• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,428 posts in this topic

I really like the cover of Four Color 291 as well. The green shade is really attractive on a well preserved copy.

But I'm pretty sure that isn't a Barks cover. Doesn't look at all like his Donald to me.

I feel so dirty. :sorry:

I really like the cover of Four Color 291 as well. The green shade is really attractive on a well preserved copy.

But I'm pretty sure that isn't a Barks cover. Doesn't look at all like his Donald to me.

Still a great cover. Buettner was no slouch.

Too true! I guess I can change my comment to, "Top 10 Donald Duck cover." :D

Too true! I guess I can change my comment to, "Top 10 Donald Duck cover." :D

We'll allow that. :)

FourColorComics2291copy_zpsaaddc755.jpg

When I read "The Magic Hour Glass" story recently, it struck me how different the Arabic world was perceived in 1950 compared to today. The nomadic lifestyle reflected in the story must seem absurdly outdated to a youtube kid whose reference frame probably is built up watching videos like

. Comparing to political situation today, there's something charmingly naive about the world view reflected in Barks stories. "The Magic Hour Glass" also made me think of the "Pipeline to Danger" story (Uncle Scrooge 30) which laments the cultural and environmental changes brought on by the oil industry. When I watch the evening news today, I could only wish that those were the problems we were faced with in 2014.

One thing I like about old comics is that they can remind you how people used to see the world very differently from the way we take for granted.

Got my first Duck this week. :whee:

2m3kbic.jpg

15qsnrd.jpg

Great beginning! First Scrooge and a great story. I also like the non gloss covers of this era.

Thanks! That's interesting that you mention the non gloss because, when I got it, I wondered if it was supossed to be like that or if it had just worn away. I actually quite like it, too.

Gotta get FC 386 now.

2m3kbic.jpg

15qsnrd.jpg

Great beginning! First Scrooge and a great story. I also like the non gloss covers of this era.

Thanks! That's interesting that you mention the non gloss because, when I got it, I wondered if it was supossed to be like that or if it just worn away. I actually quite like it, too.

Gotta get FC 386 now.

:cry:

Great, just great, even more competition :sorry:

2m3kbic.jpg

15qsnrd.jpg

Thanks! That's interesting that you mention the non gloss because, when I got it, I wondered if it was supossed to be like that or if it just worn away. I actually quite like it, too.

Gotta get FC 386 now.

Very nice start! Good luck with your collection. (thumbs u