• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #3 Club - The Doc Rocks!
5 5

145 posts in this topic

Hey Spyder I just realized that the close up of the date stamp, fourth one down (the earliest one, April 3, 1963) is actually MY book. lol

Where did you get that image from?

-J.

Haha, that is funny. All of the images I found were from Heritage. Thanks for posting and joining the club!

Hey Spyder I just realized that the close up of the date stamp, fourth one down (the earliest one, April 3, 1963) is actually MY book. lol

Where did you get that image from?

-J.

Haha, that is funny. All of the images I found were from Heritage. Thanks for posting and joining the club!

No kidding ? I don't recall it being a heritage book, but either way it just goes to show how small the comic book collecting world really can be. lol Glad to be in the club ! :banana:

-J.

I thought the Doc was cool but until Amazing Spider-Man #700 I had no idea. He may be even more of a bad guy that the Green Goblin at this point. Superior Spider-Man was just superb!

+1

I would put Doc Ock and Venom neck and neck as Spidey's top villains. They could have milked that story line in SS for years. I really wish they would have kept it going longer. So many ways they could have gone with it. I was bummed to hear they were rebooting the whole title so quickly.

-J.

I would say that Doc Ock and the Green Goblin are tied as Spidey's top villains historically, while Venom and the Kingpin are both very interesting for their own reasons as well. Here is what I find so interesting about each as he matches up with the Web Slinger:

1) Dr. Octopus is a genius and a mental match for Peter Parker.

2) The Green Goblin is straight-up insane, making him incredibly unpredictable.

3) Venom is a physical match for Spidey, with the distinct advantage of not setting off his spider sense.

4) The Kingpin plays the role of puppet-master, often the driving force behind everything. His influence is wide-spread.

My final opinion is that it's hard to beat what the Green Goblin did in killing Gwen. Gun to my head, I say the Goblin wins, but it is fun to discuss!

I would say that Doc Ock and the Green Goblin are tied as Spidey's top villains historically, while Venom and the Kingpin are both very interesting for their own reasons as well. Here is what I find so interesting about each as he matches up with the Web Slinger:

1) Dr. Octopus is a genius and a mental match for Peter Parker.

2) The Green Goblin is straight-up insane, making him incredibly unpredictable.

3) Venom is a physical match for Spidey, with the distinct advantage of not setting off his spider sense.

4) The Kingpin plays the role of puppet-master, often the driving force behind everything. His influence is wide-spread.

My final opinion is that it's hard to beat what the Green Goblin did in killing Gwen. Gun to my head, I say the Goblin wins, but it is fun to discuss!

If it were just a choice between goblin and doc ock I would give the edge to doc ock. Goblin didn't technically kill Gwen Stacey, spidey did. Villains have thrown damsels off from buildings countless times before, so that doesn't make goblin unique. What made the storyline different and especially poignant is that Peter parker technically killed her.

Whereas doc ock "killed" Peter parker. You can't really top that. lol And Venom is just plain cool. Well at least the Venom in the earlier storylines.

-J.

Goblin didn't technically kill Gwen Stacey, spidey did. Villains have thrown damsels off from buildings countless times before, so that doesn't make goblin unique. What made the storyline different and especially poignant is that Peter parker technically killed her.

The Goblin killed her the moment he threw her off the bridge. Spidey just wasn't successful in saving her. Had he done nothing, she would have been dead as soon as she hit the water.

Goblin didn't technically kill Gwen Stacey, spidey did. Villains have thrown damsels off from buildings countless times before, so that doesn't make goblin unique. What made the storyline different and especially poignant is that Peter parker technically killed her.

The Goblin killed her the moment he threw her off the bridge. Spidey just wasn't successful in saving her. Had he done nothing, she would have been dead as soon as she hit the water.

lol That's one way to look at it. Though spidey himself still took some personal responsibility and if I remember correctly, he later ended up practicing different methods for stopping someone mid-fall so that their own momentum wouldn't snap their neck again. A slick lawyer would argue that spiderman was in fact negligent, and spidey's defense would argue that the goblin was the intervening factor. A jury could reasonably find some contributory negligence on spiderman's part, but with minimal damages for liability.

Okay now I'm being a little too nerdy even for me. lol

-J.

After selling everything several months ago, I just rejoined the club myself (with a real ugly raw copy).

Please, post 'em if you've got 'em and I will update the list on the 1st page as they come in.

Thanks everyone. It feels good to be back!

Just noticing this club for the first time so thanks to mysterio for the bump and to Spyder for starting it in the first place!

I read the whole thread and gotta agree with Spyder's post from 10/19/14 along with aelelarkin's comment the following day.

And with that I'll request permission to come aboard…

ukku5Q.jpg

Edited by MintyMint

Just noticing this club for the first time so thanks to mysterio for the bump and to Spyder for starting it in the first place!

I read the whole thread and gotta agree with Spyder's post from 10/19/14 along with aelelarkin's comment the following day.

ukku5Q.jpg

Unbelievable! Absolutely gorgeous. One of my very favorite books and yours is otherworldly. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the club!

ukku5Q.jpg

Now that's something you don't see too often (thumbs u

There is an entry level copy in the Clink auction that just started if anyone is looking to join his club. (Not my book, I just noticed it as I browsed.)

Just checked this out, and that is a nice presenting 2.0. Hopefully it goes to a boardie who will post it here after winning it.

I may even go after this one. hm

ukku5Q.jpg

Wow. Sensational!

Congrats!!!

:applause: