hence why the first printing is valuable. This is not a situation where we are talking about a first printing of a fairly meaningless or marginal book, that got a reprint for whatever reason with a different or cooler cover. Asm 361 first print is valuable and the second print is valuable because the first print is valuable- ie, it is the second printing of the first appearance of a popular copper age character. My only point is that as additional copies of the second printing hit the census, in all likelihood, the second printing will permanently cede its positioning to the first printing value-wise, which is the case 99.999999% of the time. To state or believe otherwise, quite simply, would run counter to decades of precedent.

-J.

hm

Spidey #361, like most Copper books, faded into obscurity in the late 90's/early 2000's, and while not a dollar book, certainly wasn't even a $10 book until the last couple of years.

As far as your claim that "the second will permanently cede its positioning to the first printing, which is the case 99.9999999% of the time"...

What "decades of precedent" are you talking about? Later printings didn't even EXIST in mainstream comics until the late 70's, and were utterly ignored until just the last 5 years or so.

-J.

How does it not????

It sells for more raw than a MOS #18 first print does. It sells for significantly more as a 9.8 slab, then a MOS #18 does. (double to triple). I'd argue it's a bigger key than MOS #18 but that is not this discussion.

Jim

Jim

Jim

-J.

hm

That answered nothing. What "decades of precedent" are you referring to, where a later printing was TEMPORARILY more valuable than the first printing, then "ceded its positioning" to the first...?

Hmmm...?

-J.

Does "the market" include CGC, which does not see fit to even mention anything about it on the label ?

We've discussed this before.

The CGC label notes are COURTESIES, they are NOT part of the service.

As such, what appears (and does not appear) in those notes should *not* be construed as definitive of ANYTHING...an argument you, yourself, inadvertently made regarding Hulk #271, whereby people were being "misled" by the fact that it used to say "first appearance of Rocket Raccoon."

:makepoint:

Seems more to me that you disagree with CGC. Maybe you should write them a 40 page letter telling them why they are wrong. Hmmmm... and from where I sit, you have been shown to be wrong in every single little debate we have had. Every single one.

-J.

I think you need a new chair.

Now, please answer the question:

What "decades of precedent" showed later printings being worth more than first printings, then "ceding those positionings" to the first printings...?

:popcorn:

Jim

Jim

-J.

hm

Hmmm...?

-J.

At least he is consistent. ;)

Jim

Jim

-J.

hm

-J.

How does it not????

It sells for more raw than a MOS #18 first print does. It sells for significantly more as a 9.8 slab, then a MOS #18 does. (double to triple). I'd argue it's a bigger key than MOS #18 but that is not this discussion.

Jim

If you are referring to Ben Reilly, the character, his first appearance was actually in the 70's, and it is hardly a "key". He has also appeared as different versions of spiderman, spider carnage, etc. While those are interesting story lines, they are not "keys" either. Nor would yet another one of his incarnations as scarlet spider be considered a "key". Maybe if they drop him in a movie, that will change. Or more likely his actual first appearance in the 70's will take on a greater significance. As it stands now though, not so much.

But I get it, everything is a "key" nowadays, or a "key" to somebody. Even asm 361 is a very light "key" in the grand scheme of things.

-J.

Jim

Jim

-J.

hm

Hmmm...?

-J.

Consistently wrong is a TYPE of consistency......

:whistle:

Jim

Jim

-J.

hm

Hmmm...?

-J.

Does "the market" include CGC, which does not see fit to even mention anything about it on the label ?

We've discussed this before.

The CGC label notes are COURTESIES, they are NOT part of the service.

As such, what appears (and does not appear) in those notes should *not* be construed as definitive of ANYTHING...an argument you, yourself, inadvertently made regarding Hulk #271, whereby people were being "misled" by the fact that it used to say "first appearance of Rocket Raccoon."

:makepoint:

Seems more to me that you disagree with CGC. Maybe you should write them a 40 page letter telling them why they are wrong. Hmmmm... and from where I sit, you have been shown to be wrong in every single little debate we have had. Every single one.

-J.

I think you need a new chair.

Now, please answer the question:

What "decades of precedent" showed later printings being worth more than first printings, then "ceding those positionings" to the first printings...?

:popcorn:

lol I provided "one" example of a later printing ceding value to the original printing". The "decades of precedent" refers to later printings of key books being worth less than the first prints. If you believe other wise I have a GRR of fantastic four #1 I'd like to sell you for $15,000.

-J.

lol I provided "one" example of a later printing ceding value to the original printing". The "decades of precedent" refers to later printings of key books being worth less than the first prints. If you believe other wise I have a GRR of fantastic four #1 I'd like to sell you for $15,000.

-J.

Thank you for correcting your statement, and clarifying what you meant to say.

:)

Jim

Jim

-J.

hm

Hmmm...?

-J.

Yes I am. Consistently right. Let's see, right about hulk 181 being worth more than a cerebus 1 in a 9.2 in 2014? Check. Right about hulk 271 going down in value as more and more of the corrected CGC labels made it into circulation ? Check. Right about no one being able to show that a significant amount more than 100 copies of sandman 8b being verifiably in existence (I think you found about 52 so far)? Check. Right about additional copies of asm 301 hitting the census in 9.8? Check so far. Right about more copies of asm 301 hitting the market in a 9.8 and crushing the value ? Check. One copy couldn't even get a one bid of $750 the other day, with five other 9.8 copies on the market.

Right about asm 361 second print not selling for what it does now as additional copies hit the census and come to market, as the first printing continues to rise, a-la NM 98? Probably right. But as RMA stated, we can only wait and see for that one. (thumbs u

-J.

-J.

I aim to please. :foryou:

-J.

Jim

Jim

-J.

hm

Hmmm...?

-J.

Yes I am. Consistently right. Let's see, right about hulk 181 being worth more than a cerebus 1 in a 9.2 in 2014? Check.

Right, because that was the sum of the conversation, the value of Hulk #181 and Cerebus #1 in 9.2 in 2014.

lol

Check.

Right about hulk 271 going down in value as more and more of the corrected CGC labels made it into circulation ? Check.

I predict the sun will set in the west today.

Hey look, I was right! Check.

Right about no one being unable to show that a significant amount more than 100 copies of sandman 8b being verifiably in existence (I think you found about 52 so far)? Check.

I think there are only 6000 copies of New Mutants #98 still in existence, because there are 5742 on the census, and less than 250 raw copies for sale on eBay. Ipso, facto, 6,000 or less verifiable copies.

Prove me wrong. Go ahead. Prove it.

Check.

Right about additional copies of asm 301 hitting the census in 9.8? Check so far.

I predict that the next minute on the clock will be within 60 seconds of this one.

Look! I was right! Check.

Right about more copies of asm 301 hitting the market in a 9.8 and crushing the value ? Check. One copy couldn't even get a one bid of $750 the other day, with five other 9.8 copies on the market.

No one disagreed with you on this point. We're all winners! Check.

Right about asm 361 second print not selling for what it does now as additional copies hit the census and come to market, as the first printing continues to rise, a-la NM 98? Probably right. But as RMA stated, we can only wait and see for that one. (thumbs u

-J.

Making up all sorts of very carefully tailored statements to "prove" that I was right about everything I've ever posted? Check.

:whee:

-J.

-J.

That's good, because this says something completely different than what you originally said.

I mean...I know that you believe you understand what you think you said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you said is not what you meant.

Being willing to accept correction is a valuable skill.

(thumbs u

-J.

-J.

That's good, because this says something completely different than what you originally said.

I mean...I know that you believe you understand what you think you said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you said is not what you meant.

Being willing to accept correction is a valuable skill.

(thumbs u

:insane:

-J.

-J.

I'd argue that it is much more likely that more first prints will be slabbed in 9.8 going forward than second prints as the second is a tougher book in grade, thus increasing the disparity between available 9.8 copies even more than today's census shows. If this trend of demand for the second print continues this would cause the second print to potentially eclipse the first print in value.

Hell, if CGC would add the second prints of #361 and #362 to the registry sets like I've asked them to that alone would probably increase the demand right there...

hm

We have been getting $30+ for raw VF/NM or better ASM #361s for the past 4 years up here, and $40+ for the past two, with copies going for $50+ this year. :baiting:

It has been selling well above OSPG for the past few years. You price them high, put them out, they sell. Heck, this spring I sold my CGC 9.6 copy of #361 for $250 and 9.6 copy of #362 for $150. :banana:

Edited by kimik

hm

We have been getting $30+ for raw VF/NM or better ASM #361s for the past 4 years up here, and $40+ for the past two, with copies going for $50+ this year. :baiting:

It has been selling well above OSPG for the past few years. You price them high, put them out, they sell. Heck, this spring I sold my CGC 9.6 copy of #361 for $250 and 9.6 copy of #362 for $150. :banana:

Pffft. You're special.

:grin:

hm

Pffft. You're special.

:grin:

I was actually speechless when the guy handed me the $$$ for the 9.6 #361. He did not even haggle - he just handed me the money and said thanks. I could not believe it. I did not have the #362 out at that point as I did not think the #361 would sell at that price, so I quickly stickered it and within an hour it was gone.

Right about hulk 271 going down in value as more and more of the corrected CGC labels made it into circulation ? Check.

-J.

Because more corrected labels weren't the result of the flood of CGC 9.8 copies and 9.8 floods from CGC never drive down prices (regardless of any issue notes on the label) and that's not the argument you're making about ASM 361 second prints?

-J.

Because more corrected labels weren't the result of the flood of CGC 9.8 copies and 9.8 floods from CGC never drive down prices (regardless of any issue notes on the label) and that's not the argument you're making about ASM 361 second prints?

Stop trying to interrupt the legend in the making.

-J.

Actually that has happened multiple times (hulk 181 and x men 94 being two of the most high profile and notorious examples I can think of right off the top of my head). It is generally know that it is a spectacularly bad idea to seek out and pay beyond top dollar for a book simply because it currently "appears rare" or "rare in high grade" on the census. At least if you are concerned about "not losing money on the deal". Particularly with copper age books, where there is very little that is actually "rare".

-J.