• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Classic PCH stories
1 1

290 posts in this topic

Shrunken Skull lotsa fun, and since I'd sold my Skeleton Island like having that winner. Death's Beggar nice example of how

Fawcett elaborated their stories to good effect.

Here's three perfectly paced pages by Howie Post from Mystery Tales #12.

img8670.jpg

YOWZA....... That's a good 'un. This is such a cool thread. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Yes sir! Whether you want a 10 page horror story or the 3 page "quick jolt" like the Wolverton or this one from Mystery Tales, PCH has it covered! Interesting to start noticing the page length of stories from different publishers. Atlas is usually 5 pages with the occasional 3 pager. Ace seemed to like the 7 page format while Fawcett likes 10. I'm wondering if the shorter stories were more of a marketing scheme to promote a "more stories in each issue" campaign from some of the publishers? hm

I think if you're signing a contract with Satan, you should probably get a higher level of service than just pushing two guys out of vehicles and pushing the third into an octopus tank. Guy should have shopped around a bit more. (shrug)

"I'll String Along" reminds me a lot of a Twilight Zone Episode whose name escapes me at the moment. It was near a creek and involved the hanging of a man......there are a few other life-blinks-before-your eye moments in these precode stories.

Wrath of Satan was pretty demented since one of the carni operators shared my last name.

-Mr. Slade

"An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" by Ambrose Bierce was the first time TZ aired something they didn't film. The 1891 story was adapted as part of a trilogy of half-hour films by French director Roberto Enrico in 1962. Both story (one of the greatest short stories) and films (the Bierce trilogy) highly recommended.

link goes to one of the three films and thence to the others...

Edited by pcalhoun

I think if you're signing a contract with Satan, you should probably get a higher level of service than just pushing two guys out of vehicles and pushing the third into an octopus tank. Guy should have shopped around a bit more. (shrug)

Service has gone to Hell! :shy:

Though you gotta love the octopus (spelled Octapus on the sign) waiting with open arms! lol

"An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" by Ambrose Bierce was the first time TZ aired something they didn't film. The 1891 story was adapted as part of a trilogy of half-hour films by French director Roberto Enrico in 1962. Both story (one of the greatest short stories) and films (the Bierce trilogy) highly recommended.

link goes to one of the three films and thence to the others...

Thanks for that link! "An Occurrence..." is a classic short film based on a great story. Didn't realize it was part of a trilogy. "Chickamauga" is a very creepy Bierce story, looking forward to watching their adaptation.

Bierce is underrated as a classic early American horror/supernatural writer. Another comic adaptation of one of his great stories follows below.

Happy Halloween!

July 25, 1948 Philadelphia Sunday Bulletin "Fun Book" tabloid size Sunday comics newspaper section. Includes Will Eisner's Spirit presenting this adaptation of Ambrose Bierce's "The Damned Thing," here titled simply "The Thing".

150827.jpg.16712671ffecd33b382e8c78a1c8ad51.jpg

150828.jpg.5e0d571b394a6dd57b49a8d0c7443eab.jpg

150829.jpg.e0db518aca37ece4c58a36b3abeb4224.jpg

150830.jpg.5acd2c1af8bd44a7efd4bca2f7530781.jpg