• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman #1 Club
7 7

1,818 posts in this topic

there are 640 in 9.4 or better

And that's a fraction of the ones that could be slabbed and get similar grades, especially if they were slabbed without any concerted attempt to limit the number of nosebleed grades.

None of which is to say that they aren't worth something. Or even that it's really any of my business whether a guy can convince somebody to buy a 9.8 thinking it will put his his grandkids through college. But when the same guy(s) can't stand to see any rare desirable item they don't own go for the same money, and they work hard to suppress it while pumping their longboxes full of 9.8 commons then they're inviting clarification.

Hulk 181 is a cool book, ,and kids all over the world love it. But nobody who took the time to think about it would agree that all the world's existing copies of Hulk 181 should logically be worth several dozen or a hundred times more than all the existing copies of Batman 1 But that's what you'd probably get if you took sample sales results and multiplied them by the actual census of slabbed and unslabbed copies.

I tried to join the club but the bidding got too high for me.

What did you guys think of the price this hashed up, incomplete Batman 1 achieved on ebay?

$3050

Pretty good price for missing the cover, 2 full wraps, and the back page. I bid over what I thought value was and still was outbid.

I may never be able to join this club.

Here's the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-Comics-Batman-1-The-Legend-of-The-Batman-/221574248618?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3396dab8aa

The bidding exceeded its current market price. Not that I don't think a copy in that condition should be worth that. I think it should be, and will be. But it's not at the moment, and you can get copies six to ten times as good for three or four times that money. How long that will continue, I don't know. But for now, if you believe most other keys are worth what they're getting, then Bat 1s are way below what they should be, comparatively speaking.

I tried to join the club but the bidding got too high for me.

What did you guys think of the price this hashed up, incomplete Batman 1 achieved on ebay?

$3050

Pretty good price for missing the cover, 2 full wraps, and the back page. I bid over what I thought value was and still was outbid.

I may never be able to join this club.

Here's the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-Comics-Batman-1-The-Legend-of-The-Batman-/221574248618?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3396dab8aa

Well as a whole it may not be "worth" it however getting most of a Batman 1 for 3K is a near impossible task these days. We have seen copies missing the covers and 1st wrap sell for over 5K with brittle pages.

The problem I see with this copy is that it got hit by water as some of the colors have bleed and it has rust at the staple points.

The good aspect is it has the 2 most important pages and it could be cleaned up and pieced out for a profit.

That being said I need that first page to complete my copy so if the winner is reading this please contact me if it is for sale or trade. Thanks

James G

Hulk 181 is a cool book, ,and kids all over the world love it. But nobody who took the time to think about it would agree that all the world's existing copies of Hulk 181 should logically be worth several dozen or a hundred times more than all the existing copies of Batman 1.

The value of in demand volume beats out the value of rarity all the time. That's why, for example, high end wine makers don't bank as much as jug wine companies.

And there's another factor you aren't considering: Price point. Far far far more people can afford a 181 than can afford a Batman 1. So there is a lot more money available to buy 181s than to buy Batman 1s.

Hulk 181 is a cool book, ,and kids all over the world love it. But nobody who took the time to think about it would agree that all the world's existing copies of Hulk 181 should logically be worth several dozen or a hundred times more than all the existing copies of Batman 1.

The value of in demand volume beats out the value of rarity all the time. That's why, for example, high end wine makers don't bank as much as jug wine companies.

And there's another factor you aren't considering: Price point. Far far far more people can afford a 181 than can afford a Batman 1. So there is a lot more money available to buy 181s than to buy Batman 1s.

Re: "The value of in demand volume beats out the value of rarity all the time"

I wasn't comparing Hulk 181 to a copy of Life Magazine from 1940. I was comparing it to Batman 1. It seems odd to imply that Hulk 181 is "in demand" whereas Batman 1 doesn't have and couldn't generate the same demand and has only a greater "rarity.".

I was talking about books that should have similar demand if they existed in equal numbers, yet we see that books with similar appeal (or even lesser appeal) get values greater than the other not because they are more in demand but specifically because they are greater in number.

And I was pointing out that that occurs because the fewer copies of a book that exists the fewer there are dealers who have them (and fewer dealers are confident they can supply as many as they get requests for) so the sellers underplay the value of the rare items in favor of the more plentiful items that they have (and can easily get)

price point explains the interest in books that are substantially cheaper. But when you high grade copies of a common book selling for more than presentable low grade copies of a rare book with equal or greater significance, fame, etc even when there are far more copies of the common item in high grade than total copies of the rare item, then the common item can only reach higher prices through strategic hoarding and strategic hype of items that easily replenished.

Edited by bluechip

A bit of premature speculation here...

But if Jared Leto is cast as the Joker of the new DC cinematic universe, if the character is portrayed well and if Suicide Squad ends up being a major hit, I could see Batman #1 picking up some serious steam. We've yet to see an "Arkhamverse" type Joker in film and I could see Leto being a fantastic fit for the role.

Batman 1 doesn't need any movie hype to pick up steam lol

+1

And anyways, I doubt anyone could portray any type of Joker as well as Heath Ledger did his Joker IMO

I'm as big a fan of Ledger's Joker as anyone. His interpretation of the character was immortal. But I also feel that there are other takes on the character that have yet to be explored in film. No doubt Ledger will be a tough act to follow, but an "Arkhamverse" type take on the character would be so different, I believe fans could view it with a fresh pair of eyes, just as many did with Ledger's very different interpretation.

This is a cool thread, some interesting stuff about Bob Kane's PC and Joker's boner, lol. I came for the chance to look at Batman #1 covers and got so much more out of it, lol!

Just FYI, since I thought someone here might be interested, I'm selling a cover only of Batman #7, it's a pretty cool cover Batman #7 Cover only

It's official: Jared Leto has been cast as the Joker in Suicide Squad.

This has the potential to be epic, for reasons I've already mentioned.

If you thought Batman #1 was a hot book before, just wait until we see what the future has in store.

This news won't have a measurable affect on demand for batman 1 , one iota. It already has insatiable demand. Get real folks and stop trying to spew hype (not directed at anyone , just a general response)

Just be happy and hopeful we get a cool movie ;)