• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I am confused! Why do people crack open their CGC graded comics?
2 2

214 posts in this topic

Some just do it to irritate the slabbies.
I admit, I get pleasure from this.....,

I cracked three slabs this morning.....,

I think I'm up to a couple hundred at this point, and I haven't updated the census once - suck it CGC! :banana:

I see no logical reason at all to open up a slabbed comic.... you payed to have it graded, or you bought it already slabbed, sooo why open it ?

the handful of comics i have graded and slabbed up are going to stay that way with whatever grade i have. if i decide i'd like to read that issue i'll just search for a digital copy and read it here at work..

Everytime someone opens a slabbed comic, a kitten gets punched.....

I agree 100%! No logical reason. If you want to touch, smell and read... buy a rag to go along with your graded book. The only exception to his rule may be a mega key in a case where you can't afford two copies.

On anther note, the argument that CGC graded books don't bring a premium is generally a bunch of . They do in most cases...especially key books.

bah - only key books. Most CGC slabs I've bought were ended at less than OSPG.

I see no logical reason at all to open up a slabbed comic.... you payed to have it graded, or you bought it already slabbed, sooo why open it ?

the handful of comics i have graded and slabbed up are going to stay that way with whatever grade i have. if i decide i'd like to read that issue i'll just search for a digital copy and read it here at work..

I agree 100%! No logical reason. If you want to touch, smell and read... buy a rag to go along with your graded book. The only exception to his rule may be a mega key in a case where you can't afford two copies.

On anther note, the argument that CGC graded books don't bring a premium is generally a bunch of . They do in most cases...especially key books.

Thanks for calling everyone who cracks their books out illogical.

People who crack their books out want the book in the slab, not the slab. Why is that so hard to understand? I crack most of my personal books out because I want to touch them, smell them and see them in person.

If I wanted a reprint I'd buy a reprint but I don't want a reprint. I want the real thing, and I enjoy the extra assurance that I get from buying a slabbed book by having it graded and resto checked impartially.

And I agree that many books carry premiums within the holder but not all books do. For some books the holder is incidental to the value.

If someone is only perusing keys, I could see why they would have a hard time wrapping their head around the idea of someone cracking their slabs.

But I'm trying to put together a runs of minor Silver DC titles. Vast majority of the issues aren't key. I'm happy with 8.0-9.0 copies and CGC copies in those grades sell for about the same as raws. And sometimes a graded copy comes available before/more often than a comparable raw. Besides, I have limited space for my collection.

So I can't wrap my head around the amount of space it would take to have all the issues in those runs graded. And considering the above, I really don't see any justification for it. Plus, I personally find it more aesthetically pleasing to have my books in Mylars. But I grew up buying comics off the spinner rack, CGC grading is a relatively new development for me.

If someone is only perusing keys, I could see why they would have a hard time wrapping their head around the idea of someone cracking their slabs.

But I'm trying to put together a runs of minor Silver DC titles. Vast majority of the issues aren't key. I'm happy with 8.0-9.0 copies and CGC copies in those grades sell for about the same as raws. And sometimes a graded copy comes available before/more often than a comparable raw. Besides, I have limited space for my collection.

So I can't wrap my head around the amount of space it would take to have all the issues in those runs graded. And considering the above, I really don't see any justification for it. Plus, I personally find it more aesthetically pleasing to have my books in Mylars. But I grew up buying comics off the spinner rack, CGC grading is a relatively new development for me.

this too

I crack books out of slabs, but I won't pay extra for the slab, so it's no loss to me. I think they look better in mylar, and even if I don't ever get around to reading the book, I like to know that I can easily. I do usually leave books slabbed if I plan to sell them right away, as even if it doesn't add extra price value, it might make it easier to sell.

The only time I hesitate to crack is when I think CGC has been generous with the grade. I end up thinking if I decide to sell, I will have an easier time calling the book the grade if I'm selling it as a CGC X.X than as a raw, where my feeling is it should be a lesser grade. I usually end up cracking anyway.

I probably wouldn't crack a CGC 9.8 -10.0, but it's highly unlikely that I'd ever have reason to purchase one either.

Have you ever held and paged through an ultra high grade Silver Age book?

It is a wonderful experience, especially when the book is fresh. It gives you a feel for how all the books were new that a "rag" cannot. There's nothing that can mimic that experience.

And...unless you have your own collection from decades ago, or magically stumble across someone else's, the only real chance you have these days to do that is with a slab that you crack.

That's a pretty damn fine logical reason right there.

Like fine wine, and other fine items, it is an experience that must be felt, and cannot be explained.

If I want to read the slabs I have purchased, I usually just get a digital copy and read it on my iPad.

Same goes with most of my raw copies…I really do not want to handle the comic itself and risk damaging it.

It is a wonderful experience, especially when the book is fresh. It gives you a feel for how all the books were new that a "rag" cannot. There's nothing that can mimic that experience.

And...unless you have your own collection from decades ago, or magically stumble across someone else's, the only real chance you have these days to do that is with a slab that you crack.

That's a pretty damn fine logical reason right there.

Like fine wine, and other fine items, it is an experience that must be felt, and cannot be explained.

:applause:

I crack most of my personal books out because I want to touch them, smell them and see them in person.

and make sweet, sweet love to them..., KinXB4yiq.gif

I crack books out of slabs, but I won't pay extra for the slab, so it's no loss to me. I think they look better in mylar, and even if I don't ever get around to reading the book, I like to know that I can easily. I do usually leave books slabbed if I plan to sell them right away, as even if it doesn't add extra price value, it might make it easier to sell.

The only time I hesitate to crack is when I think CGC has been generous with the grade. I end up thinking if I decide to sell, I will have an easier time calling the book the grade if I'm selling it as a CGC X.X than as a raw, where my feeling is it should be a lesser grade. I usually end up cracking anyway.

I probably wouldn't crack a CGC 9.8 -10.0, but it's highly unlikely that I'd ever have reason to purchase one either.

...... this.

.....like that hip hop 90''s tune " I crack big books and I cannot lie...."

GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Funny books. :grin:

Lulz, guess I've punched a lot of kittens. I suspect the powerful attachment to slabs is from a newer generation of collectors, ones too young to have bought books off the rack that turned out to be valuable after many decades, and who haven't bought back issues in the unslabbed or cracked out state so they could build runs to be read and re-read. Even putting aside the chance to access the entire comic rather than just the covers, to me comics are much more beautiful in mylars rather than slabs, and most beautiful of all in hand.

For me, comics are for collecting, slabs are for selling.

I've cracked every slab I've bought from you, Bob. :whistle:

:o

Kitten puncher.

Lulz, guess I've punched a lot of kittens. I suspect the powerful attachment to slabs is from a newer generation of collectors, ones too young to have bought books off the rack that turned out to be valuable after many decades, and who haven't bought back issues in the unslabbed or cracked out state so they could build runs to be read and re-read. Even putting aside the chance to access the entire comic rather than just the covers, to me comics are much more beautiful in mylars rather than slabs, and most beautiful of all in hand.

Kitten puncher.

lol

Kitten puncher.

lol

It's much more effective to just step on their heads.

I crack out my slabs, too.

But I'm wondering --

Does anyone have a point where they say, if the book is worth X amount, or I paid X amount (X being, in your opinion, a lot of money, where the book takes on an investment quality), then it is better to just leave the book in the slab afterall?

This is something I'm wrestling with at the moment...

I haven't cracked out my Avengers 3 in 9.0 yet. Maybe with the right amount of Wild Turkey some night....., :think:

Bird up, my friend. Bird up. cheers.gif